Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • FFS ….. Prams
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

re. #16.

Do add the Chicco. The best baby kit we bought. Many friends saw it and copied us. Better made than the Britta equivalent.

senorj

We had a bugaboo pram – the white handle adjuster bits are made of toffee(3 times I replaced them!)& the wheels on ours squeaked after 18 months.(kept those as a sleep aid 😉 )
    Oh & when we went abroad the missus wanted a cheapish maclaren ,because they fold up at the departure gate.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Another one for the baby jogger city mini.
    Light, easy folding, pretty cheap etc. Various attachments meant it worked with car seat and coty thingy.
    It’s been through 2 kids and used everyday – only issue was the rubber covering on the handle wearing away…which was replaced with bar tape!

davieg
    Free Member

Icandy peach, pram and buggy here, with the maxi cosy seat adapters. It was fantastic, really solid and could be taken moderately off road. It was also a really great platform for attaching a buggy board when no. 2 came along.

However, it was really bulky and too good for travelling with and having at the mercy of luggage handlers. So we bought a 2nd hand Baby Jogger City Mini and it is brilliant. So much so the icandy was used less and less, and the city mini is still used when our 3 year old gets tired. It folds easily, is light and very robust. Doesn’t realy work with a buggy board, or at least our version that was bought for the Icandy.

I think it lays flat so could be used from birth. If we had our time again, we would have bought it from the beginning.

Slings and carriers are great and we use a toddler sized one now, but not at the exclusion of a pram. They might sleep happily and comfy in a sling, but you or your partner might like to have a nap also, go to the loo, or do something not attached to said child etc.

ransos
    Free Member

Second hand, don’t spend a fortune.

Is the correct answer. All prams have pros and cons, and you won’t know how well it suits you until you actually use it. Most people I know spent a fortune on a pram that took up all of their car boot, so they then bought a fold-up stroller which would be used 75% of the time.

We bought a Phil and Teds with all the accessories (to transport toddler and baby) second hand for £150, and a cheap folder to live in the car boot.

I’m told it’s not a good idea to leave a baby in a car seat for long periods so we never bothered with a travel system.

Oh, and buy a trailer for your bike with the money you saved on the pram.

frankconway

See for sale forum – used silver cross on there with lots of accessories.
    Solid construction, will be good for any further mini oxnops.

peterno51

We had one of these..

Phil and Teds

It was ace, folds easily, narrow but could carry two kids, one forward gunner and pilot behind, an Apache if you will.

Has a lay down flat thing which looked comfy, I wasn’t allowed to try it.

Ours was an orignal, it seems to have some more tricked out versions now, mudguards!

All sorts of covers and stuff.

Good luck.

nickhit3
    Free Member

I cant believe the £££ being casually thrown about here! we used a 2nd hand Mammas and Pappas MPX travel system, travel cot, carseat/upright seat, and wheel thing for £70 the lot on a local FB sales thing. Its been bombproof. I know this righteousness wont end well in a msg board on the internet but ffs, the culture of fashionable prams is absolutely ludicrous.

stumpy01

nickhit3 – Member

I cant believe the £££ being casually thrown about here! we used a 2nd hand Mammas and Pappas MPX travel system, travel cot, carseat/upright seat, and wheel thing for £70 the lot on a local FB sales thing. Its been bombproof. I know this righteousness wont end well in a msg board on the internet but ffs, the culture of fashionable prams is absolutely ludicrous.

I agree, but try telling that to my Wife.

Do you buy all your stuff second hand though? Bikes? TV? Car? Phone? Clothes?

People buy new stuff. It’s hardly surprising that people want to buy nice new kit for their shiny, precious new child to use, is it?

While I would have preferred to have spent £100 on a second hand buggy for our daughter & put the £400 saved into a savings account for her (or other sensible spending option), my Wife wanted to get a new buggy.
    And to be perfectly honest our daughter is likely to be our only child so within reason, my Wife could have what she wanted….

nickhit3
    Free Member

“I agree, but try telling that to my Wife.

Do you buy all your stuff second hand though? Bikes? TV? Car? Phone? Clothes?

People buy new stuff. It’s hardly surprising that people want to buy nice new kit for their shiny, precious new child to use, is it?

While I would have preferred to have spent £100 on a second hand buggy for our daughter & put the £400 saved into a savings account for her (or other sensible spending option), my Wife wanted to get a new buggy.
    And to be perfectly honest our daughter is likely to be our only child so within reason, my Wife could have what she wanted….”

well no, I don’t live in a yurt and buy only second hand if that’s what you mean, but all I ever heard from society about having a child was… that it’s expensive. If anyone has the spare cash for it then that’s fine, i guess that’s my TS right?

