Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Fiat Qubo/ Citroen Nemo (as bike car) anyone?
  • bajsyckel

Ms bajsykel and I are looking for a car. We need one do-it-all vehicle, don’t do a huge amount of miles, mostly on twisty minor roads with trips on the A9 about the biggest/ fastest road it will see. Looking for something reliable (not the first thing Fiat or Citroen are known for) cheap to run, practical space for carrying bikes (and other gear) and occasionally need seats for passengers/ lift sharing (so no vans). And ideally it’d also be decent in the winter, possible to doss in the back, moon a stick etc.

We’ve been looking out for berlingos or similar (kangoos, partners, doblos…), as well as “proper” estates, but examples at our budget don’t seem to be great examples (i.e. a bit over priced, higher mileage, not great history, older than we’d like). There are however quite a few Fiat Qubos and Citroen Nemos around, low mileage, and not particularly old examples that might be worth a look.

So has anyone got one or have any experience of them? Any good (generally – or as a bike shifting vehicle)? And any advice for “issues” to look out for when buying?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

had one as a loan car for a couple of weeks.

absolutely hated it, possibly the most useless vehicle ever. (and it was a replacement for a clapped out scudo van)

avoid if possible….

bajsyckel

OK, useless in what way?

camo16
    Free Member

had one as a loan car for a couple of weeks.

absolutely hated it, possibly the most useless vehicle ever.

Hmm… well we’ve had one for three months – Nemo, not Qubo – and it’s pretty sweet. 11 plate, no issues. Bikes fit in the back, minus front wheels. Plenty of space for the money, what’s not to like?

Oh, there is one thing not to like. The tailgate is massive and swings out pretty severely, so you can’t park close in front of other cars and hope to open the boot. But that’s it.

I owned a Berlingo many years ago. The Nemo IMO is better.

bajsyckel

Camo 16 – do you mean bikes in back (with front wheel off) with seats in/ down/ out?

camo16
    Free Member

We’ve had two bikes in the back with the rear seat folded down. It’s possible, I reckon, to partially drop the 60/40 split back seat and get bikes plus kid inside, although we haven’t done that yet. Also looking at rear bike rack, which shouldn’t be a problem.

The Nemo is a good utility car… plus it has a driver’s armrest for when you fancy the ‘à la pimp’ mode.

bajsyckel

camo 16 – ta. Must admit that the à la pimp mode is really what attracted me to them in the first place.

camo16
    Free Member

Then you won’t be disappointed, you wannabe pimp you!

I’m so à la pimp in our Nemo I’m even growing a 70s-style sweeping moustache. Suede and long collars are now de rigeur!

Suggest you do likewise for maximum Nemo fun. 😀

pjm84
    Free Member

Wanted to buy one but the local dealer was poor – Free….. The car seemed to tick all the boxes and was an offset allowance against the Wife’s car. My mates were promising to disown me.

Just gave up in the end. I was unable to drive one and refused to buy without a test drive. I came to the conclusion that if the dealer service was so poor when I’m trying to buy a car what’s would it be like when it had an problem. So I replaced my Volvo with an eco Volvo V70.

andermt
    Free Member

Just make sure it is fitted with stability control.

camo16
    Free Member

My mates were promising to disown me.

😯

These would be friends driving Fords, Vauxhalls and the like?

amplebrew

Is there much of a price difference between a Nemo and a Berlingo?

We briefly looked when choosing my wife’s last car and I’m sure they were around the same price on the used market.

luffy105
    Free Member

I’ve had a few berlingo’s and liked the look of the Nemo for a change but when I test drove it on East Yorkshire’s finest bumpy roads I found myself getting thrown around a lot more than on the same roads in the Berlingo. When I spoke to the garage about it they pointed out that the back wheels are positioned a lot further back on the car body and that this has the effect of kicking the back end up a lot more over bumps. If that is true or not I have no idea because I know even less about cars than I do bikes although the ride was definitely worse and it seemed plausible.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I own a Qubo. I bought it last year for the express reason that I wanted to carry my bikes in it. Like any small car based on a van it has its flaws but I love it. When transporting one bike all I need to do is remove the bikes front wheel and one of the rear seats (they come out very easily) and I am left with plenty of space for my bike and luggage and still have some seating in the rear. I’ve yet to take out both of the rear seats as I don’t normally need that much space.

