Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fibre Flare lights – any good?
  • Pukeko
    Free Member

Does anyone use fibre flare rear light? Tempted as additional rear light on rear stay for commute and on back pack for MTB… but i’ve never seen one in the flesh. Any good or waste of time?? Cheers 🙂

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Good, bright, stand up to the elements. Heavy on batteries so use good quality ones.

stevie750

Mine seem to be turning themselves off just now in the cold weather. Though it might be the bateries, going to change them and see if that makes a difference.

Bazz

Good visibility, brilliant idea but very poor execution, i’m afraid i couldn’t agree less with ctznsmith, the sealing on the battery compartments is next to non existent, i had one rust up on me after a ride in heavy fog, and proper rain actually fill the battery compartment up with water. If the battery compartment was well sealed then they’d be brilliant, as it is they are no good for the U.K. imo.

bails

I’m on my second. First one failed for no obvious reason, replaced by CRC and it’s still going strong despite being on my backpack for at least 18 months of all weather commuting.

DezB
    Free Member

No one believes me, but this bloody works:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-5-Led-rear-light-laser-beams-The-ultimate-safety-light-batteries-/121033186788

I don’t get any cars brushing my elbow anymore! They don’t seem to want to go inside the red lazer line (which, of course is the idea of it).
    Not the highest quality item, but I bet its a damn sight cheaper than the flare thing!

bails

How well do those lines show up under a car headlight/foglight/streetlights?

DezB
    Free Member

Well enough – a lot of my commute is on unlit roads, but I’d swear I get far less close overtakes than without it. Particularly noticeable though central bollards – a SMART car actually waited until I’d gone through them yesterday!!

Pukeko
    Free Member

DezB, interesting. Could be worth a punt for a tenner 8)

DezB
    Free Member

S’what I thought. Money back if not satisfied anyway…

footflaps

How well do those lines show up under a car headlight/foglight/streetlights?

Barely visible – seen them and they are pretty pathetic. A SMART 0.5W Led light is way more visible.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Bazz interesting, it is just that bit of rubber over the end which seals it so I wonder if it’s because I run mine on a bag sideways rather than up and down vertical. Have taken them out in torrential rain (of which we’ve had a lot this year) with no problems at all.

Bazz

Possible yes as mine are mounted vertically on the seatstays, which for me is the best place for them in terms of visibility, shame they don’t hold up to the weather though!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A SMART 0.5W Led light is way more visible

not from the side though…

crazy-legs

I mount my Fibre Flare on my rucksack so it’s reasonably high up and also bent over at 45 degrees so it’s more visible to lorry/bus drivers. Every little helps. I use it in conjunction with three other rear lights though!

Decent enough but it has a habit of being bright, bright, bright then nothing as the batteries go. Heavy on batteries and you might need some additional sealing around the rubber battery covers. Clingfilm works well.

johnnystorm

I’ve got the laser back light as well from Torchy. For a tenner its a decent enough normal LED light, extra laserness is a bonus. I suppose I’d have to get my other half to follow me about to get a car drivers view. I quite like the Tron-effect if nothing else. 😆

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

I’ve got a fibre flare and agree with most that the sealing is poor.it won’t even work flashing due to water ingress.seems fine on constant.its expensive for what it is and does.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fibre Flare lights – any good?’ is closed to new replies.