Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Figures in recent history you think are cool as (or reasonably like)
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Laird Hamilton.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

All Vulcan bomber pilots and crews

wrecker
    Free Member

When Sonny Bill Williams flew out of Australia in secrecy to take up a deal with French rugby side Toulon, there was no more hated individual in sport.

He was branded a traitor and topped polls for the most unpopular person in the country. He was banned from the NRL and had to pay $750,000 to the Bulldogs to get out of his contract. Since then he has won two World Cups with the All Blacks, won a national boxing title, married, became a father and won an NRL title with the Roosters.

More than that, the sporting world has seen the person that SBW is. There have been small things that he has done in the public eye; his offer on Twitter to give World Cup tickets to refugees and, of course, the way he leapt to a young fan’s aid when he was tackled by a security guard and proceeded to give him his medal was seen by the world.

In the background to all of that SBW had made a decision to go to visit children in refugee camps in Lebanon. He was first shown vision of what children in those areas were enduring before the World Cup when he was given a virtual tour of the camp.

It doesn’t mention his conversion to islam, or the fact that he was a bit of a shit before it. One example of religion being a positive influence. He’s not a world changer but certainly someone I admire for doing stuff he doesn’t have to. High hopes for him after rugby.

SaxonRider

Honestly, I could easily bring this thread to a close by naming Canada’s Prime Minsiter from 1968 until 1984, Pierre Trudeau.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, if we’re doing Canadian politicians, I nominate Harjit Sajjan.

DrJ

Well, if we’re doing Canadian politicians, I nominate Harjit Sajjan.

Respect to bencooper for knowing more than one Canadian politician. For extra credit – name a single Belgian one 🙂

tsmado

Tim Gould, the greatest unsung rider Great Britain has produced…

dragon
    Free Member

Kieran Hebden aka Four Tet and Dan Snaith aka Caribou.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Norbert Dentressangle

alanf
    Free Member

VR46

failedengineer

Leonard Cohen.

senorj

Clint Eastwood.
    The Beastie Boys.
    Vanessa Feltz.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Elon Musk
    Steve Irwin
    The first dude to knock a bit out the Berlin wall on telly.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nelson Mandela
    Tony Benn
    Paddy Ashdown
    Steve Irwin
    Aneurin Bevan
    Rick Jolly
    Sid ‘prof’ Watkins
    Ayrton Senna
    And Valentino Rossi.

I think they’re all cool in different ways. Cool to me anyway 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Ernestine Shepherd, fitter than a butchers dog, redefining “getting on a bit”
    a truly inspirational woman.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Figures in recent history you think are cool as (or reasonably like)’ is closed to new replies.