• This topic has 33 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Fighting the urge to buy a new bike
  • wukfit
    Free Member

Why can’t I stop buying things?
    Seen a really good deal on a 2017 bike, and would love to have it
    Could just about afford it, and if I could sell my bike quickly it would be fine
    Thing is I’ve already have 2 mountain bikes and one road bike, but have ridden about 30mile total this year (just bought new wheels and tyres for the HT)
    I know I should probably just ride what I’ve got, but the new bike is nibbling away at me and it’s all I can think about, I haven’t bought a brand new bike since I was 12
    Does anyone else have this addiction to buying stuff?

Bregante

Is it sufficiently different to what you already have which might possibly give you the kick up the arse to start riding more?

Can you afford it?

If yes to both of the above – go for it. If not – don’t.

weeksy

ME too, but with an engine in it. From a MTB perspective, i’m very happy.

m0rk
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a new bike if you’ve only ridden 30 miles.

You need it to get your mojo back

Succumb to it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yolo and fomo…..
    My resistance is weak too, picked something out and working out how much I could get for the brakes as my purple e4s just arrived

wukfit
    Free Member

My current bike is a 2013 orange five, last of the 26ers, looking at the 2017 five
    650b and boost hub spacing, sounds reasonably future proof (compared to what I’ve got) but who knows with the bike industry

lazybike
    Free Member

Yep..me too, have no need for a full suspension bike but still keep looking at them.

jamiep
    Free Member

I recently sold a frame because I have no room so of course I’ve just bought another complete bike (and the frame isn’t actually out of the door yet)

sharkattack

looking at the 2017 five
    650b and boost hub spacing,

I borrowed one of these for a weekend and it was amAAAAzing. Not an Orange fan usually but it was a vast improvement over any other Orange I’ve ridden before.

Sorry can’t help with your dilemma though.

ElVino

I’m gripped by the opposite phenomenon – fear of buying something that will be an evolutionary dead end. My only mountain bike is a 2006 (I think) Orange 5. I have money put aside to buy something new but can’t commit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fear of buying something that will be an evolutionary dead end.

As said previously, you can still buy 26″rims and tyres, 9sp drive train parts and all the rest. Hope hube for example cover nearly all bases so your chances of being left stuck are minimal.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No such problems here, I worked out a while ago it’s all bullshit.

Other things make you happier, without costing money.

scandal42
    Free Member

I recently gave in and pressed buy. Up until the last 2 weeks I had ridden less than you this year.

Getting amongst it now though 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Stop looking at bikes and ride more, then see if you still want a new bike.

And definitely get out and demo more bikes (and wheel sizes) before splashing £4k or whatever on a new Five.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Why can’t I stop buying things?

Because that’s the way of the world.
    We go to work to earn money
    Which makes us miserable
    So we buy things to make us happy
    So we need to go to work to earn more money
    Which makes us miserable
    So we buy more things to make us happy
    So……….

You get the picture.
    And yes i’m as guilty as anyone else

But onto the question, I’m kind of of the school of making justifiable purchases, and if you’ve only ridden 30mi in 2017, then i’d be saying n+1 really isn’t that justifiable – need to address the reasons you aren’t riding first, and then treat yourself once riding has become a regular part of life again.

kayla1
    Free Member

Yep..me too, have no need for a full suspension bike but still keep looking at them.

Me too :/ It’s pretty hard to ride the ‘want’ wave out if you can afford the thing you want but it’s do-able. I’m currently wanting a medium Rocket after selling a small Flare even though it’s really nice being back to just one bike (HT) 😡

cookeaa

The policy for me is ‘One in, one out’ with a “fleet” of four bikes, one of which is a dedicated commuter.

It’s self-enforced but it works, prevents replication of use and keeps maintenance requirements manageable…

Just tell yourself you can have the new, shiny toy, but only after you flog whatever it’s replacing. That forces you to really consider the decision, can you go without a certain bike for a period of time?

alanf
    Free Member

No such problems here, I worked out a while ago it’s all bullshit.

Other things make you happier, without costing money.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Get out and ride

tish
    Free Member

I’m normally ok, but I’ve just impulse bought an old stock mojo hd3 frame that ibis were clearing. I don’t worry about it, I can afford it plus I will get some money back when I sell my current mojo. Many people spend more money on fags and booze than I do on bike stuff and I get a lot more benefit.

nickhit3
    Free Member

We’ve all been here. I also happen to ride a bike that I first got in 2006. It is my only bike. It’s a nice problem to have if there are ppl worrying about “buying something that will be an evolutionary dead end” although I understand that POV. Its BS though. Its riding a bike in the dirt. It’s still fun and I still wring every ounce out of the 11 year old bike I have.

