Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Fiat Panda 1.4
  • hora
    Free Member

I had a 1.2 Panda on holiday in ibiza. It was a fantastic holiday romance but should memories stay memories?

1.4 Pandas (07) are now circa 3.5k and tick the cheeky, nimble box however- on a 200mile ocassional drive? Bike duties?

Thoughts?

wingnuts

I’ve had them on holiday “relationships” as well. Used to take bikes around the alps and was a surprising success. I’am similarly tempted as a second car with primary duty being to take the bikes to the trails. Not sure about the 200 mile trip though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats the occasional 200 mile trip and how occasional?

If it’s only once every few months then hire something big for the trip and live/love the small car?

hora
    Free Member

I drove a Aygo from Manchester to Germany and back..

200miles each way once every 6 weeks. 60miles at weekends to trails but I prefer nimblessnsss far over normal Focus hatchness.

darkcove

Had one a few years ago. Did Leeds-Devon in it no problem. You can get a bike in the back with the seats folded down, though if your planning on taking luggage then a rack would be a better bet. Used to average 40-45mpg. Great cars!

pondo

Mrs Pondo has an 08 multijet, takes us, the tent and a fortnight’s camping kit to France every summer, including two bikes on a rack. It’s a squeeze but does the job no probs, it’s amazing how much you can squidge in! 🙂

Hobster
    Free Member

Have a 100hp and its seats down and both wheels off for bike duties.

Definitely ticks the cheeky and nimble box and surprisingly good on longer journeys if the roads are smoothish.

crankboy
    Free Member

Ours does regular 200 motorway miles Leeds to London. Annual trips to Scotland of 300+ miles. Weekend camping with big tent and child. Easilly takes two bikes and kit with the back seat down or one accross the back seat. Brings home two pallets at a time for the woodburner.

Costs 30 to tax and does 45 to 50 MPG. Not sure of the engine size.

Gary_C

hora – Member

Fantastic engine- needs a rigid, proper oil/filter/guaze change though. I testdrove one and liked it.

Citroen petrols- aren’t bad. I’ve done 6k since December in mine. The only reason that I will be changing mine is when I find a decent Subaru.

Posted 1 week ago #

🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you looked at Renault Modus’s?

Loads of space in those things and cheap now too.

hora
    Free Member

Gary C looking at insurance now in my area/cost and I simply can’t find a decent one within 50miles. I’ve been looking for months.

A Modus? 😆

No have another one 😆

:mrgreen:

weeksy

Main thing with our one was road noise… DAMN it was a noisy sod… constant road noise… didn’t matter what rubber it had fitted, it was just noisy…
    Decent enough car though.

hora
    Free Member

Weeksy even if you went up a profile tyrewise?

pondo

Main thing with our one was road noise… DAMN it was a noisy sod… constant road noise… didn’t matter what rubber it had fitted, it was just noisy…

With a Panda? That does surprise me, they have massive profile clown tyres on. 🙂 Never noticed it in ours – but I bet it’s all I can hear in it from now on… 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

A Modus?

No have another one

Nuff

rhid

I have a panda as my only car and it does a great job. Bikes will go in the back with wheels off and seats down, however I have roof bars and a rack for extra ease. You can fit a lot of stuff in the back of one, its relatively economical and, while you are never going to set any land speed records in one, its a perfectly ok car to drive about!

If I was going to swap it I would get something like a 207 SW small estate so there would be a little bit more space in the back.

pondo

You can fit a lot of stuff in the back of one…

Sorry to reiterate the point, but yeah, that upright boxy shape means there’s tons of space back there. There’s also an option for the rear seats to slide forward when folded flat, which gives you even more space. And being so comparatively tall and upright, visibility’s good and it’s easy to get in and out of if you’re a bit stiff or sore.

rhid

The biggest issue with mine is that it is a struggle to gt my DH bike in the back of it. It will go in but it does require careful angling and some swearing. Its not the end of the world as normally stuff like that goes on the roof. My Ht and Full suss fit in no worries its just the longer DH frame makes it a bit awkward.

cbike
    Free Member

I considered pandas. Just too small! Got a Peugeot 206 SW. Previous owner had obviously been going to the alps and back no bother. I’d have another or a 207 sw no problem.

