Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fibre optic broadband suppliers. All the same?
  • jkomo

With talktalk now, upgrading to fibre optic, should I stay with them, or are BT or anyone else betterer?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I beleive all FO providers use the same infrastructure, except Virgin of course, as a cable supplier

So your choice is virgin vs. BT/talk talk

samuri
    Free Member

It’s down to local service at the end of the day, the infrastructure is irrelevant as it’s largely reliable.

Horror stories on both sides I’m sure. I had terrible trouble with Virgin when it was first installed but since we had a proper engineer out (after a lengthy complaints process), it’s been blinding (did you see what I did there?). The phone, TV and broadband have been faultless since they replaced the cable from the box to the house. BT will be no different.

Understanding the complaints process was what fixed it for me, and they don’t advertise how to get a quick response.

skids
    Free Member

Plusnet are good value £9.99 for 6 months then £19.99 up to 80mb down 20mb up, they don’t slow down your downloads at peak time either

CHB

Plusnet FTTC here. Not impressed. Going back to SKY after contract finishes.

JohnnyPanic

Ooh. Was thinking of changing to plus net FTTC. What’s the problem?

jkomo

Bt can offer 180meg but talktalk only 86. Considering I only get 1meg, will I notice?
    It seems less hassle and cheaper to stay with TT

CHB

Not sure if its the router, but the conection is nothing like as consistent as with Sky.

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

Just for balance, we have Plusnet FTTC, and its been connected for 30 days straight. Not using their router though, so can’t vouch for that. Don’t have any speed issued (we get about 31Mb at our house)

Dales_rider
    Free Member

BT is good if its on fibre, one thing is that all, including Virgin connect into the “WEB” via Bt and its the size of that pipe and whose on it which can be the decider as to speed.

footflaps

Virgin don’t connect via BT, they have their own piering points with other ISPs.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Virgin don’t connect via BT, they have their own piering points with other ISPs.

Oh how little you know I only worked as Network Area Manager for 8 years, oh and by the way they supply bandwidth to +Net.

JohnnyPanic

mrmuddybum, what speed did they say you would get?

rewski
    Free Member

BT Infinity as been nothing short of brilliant for me, good wifi over three storey house, got BT’s Youview box too which is pretty good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fibre optic broadband suppliers. All the same?’ is closed to new replies.