Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Fife hills loop. Anyone fancy an STW mellow group ride?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Murr and I were wondering if anyone would be up for a spin around the hills in central Fife.

A loop from Lochore Meadows over Benarty Hill, up over the Bishop Hill, down the Glenvale descent and a spin back around the Loch Leven and Portmoak forest trails. Its near enough all natural trail riding. 40 minutes from Edinburgh.

Mackem

When?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a bit late!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When?

Perhaps this coming weekend. We could even try something from one of the cafes on the shores of Loch Leven if folks are pushed for time.

Its a bit late!

Josh, the pics are just to let folks know what’s up here. The trails are in near perfect condition.

Si
    Free Member

Where’s the last one taken? Is it dropping off Benarty to Vane Farm?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Where’s the last one taken? Is it dropping off Benarty to Vane Farm?

No, its the descent down Glen Vale between the Bishop Hill and the West Lomond. A couple of miles of amazing singletrack. That’s the trail at about its widest.

TheFlyingOx

Would love to do this. I’m over in Strathkinness and need to venture further afield than my current Blebo Woods loop.

Kunstler

I might be up for this. Cairngorm plans have gone a bit askew for the weekend and I was eyeing up Benarty and a ride around Loch Leven for a future date when I rode out to St Andrews last month. I’d probably be riding out from Edinburgh if times worked out.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Working in Dundee at the moment, would be up for an evening jaunt if anyone else is.
    Singlespeedable? Geared bike is at home.

althepal

Keep me posted. Might manage along..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty much down for this will i be left for dead on a rigid singlespeed?

Phil_H

That sounds good, keep me posted

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The last bit off Benarty has suffered from some windfallen trees so we may scratch that.

The pictures above were taken on our last couple of evening rides. We could string together a taster 3 hour ride that would be single speedable. It may involve a handful if road miles to get us up the more rideable climb to the golf ball. Once up the ridge ride is great.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If you fancy doing it on a mon/tues/wed evening after 7ish or so, I should be able to get along with a bit of notice to sort out alternative car-shares etc.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Paul, that should be fine. We will check the weather for next week and give you a shout.

rugbydick

Not sure if I could make any rides in the very near future, but would be keen to see any Strava/gpx files for rides around the Fife hills.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’m potentially on for this (other life commitments permitting). As a Milnathort resident I know these trails well and realise that I’m spoilt with the quality of local riding.

Let us know what day/time you decide, and I’ll see if I can make it.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Am free saturday am – providing fife is safe for civilians these days 😀 coming from Stirling.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We could do a double ascent of the Bishop some day, one to descend Glenvale, then we could nip back on the road/bike path to the Pillars of Hercules for coffee and cake then up over Maspie Den around the reservoirs back up the farm track to the golf ball for the descent back down to Scotlandwell. That might add a couple more hours. Each half of that is easily doable as an evening ride.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pillars of hercules… now you’re talking!

geoffj

Might be up for something if the pace is going to be relaxed.

Northwind

I’d love to but can’t do this weekend. I’m terrible for getting out and riding new places…

martymac

id love to come, im fat and slow.

honeybadgerx

Not sure I can manage this weekend, possibly have a 30 min meeting on North Uist on Saturday…. Definitely up for it in the future though!

swiss01
    Free Member

sunday’s a possibility but only if i don’t have a debilitating hangover. any other time on the next week for definite

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Probably won’t manage as rides need to be pretty brief at the moment due to jnr! Is there a descent off Benarty to Vane Farm as indicated above?

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah I’d be up for this if the pace is relaxed. Currently have a suspected torn medial collateral ligament so knee not the strongest. Waiting for an MRI scan, managed 20 odd miles a couple of weeks ago but it was on road. I will keep my eye on this thread.

coastkid
    Free Member

Like too but around Duns this weekend for the Jim Clark Memorial Rally,
    Maybe another time Peter 🙂

Si
    Free Member

Yep interested. What about inc Blairadam at tother end or dropping off east Lomond through some of the interesting falkland trails!?

Should also add then I’m looking at Dunkeld this Sat and possibly Kinnoul (Perth) or Pitmedden on Thurs evening if anyone wants to be shown around?

andypandy85
    Free Member

I can’t make this weekend as I’ll be at the BDS, however, I’d be very interested in a map of the route of at all possible??

Cheers

jimmy

I’m keen and could do this Sunday probably subject to reorganising other plans.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Shall we have a try for this coming Sunday, June 1, 10am. We could meet at the Loch Leven Lodges car park, there’s loads of parking space there. http://www.lochlevenlodges.co.uk/coffee%20shop.html.

The best way out (to include the singlespeeders) is to ride the road out to just west of Leslie to pick up the singletrack road up to the reservoirs, turn up the farm road to the Golf Ball, then ride along the ridge to Glenvale, it’s an easy spin back from there for a mellow 3 hr ride for those short on time.

We could add the second Pillars, Maspie Den, Golf Ball Scotlandwell descent loop for another day when folks have more of an idea of what to expect.

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah I should be there. Sounds good.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its my very pregnant sisters birthday on Sunday I am not sure if this makes it more or less likely I will be free!

But if I am I will be there!

Kunstler

I’m working Sunday but will try to come along if you do another one.

ojom
    Free Member

I is up for this like Jimmy.

Mellow would be good after GT7 and my bank holiday fun at Comrie.

Downie.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can’t do Sunday, but I’ll kkeep an eye out for next time.

martymac

i am up for this, my buddy may come along too, depending on work.

geoffj

Can’t do this Sunday, but up for something one evening if folk fancy a midweek pootle.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Let’s keep an eye on the forecast for an evening ride next week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Fife hills loop. Anyone fancy an STW mellow group ride?’ is closed to new replies.