Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • film endings you never understood?
  • racefaceec90

right off the bat there are two that come to mind for me.

2001 and the 2nd matrix film.

have just googled 2001 and am a bit clearer on the ending now,but god knows what the ending of that matrix film was about 😐

CHB

Sleeples in Seatle. What is this love thing of which they speak?

RealMan
    Free Member

My understanding on the ending of 2001 was that it was rubbish and I’m never going to watch it again.

The Fountain took me a while to understand, but I think I’ve got my head wrapped around it now. Fantastic film.

Getting in there nice and early with Primer – just wtf.

Mulholland Drive – so they woke up and it was all a dream? I can remember being told that was an awful ending to a story back when I was 8 years old. So I can’t understand how that ending got made.

samuri
    Free Member

Clearly I’m a bit thick and I’ll not doubt evoke the wrath of STW here but ‘the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind’ made little sense to me. The film is simple to understand and I like that it’s a bit cleverer than normal hollywood films but I fail to understand the point of the film.

I understand far more complex films but this just did nothing for me.

samuri
    Free Member

now you see, Primer. That’s not a great film but it’s very difficult to understand. You get that front the start and you realise it’s a challenger and engage it at that level. You think about it and start to understand it.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Lost in Translation – it definitely was lost on me.

honeybadgerx

The Fountain took me a while to understand, but I think I’ve got my head wrapped around it now. Fantastic film.

Seconded.

Hmm… trying to think of my own now.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Donny Darko.
    Well, sort of. I thought I got it but also thought it had something a bit deeper going on.

scaredypants

Shane

how come he didn’t shoot the kid ?

falkirk-mark

toy story, it was a bit over my head.

RealMan
    Free Member

now you see, Primer. That’s not a great film but it’s very difficult to understand. You get that front the start and you realise it’s a challenger and engage it at that level. You think about it and start to understand it.

I was fine with it, up until the point when he put a time machine in another time machine. Then I pretty much gave up trying to understand it, and it just got worse and worse. It’s almost a film to be studied rather than watched. Very complex.

Clearly I’m a bit thick and I’ll not doubt evoke the wrath of STW here but ‘the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind’ made little sense to me. The film is simple to understand and I like that it’s a bit cleverer than normal hollywood films but I fail to understand the point of the film.

A great film IMO, but if you didn’t like it you could try Garden State, Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World, or even Wristcutters: A Love Story. Similar sort of films, basically a love story at heart, but different from normal stuff you see.

youngrob

+1 for Mulholland Drive. I’ve watched it again and still didn’t really get it.

tomhoward

The ending of the second matrix film isn’t an ending as such, as the 3rd film just carries straight on (think of 2 and 3 as one film, with an interval.)

tyger
    Free Member

No Country For Old Men – how did the Mexicans suddenly get involved and what happened to the money???

Pigface
    Free Member

Tyger the guy in the tower block who got shot by Chigurh hired them, thats why he got shot. Chigurh says you use one tool. Not sure about the money 🙂

PrinceJohn

The ending of Cabin in the woods- not so much I didn’t understand more where did that come from?!

stewartc
    Free Member

Dead Mans Shoes – How does he know (Richard) that the last guy is not lying about what he did to his brother and then decide to let him go?
    American Psycho – Did he actually kill those people?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Because they chose to forget their past mistakes they were doomed to repeat them.

dknwhy

Magnolia – but then I watched it years ago whilst drunk so might be a bit clearer now.
    Lost in Translation was a bit odd as nothing really happens. Was the whole point of it that it’s a chance meeting between 2 randoms who both become connected and have a “spark” but then have a sadness because they go back to their old lives and realise they’ll never meet again?
    I liked it. Reminded me of holiday romances in my youth. 😀

dingabell
    Free Member

+1 Donnie Darko. Also Memento took me a while and I’m still not sure I have it right.

Cougar

Memento strikes a great balance of making you not understand it but making you believe that you probably could. Very clever.

ds1
    Free Member

THe King’s Speech – once they’d found out after 20 mins that they could cure his radio stutter by making him wear headphones, why did the film go on for another hour?

And I know for a fact that Deckard was NOT an android.

globalti
    Free Member

At the end of The Deerhunter the friends assembled for Nick’s funeral sing “God Bless America”. I never worked out whether they sang in bitter irony or genuine patriotism.

RustySpanner

Another for Donnie Darko.
    Read all the explanations, but doubt that anyone would have worked it all out by themselves.

Had to watch The Prestige twice before I fully got it.
    Musn’t have been paying attention!

rkk01
    Free Member

Titanic

Daft bint. WTF did she chuck the jewel overboard???

dooosuk
    Free Member

Lost Highway had me confused. Might have to watch it again soon.

kimbers

titanic was utter bollox

CoolLesterSmooth
    Free Member

American Psycho, haven’t seen the film but I got the same feeling from the book – not sure it wasn’t all in his mind.

spawnofyorkshire

Solaris – got to the end and couldn’t understand how that pile of navel-gazing effluent was ever made. It still winds me up that i wasted the time watching it. Soderberg is heavily overrated and half his films are just hand-shandys to his artistic bent.

Otherwise i didn’t understand who would have been driving the boat at the end of taken 😉

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

2001: the guy becomes the star child to oversee the creation of a new world in 2010 by converting Jupiter to a sun using mostly black bricks.

chrisa87
    Free Member

The kill list. Starts off really grim as it was described to me, but just goes off on a really bizarre tangent.

philconsequence
    Free Member

with Memento, try watching it with this in mind: black and white is in the right order, everything in colour is backwards. (or the other way around… its been a while since i watched it)

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we talk about the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes?

emsz
    Free Member

The lady in the water?

Not just the ending which is bad enough, the whole film is like ” WTF”

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

The key to Mulholland Drive is remembering that the scenes are not in chronological order.
    It is still not easy to work out but at least it starts to make some sense.

alcol70
    Free Member

Titanic

Daft bint. WTF did she chuck the jewel overboard???

Titanic again.
    Daft bint again. There was like LOADS of room for two people on that plank.

Besides which it was an awful awful awful awful film.

portlyone

The opposite of the OP:

Sphere. The WTF ending from the book is changed giving it a clear ending and destroying the whole point of the film.

_tom_
    Free Member

Primer. I’ve seen it about 5 times now and only just started making sense of it when I saw that somebody had made a flow chart to help explain it.

portlyone

There was like LOADS of room for two people on that plank.

Mythbusters covered it, both could have made it out alive.

Paulio
    Free Member

A Tale of Two Sisters. Great film with a totally bonkers last 20 minutes that I still don’t think I understand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘film endings you never understood?’ is closed to new replies.