Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Film 4 tonight: The Keep.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Anyone who has a penchant for thoroughly weird Nazi occult thrillers should probably check out The Keep. Directed by none other than Michael Mann.

allthepies
    Free Member

It is a bit shite though 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

It’s great on acid.

jimjam
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

It is a bit shite though

Is it? I think in the harsh light of today it looks a bit hokey, but it was creepy for it’s time. I like it. I wouldn’t argue that it’s a great film but it’s certainly different.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I watched it last time it was recommended on here. What a pile of shit.

kimbers

Yeah I recommended it last time

Not everyone loves it. Michael Mann, Gabriel Byrne, Ian Mackellen, synth overload soundtrack , yeah its flawed but still special imho

jimjam
    Free Member

kimbers

Yeah I recommended it last time

Not everyone loves it. Michael Mann, Gabriel Byrne, Ian Mackellen, synth overload soundtrack , yeah its flawed but still special imho

Very much so. It has a spark of invention or uniqueness that modern films don’t seem to have.

deluded
    Free Member

I recall Kimbers PSA thread about a year ago. I watched it on that occasion for the second time and purchased Francis Wilsons graphic novel off the back of it. I thinks it’s great – one for the nerd herd though.

colournoise

Decent remake of the Mummy story with a cool 80s feel (if you’re a child of the 80s that is – if not, it probably feels a bit odd).

Euro
    Free Member

I saw it earlier this year for the first time. It wasn’t a classic by any stretch but i probably saw it 30 years too late. There’s deffo something about it – it’s bizarrely sinister for something that isn’t scary.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Is this the one that’s based on a comic?

deluded
    Free Member

No – it’s based on a novel.

codybrennan
    Free Member

‘The Keep has received generally negative reviews, with a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 27%.

F. Paul Wilson has publicly expressed his distaste for the film version, writing in the short story collection The Barrens (and Others) that it is, “Visually intriguing, but otherwise utterly incomprehensible.”’

jimjam
    Free Member

codybrennan

‘The Keep has received generally negative reviews, with a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 27%.

Regardless of The Keep, ignore Rotten Tomatoes for film reviews. It’s bullshit.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Thought the book was one of the best horror stories I’d read, but that was 30-odd years ago. The film, not so much.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I remember it. Definitely left an impression. Weird score. Man riding thru forests forever on a motorbike? Nazi bunker in said forest? Occult creature in said bunker?

Silllyyyyy but awesome at the same time. DiscIaimer: I was a child in the 80s.

samuri
    Free Member

What the problem here is up their own arse producers. The book is sweet. f the film is crap it’s becase producers are rubbish.

Which they are so often. This is why the boo is often so much bbetr than the film

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I remember it being filmed, used to go up to the quarry after school to watch, you could just wander around film sets back then.
    still remember the directors 911 up to it’s doors stuck in grey quarry silt !
    same quarry as Antur stiniog.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Film 4 tonight: The Keep.’ is closed to new replies.