Riding frequency is the point for me. I know I couldn’t justify that Tues AL I want today, but I would say if you have no mortgage, Kids or serious financial commitments (as I and many others do).. f*cking go for it, put it all on red, pick up that phone now and get spendy. You cant take it with you after all lol

Kamakazie

I was very close to ordering a Ti 29er frame due to it being a bit of a bargain and just what I was looking for but as above, think I’ll get better value from just keeping my current bike up to date for a few more years until the ‘standards’ change too much.

It’s also true that the less I ride, the more I want to buy which I guess just shows how successful marketing is at making us want things more than want to use things.

prawny

Trying not to buy a new bike is like holding your breath. Easy enough for a short while, but you can’t do it forever.

core

I haven’t bought a complete new bike for 5 years, since then just bought frames, components, swapped bits, several have come and gone, tried lots of things. There’s always something niggly wrong though. Currently on my otherwise perfect (to me) soul the brakes are shit, deores, always leaking and contaminating pads.

I’ve also got a zesty, but have gone off little 26″ wheels after riding 29″ & 650b most for 18 months.

I really want a newer, lighter, 650b full sus, and a cx bike. Can afford either, both, but trying to save more too. No kids, or mortgage, or debt.

I tend to not ride much when I think I’ll always be on the ‘wrong’ bike. Would be better off with just one bike in that respect, but I know it wouldn’t be long.

milky1980
    Free Member

…fear of buying something that will be an evolutionary dead end.

Same here, see a few bikes I like the look of but I keep looking at the constant changing standards and hold off until things settle down a bit. I know you’ll never struggle for parts for a good few years yet as the only example I can think of that would stop an upgrade is if you have a 1 1/8th steerer and need new forks. I don’t struggle getting stuff for my 6 year old Orange 5 seeing as I’ve continued to upgrade that instead of buying new. New shock, brakes and dropper in the last few weeks.

Although seeing as they’re starting doing demos of Bird bikes at Cwmcarn and I’ve been drooling over the Stanton full suss frames on facebook it’s only a matter of time. I’m determined to not buy a new bike this year as I’m averaging 1 a year for the last 8 years 😳

vongassit
    Free Member

I got fed up with looking & constant inner arguments of should I shouldn’t I. So I bought a frame , big mistake! I then had the same arguments with myself over each & every component. Now I have this

Couple of bits to iron out , bars & steerer length but I’m quite chuffed with it.

Now the voices are calm , for now 😀

funkmasterp

I keep staring longingly at Gravel / Adventure type bike. NS Rag+, Orange RX9, Pinnacle Arkose that sort of thing. Lucky for me I have no money or I’d be buying one. Keep getting tempted to sell the current bike, but really like it.

wukfit
    Free Member

It was the Five deal that’s now on a psa that I was fighting!
    Luckily 3 day ago my gf said she would like a Pendleton, so I bought her a second hand pashley instead (in burgundy)
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pashley-princess-sovereign-8-speed-womens-hybrid-bike-EV273855?esvt=52836-GOUKE2054806&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1146680-1&esvcrea=166226882386&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=pla-494933498152&esvo=EV273855-22-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=CMeLmrqI-tQCFeYp0wodB2IA7w
    She doesn’t know yet, hopefully she’ll like the colour otherwise I’ll have to sell it again and buy her a Pendleton (even second hand the pashley cost more, but it is better specced)
    So that’s my bike itch scratched……..maybe

mikey3
    Free Member

You have 3 bikes and you have cycles 30 miles this year,buying a new bike would be ridiculous,mind you you haven’t bought a new bike in bike forever so go for it:),just sell one and ride more if you can,they are made to ride:)

Bregante

My eldest needs a bike to commute on and I happen to have the perfect bike for him. This has created an unexpected opportunity for n+1 (or rather “n”)…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty good in recent years and hadn’t bought a new bike since 2010, however in the last week or two I’ve added 2 TT bikes and a road bike. I blame the roadie club I’m on now.

fifeandy
    Free Member

2 TT bikes¿!

scandal42
    Free Member

My 1st ever new full bike arrived yesterday.

Lovely stuff

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My newest new bike is on the road, should be here on Friday 🙂 Might actually have to sell some of the 26 collection

jruk
    Free Member

I keep thinking about buying another bike but then I ride my Aeris and realise there’s no type of riding I want to do that it isn’t brilliant at so I stop looking. Ok, it wouldn’t be great at 100 miles on the road but neither would I (find it boring). And I’m never going to ride full on DH so we’re good. Logic wins.

The only bike I’d buy instantly (£ permitting) is a Ti Honzo. Bloody gorgeous, looks a proper laugh and it’s Ti. Sod logic. Just a pity the frame is £1800.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Fighting the urge to buy a new bike’ is closed to new replies.