Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fibre Flares? Any good?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I commute mostly in the dark at this time of the year. 5 miles of my journey is unlit twisty country lanes.I’m picking up 2 red rear Fibre Flares from halfords today. Just wondering if anyone else uses them. ?

I want my bike to be as bright as possible.

tomhoward

never had a problem with mine

Gary_M
    Free Member

First two I had failed due to water getting into the switch. Both were replaced under warranty by wiggle. Latest one has lasted well but it’s mounted on the rear of my helmet so doesn’t get road spray.

jacob46
    Free Member

I want mine for rear seat stays. I’ve also herd of others getting wet and stop working. I mite just get 2 from halfords and they can easily be sent back if I have problems.

timnoyce
    Free Member

I’ll agree that they are good and bright, battery lasts ages… but as above, mine died after a long wet ride due to water getting in.

tomhoward

That’s where I put mine, tbh I haven’t done a massive amount of wet weather rides, but they still work so….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2 x big LED lights (I use Moon Shields). One flashing, on constant. Respro ankle bands.

zippykona

I have proper mudguards and mine has lasted years.

tonyd

Tried one a few years ago for my long, dark, wet commute. It lasted about a week before water ingress killed it. Unless they’ve drastically improved in the last few years I wouldn’t bother.

Edit: With mudguards!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve seen them on other people’s bikes both when riding and in the car and I don’t think they add to visibility as much as I expected them to.

2 x big LED lights (I use Moon Shields). One flashing, on constant. Respro ankle bands.

This is my approach. A couple of decent LED lights – they don’t need to burn out the retinas, but the combination of one static and one flashing attracts attention without messing with speed/distance perception.

The movement of reflective ankle bands helps identify as a cyclist and works side on as well.

Tyres with reflective sidewalls are worth seeking out (though you do actually need to clean them occasionally). Low/no marginal cost, always on, mark as a bike, side visibility.

Frankly though, on unlit lanes the danger is someone simply driving like a twunt relying on headlights coming towards them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Frankly though, on unlit lanes the danger is someone simply driving like a twunt relying on headlights coming towards them.

Sadly, yes. Ride positively, but listen and look ahead. Don’t rely on your lights, or on anyone else!

stevious

Mine died due to road spray as I had it mounted on the seatpost.

The best use I’ve seen of them is using the small ones as a helmet light.

matts
    Free Member

I have 2. They have been used on the seatstays, seatpost, helmet, bag. Through at least 6-7 years of winter commuting and they still work. Oddly, both of them stopped working for a while and I thought they were dead, but they have come back to life.

Clobber
    Free Member

I have 2, both work well in all conditions

tenfoot

I have one on the seat stay. It’s been used in all weathers and seems fine.

imn

I’ve used one for a few years without issue, but it has been largely protected from spray by mudguards; would be wary of mounting on seatstays. It’s not the brightest, but I think the unusual shape helps you stand out, and the wide angle visibility is good if mounted in the right place. I keep mine mounted on my bag now, so nice and high and complementing a different light on seatpost/saddle.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I want mine for rear seat stays

That’s where I had mine. I have mudguards but can’t see how that would protect a light on the seatstays, probably direct water at it more than away from it.

ds3000
    Free Member

Had mine for 6 months, lots of wet rides – no problems, batteries last ages, very visible – would recommend.

tenfoot

I keep mine mounted on my bag now, so nice and high and complementing a different light on seatpost/saddle.

I did that with my first one, until one day I got home and it wasn’t there. How do you attach it?

imn

How do you attach it?

I use an Osprey Raptor 14, and find one end of the Flare clips through the bag’s light loop, and the other works nicely with the bungee for the helmet clip.

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 a white one for the front, its useless as a beam for me to see anything but really visible to others and the battery has lasted for ages, on the rear chainstay I’ve got a red one and its lasted about 3 years so far, first time I had to change the batteries was today at work.

Tend to use them in static mode and use smaller lights as flashy here I am type.

Waderider
    Free Member

When I worked in the trade they were forever getting brought back failed. However, mine did last a few years, but I rarely used it as I knew they had issues. Just stopped working in the end.

My opinion is why would you run light that seems more fragile than the average and that can stop working in the wet, when you live in the rainy UK?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have one I stick on my pack to supplement a rear light on the bike. No problems in the couple of months I’ve had it and it gives a handy extra bit of visibility

djflexure

I like the rechargeable usb’s better. You can get smaller units for the stays.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fibre Flares? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.