• This topic has 34 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Fiat Panda
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new 1.2 Panda as a scootabout for the Mrs. They seem to be a good motor and quite frugal but are there any STWers driving such “beasts”?

piemonster

I drive one at work.

And I hate it with every fibre of my body and soul. And I frequently suggest I should leave it burning in a ditch somewhere.

Others seem to like them, some seem to love them.

globalti
    Free Member

They’re good in snow, especially with snow tyres fitted.

pondo

Mrs Pondo has an 08 she had from new, lovely little car, cheap to run, great visibility and being so small it’s super-easy to get round town and park. Costs pennies to run, too – not tried the newer, bigger model (which kind of seems to miss the point of Pandas…), but the old one is a fantastic little car.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Had the original model and the last model; both brilliant examples of what the italian car industry does best – small hatchbacks which are practical and fun.

I drive about 30,000 miles a year now and have moved to a golf, but if I was back to a few thousand local(ish) miles a year I would have another panda in a heartbeat.

p.s. used to take four of us and our bikes (on roof bars) all over the place although tbf there wasn’t huge luggage space…

the-muffin-man

The wife got a new one last November – I love it, great little car – does everything well, and well screwed together.

If I didn’t need an estate car I’d get one myself.

Andy-R

I’ve only ever driven rental ones (in Greece)but if I could afford one I’d certainly buy one – I like Fiats, mind you.

the-muffin-man

not tried the newer, bigger model (which kind of seems to miss the point of Pandas…

Don’t think the new ones are any bigger than an 08 model – they’re just rounded off a bit more (or squircles as Fiat call them!)

benji
    Free Member

Love them, had a few cars with the 1.2 engine, regular servicing, and it’s trouble free motoring. Seen a few with over 100k on the clock now and still going well. Had the original 4×4 in the old box shape, cracking motor would just keep going no matter what conditions. Want another panda at some point, but the size doesn’t fit with my current needs at present.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Wow!! STW panda love in 😆 A guy at work has one (I had forgot he drove one) 100k on an ’08 plate (owned from new) and he’s had it serviced once!! and he’s had trouble free motoring. Think I may go tyre kick at the weekend.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

OH has one, basic ’08 dynamic – I’ve been driving it while the Battleship is off the road (other car, not the OH)

It’s fine within it’s limitations, cheap to run, roomy for size, apart from the silly pastel blue dirt magnet seats, good ground clearance, good fwd visibility, small blind spot in rear side spot to watch out for.

khani
    Free Member

08 multijet here, it’s a little whiz bang rollerskate and I love it 🙂 and its cheaper to run than my MTB..

darkcove

Got a new shape Twinair 4×4. Fantastic little car. Driven the 1.2 and it handles well, the engine isn’t hugely powerful but it goes well enough when driven as intended. The ride is the stand out feature. For such a small car with a shortwheel base it copes incredibly well with urban roads. Fiat have really thrown some money at the damping and it shows. Even my 4×4 never gets too bouncy. Contrary to popular belief they are well screwed together. The vibration from the Twinair engine would soon show up and rattles.

If you’re thinking of getting a new one join British Cycling as members get access to Fiats privilege scheme. Currently £1000 off and £1250 towards your deposit

T1000
    Free Member

lots of other v good cars in that price range…..

for example

The Seat Mii / citigo / up are v good

1E Insurance Group, £30 or less VED, vg fuel economy

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am a member of BC and thanks for that!!! I didn’t know!!!

crankboy
    Free Member

We have one as our main car . it takes three of us to London or Scotland from Leeds in comfort. Easily holds two plus two bikes . we go camping with a family tent using a roof box. Not as impressed with fuel consumption as I expected 45 to 50 mpg petrol engine . we have had it over three years no mechanical or other issues.

When you are in it it feels big. Driving my left leg rests on the central console a bit but not in a way that is uncomfortable.
    I plan to keep it till it rots no sign of that so far.

pondo

Don’t think the new ones are any bigger than an 08 model – they’re just rounded off a bit more (or squircles as Fiat call them!)

I must say, that does surprise me – I’d have put money on the new one being bigger. You’d have to be thinking that rounding off the corners will hit the amount you can get in em…

*Browses off to check BC membership is still valid…* 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MrsCat has the 4×4 version as she used to go out whatever the weather as a midwife and it was brilliant in all weathers. Would reinforce all points made above. I was the relaunch version not the bulbous one that’s in the showrooms now.

notlocal
    Free Member

Not got a Panda, but if they do one with the Multijet engine with dualogic gearbox, I can recommend buying. I have a 63 plate Qubo and it’s brilliant. 44 mile commute each way, with a mix of country roads and the worst Aberdeen can throw at me, and it performs perfectly. Available in 75 & 95hp, my 75hp hustles along quite nicely. Spec is good considering it is basically a van derived car.

hora
    Free Member

“I drive one at work”

You’re a pizza delivery boy?

