Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fiat Stilo 1.9 jtd, any issues?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fancy a big estate car for big distances and lugging bikes arround.

Is there a reason they all seem to be £3k with 40k miles on the clock (looking at 5 yrs old ish), or are they just suffering from Fiat’s (unjustified IME) reputation.

Parents had a tipo and a tempra which both past 100,000 with no major issues (tempra even had the same engine) apart from radiators failing under warrenty when nearly new for some unknown reason.

Is there a reason for the cheepness when the equivalent VAG cars are still in 5 figure prices?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think it’s the same engine as my Astra (now sold) 1.9CDTI – it’s a good unit BUT it can suffer from very dire “swirl flap” failure – mine did and it trashed the engine. Luckily it was under warranty. I think you can get them removed/blanked off. Other than that it’s a decent engine. Not sure about the rest of the car- never driven one!

project
    Free Member

Ive got a Fiat diesel engine in the van, Fiat are so cheap, and good value to buy thats why i bought one, the stilo is a bit of an old mans car so dont/didnt sell well, but theyre good cars.

I want a panda 4×4 next.

yunki
    Free Member

just my twopenceworth..

I thought exactly the same way as you a couple of years back about £1800 40k mileage Puntos..
    Soooo against all advice from family friends and local mechanics I went ahead and bought a very clean straight one with 44k on the clock.. and it was a little gem.. for the first month..

Since then I have suffered two blown head gaskets.. borked exhaust.. and clutch.. brakes shagged.. battery kaput.. wiper motor and connector rods replaced.. heater matrix.. wheel bearings.. door hinges.. radiator.. oil leak..

I’m a bit tough on cars mind… I wait for the oil light occasionally rather than check the oil etc..

But I would recommend getting every little squeak and rattle checked super pronto.. except for the gazillion squeaks and rattles (and unidentifiable ominous clunks) that come as standard.. you won’t hear tooo many of them though becuase the tyre rumble will drown out all sounds… and thoughts

locomotive

I wait for the oil light occasionally rather than check the oil etc..

No disrespect Yunki but thats a bit like waiting for severe tooth decay to set in before deciding to brush your teeth.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wait for the oil light occasionally rather than check the oil etc

Lol!

Mate, the oil light is not like the fuel light. It’s an oil PRESSURE light, meaning that it only comes on when the oil pump is sucking the very last crappy dregs out of the sump and there’s nothing left.

The oil level will be dangerously low well before that. As in, not lubricating things properly. Plus, oil will only do its job for a certain amount of time, so even if the oil level is perfectly fine the oil could be in need of a change.

That’s why they specify time and mileage intervals.

Brilliant way to utterly trash an engine! Might as well burn money.

yunki
    Free Member

Brilliant way to utterly trash an engine! Might as well burn money.

well you live and learn!!! And there was me thinking for all these years that I was just one of those folk that doesn’t have much luck with cars..

still… let’s look on the bright side.. at least this way… the car will die sooner rather than later.. (it’s on it’s last skim) then we won’t be able to afford a new one.. my precious missus can start taking public transport like all the other teen mums.. and most importantly my hippy yearnings can be satisfied slightly furthur by being a carless family..

wins all round

No disrespect Yunki but thats a bit like waiting for severe tooth decay to set in before deciding to brush your teeth.

It’s funny you should say that…………. anyway that’s another thread entirely..

seeing as you’re dishing out the good automotive advice…. should I get the incessant grinding squealing sound that comes from the passenger side front wheel checked out..?
    It’s been making it for the last 15 000 miles or so…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

grinding squealing sound that comes from the passenger side front wheel

Brake pipe failiure from the rubber lining swelling over time and restricting the flow leading to the pads not retracting properly and gridinding into the disk (or at least thats what it is on most cars that age when 1 side goes noth both)

Hairychested
    Free Member

My dad drove Fiats for years, easy to maintain.
    My brother drives a 1999 Punto, all his mates do as well, and never suffers any mechanicals.
    I’d love a Stilo, esp. 3-door hatch with the engine you mention.

Harry_the_Spider

I had a ’99 Bravo. The list of stuff that went wrong with it was spectacular! The day that I wrote it off was one of the happiest of my life.

Handbrake came off its mounts.
    Crank shaft sensor failed.
    Rear wiper motor failed (twice).
    Engine management system failed.
    Complete dashboard instrument failure.
    Heated seats failed.
    Alarm failed.
    Door lock failed.
    CD player failed.
    Seat tilting mechanism failed.
    Electric mirror failed.
    Exhaust mounting bracket failed – Dropping the exhaust, causing it to fail.
    Sun roof seals failed.
    Hose fitting on tailgate washer failed.

Utter, utter bag of shite.

traildog
    Free Member

You shouldn’t really need to be constantly topping the car up with oil though. Never put a drop in my car in 10 years+ of ownership other than on it’s regular services. Although yes, it’s petrol, but I cannot believe VAG users happily tell me how great their engines are yet put engine oil in nearly as regularly as Diesel.

Fiats are apparently a lot better now, but I’d be vary weary of them. I know a few people who have spent a fortune keeping theirs going.

tonyg2003

My dog walking mate has got one JTD estate – all the toys – big sunroof etc… and the JTD engine is meant to be highly reliable according to his mechanics/forums. Occasional electric issues should be the main issue, but overall his has been very reliable in the 4yrs he’s had it.

molgrips
    Free Member

You shouldn’t really need to be constantly topping the car up with oil though

No, but most cars consume some, along the lines of half a litre or so every 5-10,000 miles. Some more, some less. Certain engines are known for drinking the stuff.

The Passat consumes a bit more than the Prius, but it’s not a big deal. Just check it – don’t be a dipstick.

See what I did there? 🙂

ivantate
    Free Member

Go on fiatforum.com if you get it.

The Stilo has a bad reputation and most cars have the odd problem but if its a good one then will give some very good cheap service.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Don’t do it.

richmtb

Fix It Again Tomorrow!

Steer clear, newer Fiat’s are much better and diesels tend to be more reliable than petrol but why take the risk on a make that it renowned for unreliablity

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Mate of mine had one and had no end of issues, in the end just chopped it in for something older and not Fiat based to get peace of mind.

Could be an extreme example, but in my limited knowledge of cars Fiat are Pony!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fiat Stilo 1.9 jtd, any issues?’ is closed to new replies.