It’s just struck me as crazy generally that the pram of all things has become such a status symbol. It just seems accepted that you have to budget HUNDREDS for a pram when the time comes, when if people wised up about their priorities for 5 seconds they’d realise it was total BS. My wife shares my values on parenting expenditure so perhaps i’m lucky in that regard- although of course I believe you when it comes to that stalemate..of course that has reared its head, it happens to all of us. My own sister 10 years ago got some Bugaboo thing and guess what? it fell apart and she sold it 5 months later for less than a third of what she paid for it. I think it was £800 RRP! I know i sound like an asshat, but its one aspect of modern parenting that seems so out of touch. Its a pram.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

It’s just struck me as crazy generally that the pram of all things has become such a status symbol. It just seems accepted that you have to budget HUNDREDS for a pram when the time comes, when if people wised up about their priorities for 5 seconds they’d realise it was total BS

Same thing could be said about anything though; a £500 road bike does the same thing as a £5000 one for us mere mortals who wouldn’t notice much difference.

People have varying degrees of money and attitudes to things; some people including myself like and will pay for well made things have don’t fall apart in a year or two’s time.

stumpy01

Dunno why you’re specifically getting so uptight about people spending money on a buggy, to be honest.

People spend upwards of £500 on mobile phones that they then drop down the toilet 3 weeks later….
    People spend thousands of pounds on cars that spend most of the time sitting on the drive depreciating, just so they can be the envy of their neighbours….
    People spend thousand of pounds on, erm, bikes!! Crazy!!

We spent around £500 on our ‘travel system’….and we have spent hours & hours using it in the last 15 months….probably gets used at least 5hrs a week, so in terms of cost/use it doesn’t really register.

And, I don’t think anyone has specifically mentioned them even being a ‘status symbol’ – it’s just a tool for the job. Some people might think of them as status symbols, but they’re the same people mentioned above who think that having a new car on the drive somehow elevates them above their neighbours….

nickhit3
    Free Member

Same thing could be said about anything though; a £500 road bike does the same thing as a £5000 one for us mere mortals who wouldn’t notice much difference.

People have varying degrees of money and attitudes to things; some people including myself like and will pay for well made things have don’t fall apart in a year or two’s time.

Maybe so, although there are several examples in this thread alone of instances where buying ‘the best’ on the market has proven to be misguided purchasing. I couldn’t justify it i know that much. If others can so be it, good luck to them, but i think a reality check is lacking in many new parents who see all these prams and assume they have to do the same. You don’t. It’s depressing as f*ck.

nickhit3
    Free Member

And, I don’t think anyone has specifically mentioned them even being a ‘status symbol’ – it’s just a tool for the job. Some people might think of them as status symbols, but they’re the same people mentioned above who think that having a new car on the drive somehow elevates them above their neighbours….

I’m not interested in debating what people spend on other items in their life- this thread is about prams right? That point has already been made, as if i was un aware of the parallel.

I’m just offering the suggestion that to those out there who – just as i was not so long ago – might be looking at the mounting costs for setting up their home and life for their precious bundle of joy, that they needn’t think that they have to shell out such a huge amount of cash on as you put it, a “tool for the job”

DrJ

Best thing we ever had (15 years ago) was an alu McLaren stroller…thing of an old style push chair from the 80’s
    Fold up one handed, weighs nothing, easily handles any city/town situation. We got the cargo net for underneath the urchin seat and that was invaluable. I really don’t understand the expensive “system” buggys. A small light foldable push chair wins every time for me.

Plus zillions.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A small light foldable push chair wins every time for me.

I’m all for not spending silly money on this stuff, but small and light pushchairs do reach their limits quite quickly if you take them off-road. If the OP – or anyone else for that matter – is a keen outdoors person, a pram with bigger, chunkier wheels is a Godsend for easier off-road strolls. I was walking up on Alderly Edge last weekend. It’s a great spot for a short, easy walk with little kids, but it’s just a bit too rough for small-wheeled pushchairs. Ditto walking round the local reservoir near me.

Horses for courses, natch.

nickclift
    Free Member

Stokke Xplory……..end of!

frankconway

Used Bugaboo for sale in classifieds.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘FFS ….. Prams’ is closed to new replies.