I think they are ace. People who love all aspects of driving like them for being ultra nimble. By far the best inner city/town car.

PePPeR

I’ll second the left leg rubbing against the gear lever moulding, it’s a dreadful piece of design!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

My first ever car was the original Panda and I loved it with all my whole heart! Such a fun car and ridiculously cheap to run. I think it cost me about £200 and it just kept going and going for years and years…

Until my Dad wrote it off trying to cut between a bus and lorry 😯 he still swears it was a legite manoeuvre , but the Panda’s side walls (or lack there of) and his post traumatic stress beg to differ… 😐

piemonster

You’re a pizza delivery boy?

I think they are ace. People who love all aspects of driving like them for being ultra nimble. By far the best inner city/town car.

😀 no but I do eat a lot of Pizza. The car was a freebie so I don’t complain too much.

I actually really like the VW Up and it’s kin. Find it a much, much better city car.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Test drove the 1.2 pop today and…. What a hoot that is to drive. They are solid for a little car. Yup I’m sold!!!

acehtn
    Free Member

Mrs Ace just got a 2010 1.1 eco to replace the grand punto from 06 that seemed to fall apart.
    She had a Mk1 Panda years ago with the rag top.

Was dissapointed she didn’t get the 4×4 and it’s very basic inside and on equipment.
    However, small wheels so cheap tyres, cheap tax, and should do 50+mpg but it dosen’t have a trip/fuel computer, so will have to work it out the old fashioned way 🙂

I had her old Suzuki Swift when she got the Punto, tried to steer her into having the new versions, garage lent her one while they tried to fix the electric issues on the Punto…..
    O2 Swift, 993cc 3 cyl, now up to 150k and on average on long motorway trips loaded up at normal motorway speeds it does 47mpg 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

The basic model has a trip/fuel computer, which surprised me!! The city mode parking assist is bonkers light.

hora
    Free Member

How does the last Panda compare to the new panda to drive?

acehtn
    Free Member

Will look into that, i am banned from the car….. Mrs Ace hasn’t found a trip computer or city steering/parking yet.

I haven’t seen the manual so no comment 🙂

Her 2010 1.1 eco dosen’t appear to have that. It dosen’t have a rev counter or rear boot popper button or remote zapper for the doors/boot….all stuff that the cheaper grand punto had…

I haven’t been allowed to drive it 🙂

khani
    Free Member

On most of em the trip/fuel computers operated by a small button on the end of the wiper stalk with the readout on the digital mileometer readout under the speedo..
    The city steerings operated by a big button with a pic of a steering wheel in the middle of the dash above the gear stick.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s the 1.2 pop (I chuckled at the name) no remote central locking but the ones with it have no key hole in the boot. So if your battery fails you have no boot access???? For the dosh it seems a bloody good car. As I said above my mate has an older 1.1 eco on 100k with one service and he’s had no bother.

acehtn
    Free Member

I think ours is just really basic 🙂 all extras mentioned where in the Grand punto, don’t think the city steering ever got used, i tried it once, but power steering worked well enough. That was a 1.2eco and would average about 40 on motorway trips….at motorway speeds, and about 50mpg on 50-60mph A roads.

Good to hear the little engine can take 100k.
    Our 1.1 eco panda needs a key to open doors and boot…..she is missing the zapper 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

had the Panda 4×4 1.4 petrol. I loved it – best car in the snow and ran it for two years without a hitch. Great utility car – could get a fair amount in it with the seats down, seemed well designed on the inside and depreciation for us was pretty minimal (bought at 27K, 1 owner, two years and approx an extra 20K miles and I think we sold for £700 less than we paid).

That said – my wife hated it – too basic; non-heated mirrors, no-AC, blowers took ages to clear windows, cheap feeling interior plastics, small boot, sluggish and quite thirsty for a small car.

I’d buy another.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well I picked up the beast today. It’s loads of fun. The Mrs and kids have named it Poppy.

acehtn
    Free Member

Mrs Acehtn has a red one, she also has a fluffy black and white cat, i called her Mrs Pat and got a dirty look 🙂

Got a little toy cat for the parcel shelf…….

hora
    Free Member

OP lucky. Panda threads are quiet rare. Tried using the search?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Fiat Panda’ is closed to new replies.