Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Film 2010 WTF are the Beeb playin at ?
  • oldfart

Claudia Winkleman going to replace Ross ?????
    Mark Kermode not approached ?
    Someone high up on drugs or giving her one ?
    Unbelievable !

Andy

🙄

Talkemada
    Free Member

Thank F that they're getting rid of 'Wossy' at last. I haven't watched Film xxxx since Barry Norman left. Winkelman can hardly do a worse job. As for Commode; he's too up his own arse. Stupid hair cut too.

Drac

Mark Kermode not approached ?

Well least they got that one right.

oldfart

Hey little bro how ya doin ? Still overworked ? I know the feeling ! 😀
    Made up your mind about Exmoor yet ?

soulrider
    Free Member

Kermit or King.. no thanks..

I liked Ross – Winkleman will prob be alright..

hora
    Free Member

Film what? I didnt know it was still going. Hence the new presenter might actually breath some life into it. Even if she is a Umpa Lumpa.

Andy

LOL Old 'un. pretty busy at the moment. Stuff to do round the house at Easter I'm afraid. We will catch up later in April though…

oldfart

Beasting Brechfa then ! 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kermode said himself that he wouldn't be any good on it as it is far too populist a programme.

chakaping
    Free Member

So what's wrong with Claudia Winkleman then?

You haven't said.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I'm glad Mark Kermode didn't get it. I like him – but the old format of a single presenter/ critic giving his opinion on the films of the week seems old fashioned.

I imagine the new format will be more like a magazine show – with opinions offered by multiple/ guest critics. Its all in the execution but it could work quite well

jon1973
    Free Member

Kermode said himself that he wouldn't be any good on it as it is far too populist a programme.

You mean he's a snob.

uplink
    Free Member

Hang on whilst I crank up the old 'give a toss' meter

there we go
    it scores 2 [out of 11]

gonefishin
    Free Member

You mean he's a snob.

He's not a snob, however he does have very stongly held opinions that may not go down well in the mainstream. His opinion on the whole 3D thing for a start and his rant on Priates 3 (whilst accurate and a joy to behold) probably wouldn't garner too much favour with a mainstream audience.

kimbers

expect lots of glowing reviews for sandra bullock romcoms

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes he is a snob. Doesn't stop him being right sometimes of course.

Sandwich

La Winkelman does a passable job on her R2 review programme late at night.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I wonder if the time will change

the old show with J Ross and Barry Norman is on so late sometimes (like 11:30) the viewing figures must be tiny anyway

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He's far from a snob. He likes the High School Musical films FFS. He's brutally honest and knows he's a bore when it comes to the Horror genre.

hora
    Free Member

So what's wrong with Claudia Winkleman then?

In a nice way, what is she noted for? If your going to go with someone relatively unfamous why not go for an eccentric film critic/buff etc and give them their break?

I bet her agent leant on her roots etc to get her the job 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

expect lots of glowing reviews for sandra bullock romcoms

😛

It's been obvious for years now it was a ten minute autocue session for Ross. Now they're just adding a 'pretty?' face in to the mix.

Agree this sort of job should go to someone in it for the films not some journo or presenter in the biz looking for a stepping stone.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Hi profile opportunity for the BBC to be 'seen' to employ a woman older than 25.

No offence to Claudia, I have not seen her in anything, she may be great at the job. A public relations exercise only for the BEEB though, to help stall all the sexism complaints cos they keep sacking older women for no good reason at all.

atlaz
    Free Member

I just find her dull. She's like a low-rent Davina McCall (without the gurning) and that's saying something.

neninja
    Free Member

She usually comes across as a pretty nice lass. Apparently all the production teams/crews enjoy working with her as she's very grounded and doesn't expect special treatment like so many of these presenters. Her film review show on the radio is supposedly ok.

Fair play to her I say (not that I'll watch it).

konabunny
    Free Member

So…you don't know whether she's any good or deserves the job, but you do know that she only got the job because she's a woman older than 25? OK…

splatz
    Free Member

It's just another advert masquerading as a 'critical' review so Mark Kermode was never going to be first choice……not sad that JR has gone and have a soft spot for Claudia who seems a pretty good magazine type programme presenter with a sense of humour. What's not to like?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

"low rent Davina McColl"

Jings – I didn't know they came any more low-rent than Davina!

DaRC_L

ermm if you look at the Mark Kermode interview he took himself out of the running and Winkelman has (allegedly) and arts program on Radio2
    read it here beeb

Nick

I think I'll reserve judgement and give her a chance.

Got fed up with Woss licking leading actor arse and then rubbishing the film 30 seconds later.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

"So…you don't know whether she's any good or deserves the job, but you do know that she only got the job because she's a woman older than 25? OK… "

The timing of her appointment is remarkably close to all the criticism the BBC has just had about not valuing women other than as very young, pretty decoration. Beeb are also in the dog house over excessive pay and they need to improve their public image to save executive/talent salaries and to keep the licence fee. A lot of the public are 'older' women.

Look what has happened to MPs due to public awareness and disapproval – the BBC executives must be thinking of public image and their own employment/perks unless they are fools. In addition, fired female staff are starting to take legal action over the blatant sacking of 'older' women. How many complaints have been settled on the quiet with a no publicity clause? Call me cynical, but I prefer the term 'realist'.

How many occasions can you name in the last 10 years when the BBC has appointed an older (by BBC standards) woman in a high profile on screen role? Not many in comparison to the number of men put in the same position, despite women actually being a larger part of the general population.

I am happy to see a woman appointed. I think ageism in the BBC and indeed in entertainment/cinema is pretty despicable and a waste of available talent. It teaches young girls that in later life they will have no value as soon as they are not pretty/sexy enough and it encorages some men to hold that shallow view.

I am not going to kid myself that Claudia is appointed at this particular moment in time just for her ability alone, however good she might be. If BBC managers believed in talent alone, they would not have been sacking all the older (and often very popular with the public) female staff would they?

I hope she shows the BBC how wrong their attitude has been. Good luck to her.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Film 2010 WTF are the Beeb playin at ?’ is closed to new replies.