Used the Nemo/ Qubo/ Bipper is generally a bit cheaper than a Berlingo but then it is a bit more basic and shorter. A Berlingo with the seats out should take a complete bike no bother.

I’ve travelled all of the UK with my Qubo and think it is a great little car with a very comfy driving position. Just make sure you go for the diesel option. Mine is a 1.4 petrol and the fuel economy is OK but not great.

pjm84
    Free Member

These would be friends driving Fords, Vauxhalls and the like?

One owns an Santa Cruz Tallboy with an XTR chainset…… need I say anymore?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

bajsyckel – Member

OK, useless in what way?

for the size of vehicle it is you still need to strip out both wheels and move the seas to get 2 bikes in.
    terrible fuel economy for diesel.
    noisy.
    uncomfortable.
    huge tailgate (as above)
    too big for a decent car, too small for a useful van.
    VERY compromised….

bajsyckel

amplebrew- berlingos seem to be a bit more expensive and scarcer than I’d thought they would be. But they are definitely bigger.

luffy105- that’s sort of my concern, twisty B and unclassified roads that are rougher than your average trail centre would make up most of our driving. I guess unless anyone puts us off entirely then we’ll be test driving so can see for ourselves.

camo16
    Free Member

The suspension is a little on the firm side, but that’s it. We’ve been on plenty of rough terrain in ours and loads of Welsh B roads and it’s no worse than most utility-orientated cars. It’s no E-Type, but you knew that already, right?

IMO, it’s not VERY compromised. Au contraire, it’s VERY useful.

Test it out.

bajsyckel

BigDave – that’s a handy pic/ review, thanks.

Millh0use- OK, cheers for clarifying. The figures for mpg aren’t bad, but maybe real world is vastly different. I’m in two minds about how much value/ how much of a compromise the space is versus something smaller (a couple of bikes with wheels off in any hatchback is no problem) or bigger (a couple of bikes plus gear and seats to spare in a Berlingo/ Doblo).

bajsyckel

It’s no E-Type, but you knew that already, right?

😆 I also deleted the bit in the OP where I wrote that we needed something that handled like a prodrive impreza when “making progress”.

Seems definitely to split opinion- worth a test drive at least though.

camo16
    Free Member

Definitely worth a test drive alright.

Worth stating for background purposes that my previous car was a Panda… so the Nemo’s a massive step up in size for me, but probably not for all. Bikes and equipment all fit in no worries.

My old Berlingo was way too much van for my liking.

bajsyckel

Just in case anyone happens to be looking to convert one to a camper – found this blog (Italian) on a (very) basic home conversion.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I believe the Qubo shares a lot of the chassis with the Grande Punto and the levels of grip are pretty good although the tall heavy body does induce a fair bit of roll.

Ultimately it is a van with seats and that is reflected in the way it drives.

If you want to get a warts and all picture of the car the Fiat Owners Forum is a good place to look for both the Qubo and the Doblo.

prawny

I quite fancy one of these too as a little van/occasional child carrier. Looking at the van dimensions online and using mty wicked math(s)skillz I calculate you should be able to get a normal sized bike in the back diagonally, stood up, both wheels on. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

If you tumble both of the seats forward, or better still take them out, you can. I was sure I had a picture of my Cross Check in a similar pose but can’t find it.

camo16
    Free Member

I calculate you should be able to get a normal sized bike in the back diagonally, stood up, both wheels on.

With the back seats out? Possibly.

EDIT: there you go, Big Dave has the answer.

I’d try it myself, but I’m pretty sure two wouldn’t go that way.

prawny

Cheers Big Dave, a Nemo/Qubo/bipper has just made it back on the list then. £30 VED is a major boon for me.

If anyone else has a picture of a bike in the back (wheels on please) please post on here, so I can show SWMBO who I’m sure will be very impressed 😕

Big-Dave
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j0WsJj5LKs[/video]

Even better moving pictures!