Will take a bulky armchair or 3 bikes easy peasy. or comfortable Camping gear for two, a kayak and a Tandem. Stick that up yer panda and smoke it! 😀

hora
    Free Member

cbike I like slightly quirky, weird, nimble etc. The 206 isn’t a bad car but it just seems too sensible in a lot of ways.

RustySpanner

The Multijet diesels need a good motorway (30 mile-ish) run once a week, minimum, or you’ll clog the DPF.
    Apart from that, they’re a fantastic engine – rev like a petrol engine, torquey and fun, plenty fast enough, very cheap to run.
    One of those in a Panda would be bloody good fun.

Richard Cort in Bury are very good dealers.
    They will source you a car for your budget, plus, you get a service and an inspection etc.
    Eventually got our last two FIAT’s for pretty much private prices from them. Lot’s of haggling, but a good result!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had a Panda as a hire car as well and thought it was fine. If I was spending my own cash though I’d be more inclined towards a Honda Jazz, even if it was a bit older.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve driven a few Jazz’s- good cars. Too good. I want something that steers/drives alittle ‘cheeky’ though. Abit of character.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think that “character” etc. will seem fun first the few days, but may well be less so long term!

hora
    Free Member

Maybe but walking towards a Jazz I’ll think ‘whats for tea’. Walking towards alittle character I’ll think ‘helllo’ (or more likely) ‘some **** scuffed my rear bumper’

Olly
    Free Member

im with cbike. 206sw is a winner. Tough buggers too in 2l HDi. I’m on my second, and only cause I “upgraded” my first one to bigger faster comfier, and regreted it. If you get a panda you MUST buy the rad little 4×4 one.

beefheart
    Free Member

Nissan cube!

Olly
    Free Member

Just looked on autotrader, 2.0l 206sw “gti” going for 1650. 140bhp adds over 50% to my 90. Hmmmmm……

bullheart
    Free Member

What about a Mitsubishi Colt? Lots of room with the seats down, and the 1.1 makes a noise like an angry wasp. Ours is a second car and I love it. Goes like stink too – 3 cyl Smart engine so bomb-proof…

bullheart
    Free Member

CountZero

Definitely ticks the cheeky and nimble box and surprisingly good on longer journeys if the roads are smoothish.

For shits’n’giggles:

That is the 4×4, though, and if I had the money I’d be up my local dealer tomorrow! Seen a couple around recently, and they’re neat little cars.

Daffy

Great little cars so long as you don’t expect too much from them. Plenty comfortable and decent enough for longish journeys.

Daffy

However, if you’re looking for a nippy car that can munch miles and carry bikes – look no further:

Fantastic little cars.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a woman’s car though, right?.

hora
    Free Member

Daffy you can pick up a good 100hp from 3.5k. How much is ^ compared?

In addition. Ive driven one of those frequently (bosses)- it feels cumbersome/claustrophobic and hard to see out the rear of (for my height!)

I prefer the 2001-2007 version.

bol

I love our 100HP. In fact we were discussing the other day how we’ll probably keep it until it dies – which should be ages ’cause it’s well bolted together and low mileage.

We’ve had it about 3 years, but it still makes me smile when I look at it, and although I don’t drive it all that often, it’s a hoot when I do. The economy isn’t up to much, the suspension is bouncy and the brakes are too sharp, but other than that I struggle to fault it. And it’s got a sport button.

hora
    Free Member

Going up a profile from 195/45/15 to 195/50/15 works better apparently (from an existing topic on pistonheads)

Daffy

Depends upon spec, mine was £8.5k, but it’s got a very comprehensive spec: Nav, Xenons, heated seats, pan roof, leather, Bluetooth, 17s, non RFTs, IPod, MF Steering, Chrome, spotlights, LED DRLs, full lED upgrade etc…

With the pan roof, it’s lovely and light inside and it’s less cumbersome than the Panda which has a woeful turning circle.

Modifying the suspension bump stops on the Panda makes the biggest difference.

hora
    Free Member

But its a different proposition then. 8.5k can also buy a good Golf GTI etc!

On the bump stops- how? Linky??

Daffy

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    That’s a woman’s car though, right?.

Yeah, that’s right… 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Fiat Panda 1.4’ is closed to new replies.