Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fibres arrived! Which provider?
  • 40mpg

BT Openreach have finally finished digging up half the village, and a new box has appeared up the road. Following a few enquiries, it appears on the face of it I can get fibre through any provider (except Virgin cos they use their own cables which aren’t here yet) – although I thought I saw somewhere that BT don’t share new installations to start with, to help pay the infrastructure cost??

Anyway, assuming I do have options, comparing providers shows Plusnet are offering a pretty good deal both on start costs (discounted for 6 months) and following that.

Any reason not to use them? Is their unlimited truly unlimited? Are speeds reasonably stable? Are their helplines prompt and efficient? Do they provide moons on sticks?

sandwicheater

Just changed from BT to Talk Talk.

No problems with service but the TV box/recorded is so fricking slow and crashes so often I can’t wait to leave them.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve gone with Zen for now. Marginally more expensive but the helpdesk seems pretty good and they do proper unlimited usage and a static IP address as standard (only available on a business tarrif from BT plus they charge for it).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to get Plusnet and their incompetence has been shocking. First they simply didn’t turn up and after phoning them, they told me they never even made the appointment they had emailed to confirm, and instead had just taken my money and done nothing in 3 weeks. Then a few days later they said the cabinet was full, no fibre available after all but I could have adsl if I wanted to wait another three weeks.

Zen gave good service previously, but are more expensive.

legend
    Free Member

captain, it’s not PlusNet that do the installation and cabinet work, unfortunately that’s BT just like the rest. I’ve used PlusNet for 15 years+, and they’ve always been great for me and I’m about to use them again in our new place

29erKeith
    Free Member

Fibres on the way the village here too, just up the road.

We were with sky (which is bt resold) and had 0.5mb which is dismal, as was their support. On the same bit of copper we’re now on 5mb with TalkTalk which is ok.

The problem was bt was massively oversubscribed and TalkTalk are the only ones in our exchange which are fully unbundled and don’t over subscribe all of their kit.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with the idea of sky fibre as we are with them anyway, its only £2.50 on top of what I pay for normal BB for the first year…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Legend, I’m not blaming them for the cabinet, I’m blaming them for offering a start date, then not bothering to do anything, and eventually (only after I chased them up twice) telling me the service I had already paid for was not available. That said, they are cheap and my parents have used them without problems.

ourmaninthenorth

No problems with service but the TV box/recorded is so fricking slow and crashes so often I can’t wait to leave them.

It’s a known problem. There’s a sizeable plan to resolve this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fibres arrived! Which provider?’ is closed to new replies.