Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • FF helmet vs Removable Chinguards
  • vinnyeh

Apologies if this has already been covered, but can’t really find any user opinion online..
    Anybody able to say what the Super 3R and Switchblade are like venting and dealing with sweat without their chin pieces, compared to current ‘trail’ helmets? All the reviews seem to concentrate on comparing them to full face helmets.

Been going round the houses here, can’t seem to break out of the circle of indecision- I’ve been looking for a new full face (last few years it’s been for half a dozen uplift days in the UK, 2 weeks on the continent) and am trying to decide between a Parachute and Fox Proframe, both fit well, but have minor, not deal breaking, issues, for me.
    Now having a moment of doubt as to whether I should be looking at Super 3R and Switchblade as well- discounted them both originally because I thought ventilation without the chin piece would be worse than my normal 661 Recon, hence I’d be better off with two helmets. My thinking (which may be wrong) says get the right tool for each job.

SirHC

Two helmets IMHO.

I have both a D3 and a Montaro, the D3 needs replacing as its a 3 years old and has had a few knocks. The removable chin bar helmets are too much of a compromise for general trail/xc riding (which in a year is >95% of my riding), heavier and less ventilation.

Highly likely to replace the D3 with another one, or potentially a proframe (if it fits).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had 2 for a while and now back with both.
    Got a Switchblade now after trying a Parachute for a while. Having a big head doesn’t fit in a few lids. The Switchblade for me is the perfect solution for me if you only have a few uplifts a year and when you need it.

stevextc
    Free Member

The 3R isn’t a “proper FF” but without chin I actually find it as good as most other helmets for general riding and the chin part is not too hard to carry if you take a pack and IMHO way better than not having the chin if it ends up being used.

In short I’m pretty happy with the 3R …. if I was doing more downhill I’d get a proper FF but for occasional use and also sticking it on before nasty sections it’s very good (though chinbar is untested) .

In terms of value the chin bar seems way over priced…. (compared to the helmet part…. ) but taken as a whole I’m also OK at the price point (though obviously like anything didn’t pay RRP)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘FF helmet vs Removable Chinguards’ is closed to new replies.