Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Filling in a job application. Any advice from HR types please ?
  • I really don’t know what to write in these things.
    I know that if it was down to a practical test, I’d pass easily, but I never seem to be able to put that in writing.

I’m applying for a job as an HGV mechanic in a council yard.

To the question;

Please explain how your skills, abilities , experience and achievements to date(including leisure and voluntary) would make you a suitable candidate for this post. Please refer to the criteria on the person specification.

I have written;

I have several years experience of inspecting, servicing and maintaining commercial vehicles, public service vehicles and plant.
    I am confident with diagnosing and repairing electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic faults.
    I am a skilled welder.
    I hold an HGV category C+E licence
    I am confident with using IT and electronic diagnostics.
    I am used to working late and early shifts and am flexible in meeting workload requirements.
    I am adaptable and enjoy learning new skills.

I compete in mountain bike orienteering events and endurance racing. I am physically fit and enjoy the combination of physical and mental challenge.

Does that sound good ?

geoffj

That all sounds a bit generic that could be made up. Give specifics and where possible refer directly to the criteria in the job spec e.g.

Criterion = Ability to weld
    Your comment = I’ve got x years experience using ocxy/acetelene / tig / mig equipment to repair chassis and bodywork…..

Any use?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The role profile will include what they list as essential for the job MAKE SURE YOU POUT DOWN EVERY SINGLE POINT THEY LIST AS ESSENTIAL WITH EVIDENCE
    I would advise putting down most of the desirable as well tbh
    In the role profile/person specification it will also say what they will be looking for in the application form- next to the criteria usually

It is best to just give examples – you dont need to write great paragraphs but they are more than llikely going to do a mechanical counting excercise to get your score
    For example if it say experienceing of working on hydraulic systems is essential you say

I have experience of working with hydraulic systesm include power assisted whatever wheilst employed at XXXX,. More recently i have become profficient in diagnostic with hydraulics whilst employed at XXX And i have begun to diagnose and repair faults such as XXXX

Do this for every single essential critieria – do it in order if it makes it easier

what you are trying to do is make it clear that you have every skill and abilit ythey request
    WItha council HR may actually cscore rather than a mechanic
    Always give examples dont just say I have – ie the welding above

I have welded thins sheet metal such as to XXX I have done safety critical welding to areas such as suspensions or chasis or whatever – if you know what the industry standard is mention it . Mention the types you can use [ unless you cannot use one that is essential then try and be vague enough to hint you can but dont actually say it :wink:- eg some experience of oxy acetelene welding – that experience may be only 2 minutes but it is some ]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Thanks for that.
    I’ve always had the opinion that job interviews, and the ability to do well at them, have got very little in common with the ability to do the job in question.
    I’ve always done best where it ends up with a face to face chat with the workshop manager and I can rely on one mechanic recognising knowledge of the job in another.
    I’m never optimistic when there’s a HR department in between.

IHN

Yeah, be specific:

I have several years experience of inspecting what kind of inspection?, servicing to what level and maintaining sounds vague commercial vehicles such as, public service vehicles such as and plant such as.
    I am confident with diagnosing and repairing electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic faults.
    I am a skilled welder what kind(s) of welding? Qualifications?.
    I hold an HGV category C+E licence for how long? Do you drive this stuff a lot, or do you just have the licence?
    I am confident with using IT such as and electronic diagnostics any particualr packages/brands/models etc.
    I am used to working late and early shifts and am flexible in meeting workload requirements.give examples
    I am adaptable and enjoy learning new skills. give examples

Basically, try and pre-empt the ‘follow-up’ type questions you’d expect at an interview

BristolPablo
    Free Member

We normally recommend the “STAR” approach, situation, task, action and result so what was the issue/problem, what options were available to you, what did YOU do and what was the benefit/positive result. I appreciate this lends itself to clerical jobs better than all jobs but it need only be a sentance on each element but something like….

“In my current role as a XXX qualified mechanic I am responsible for ensuring all hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic faults are quickly diagnosed and repaired to the satisfaction of my supervisor and within the required timescales.”

rather than

“I am confident with diagnosing and repairing electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic faults”

and

“In my current position, I manage a complex and varied workload prioritising tasks and consistently meet output targets. I am flexible and I am often required to work an irregular shift pattern to meet the workload.”

rather than

“I am used to working late and early shifts and am flexible in meeting workload requirements”

atlaz
    Free Member

Keep it concise but as the others have said ALWAYS give more than just “I can do X”. Give examples or explain why you can or some examples.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    The role profile will include what they list as essential for the job MAKE SURE YOU POUT DOWN EVERY SINGLE POINT THEY LIST AS ESSENTIAL WITH EVIDENCE

I would advise checking your spelling prior to submission too… 😉

honeybadgerx

This may be even more important if you’re having to go through an HR process rather than dealing with your potential new line manager but once you’ve submitted your application follow it up with phone calls to see what they thought of it, when they’ll be going through them, etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Filling in a job application. Any advice from HR types please ?’ is closed to new replies.