This is actually a video that convinced me the Qubo was the right car to go for.

micky
    Free Member

Just bought a 2010 plate NEMO last Saturday and Im very impressed. I wanted a van but the missus would not be comfortable driving one without the windows all round so it’s a great comprimise. It’s a step up in size from my old Golf and she can drive it perfectly. Lots of space and very versitile. It is in no way noisey and as quiet as my golf. It has no rattle/echo like a van. It has sliding side doors and a huge tailgate so access is great. The fuel economy looks good so far. The Nemo van engine is designed to have low running cost. I would say 55mpg although I think the manual quotes much more if im not mistaken. They have £30.00 per year tax. Mine is the one without the electronic stabilty and it handles fine for this type of vehicle. If you want to go around corners like a F1 car then you would not be looking at this type of vehicle anyway. I have only had mine for a week but I love it and it’s growing on me all the time. I forgot to say it is slow compared to some vans but again if your looking for this type of vehicle you wont want a race car. It plods along and you have to use the box a lot to keep it moving with the 1.4HDI diesel

luffy105
    Free Member

Definitely go for a test drive. They’re great little cars and look pretty cool.

Not sure what your budget is but you can get some deals on Berlingo’s too though. I recently bought a 59 plate Brelingo with 20k on the clock and it is fully loaded. 110bhp model, parking sensors, glass roof,aircon, independent rear ventilation, cruise control and the amazing drop down ceiling box thingy where i can hide all small bike eqpt purchases from my wife. I agree with previous comments about it being van like but is great for carrying bikes, tents, kids etc and also takes a 16ft canoe on the roof with no bother. Plus we always self drive on holidays abroad so the space is always much appreciated for the wine shop on the way back 🙂

All that was a touch over £6k and costs me just over £200pm for 3 years through citroen finance.

camo16
    Free Member

* Nemo high-fives micky *

I love it and it’s growing on me all the time.

Same here. Slightly concerned at first that I was essentially driving a van, but the styling helps to give it funkiness and the space is great. Plus, as per ^^^^^ you get to FEEL LIKE A PIMP.

bajsyckel

Handy vid that Big Dave – I liked this one which came up as a suggestion though. Anyone wondering which small mpv for taking on ski pistes should take note…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dps2fFgpSl0[/video]

prawny

@Big Dave

Cheers! Blimey, it’s not even diagonal. I accept it’s probably a bit small for a dh bike but that’s really surprised me.
    I didn’t realise that citroen stopped selling them last year, I know they’re all the same but out of Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat, I’ve got a lot more time for Citroen. Shame.

Still won’t let it put me off.

camo16
    Free Member

I didn’t realise that citroen stopped selling them last year, I know they’re all the same but out of Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat, I’ve got a lot more time for Citroen.

I think they’re all made in the same (FIAT, Turkey) factory, so it’s only the badge that’s different.

tinsy
    Free Member

Pah a bicycle in a car, your not even trying.

The mighty Multipla.

prawny

I didn’t realise that citroen stopped selling them last year, I know they’re all the same but out of Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat, I’ve got a lot more time for Citroen.

I think they’re all made in the same (FIAT, Turkey) factory, so it’s only the badge that’s different.

I know, but I’m a sucker for citroens, don’t know why.

@ tinsy, I did wonder about a multipla. Food for thought…

camo16
    Free Member

I did wonder about a multipla.

Me too.

I thought about it. I liked the thought. Then I saw the insurance group. 😯

I live in a Liverpool postcode that’s the northern equivalent of Beirut. Insurance groups matter muchos. So, sadly, the multipla was out. Which was a shame, because the idea of me, Mrscamo16 and my boy all occupying the front seats, with bikes etc in the back sounded great.

tinsy
    Free Member

Dont worry about all the Fiat issues of old, I am on my 3rd Fiat, & not one electrical gremlin yet, (airbag light on Multipla but it is 140k up & abused)

Only issues I have are suspension stuff but all on 100k plus milage cars, things like wishbones, radius arms & subframe bushes. My clutch has been iffy for the last 40k but struggle along, the car was very much at the bottom price bracket when I bought it.

Good luck 2nd hand car buying always takes a little of it.

Tins

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Fiat Qubo/ Citroen Nemo (as bike car) anyone?’ is closed to new replies.