Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fewer tits around?
  • druidh
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8591686.stm

The number of small birds – including coal tits and goldcrests – spotted in gardens has fallen as a result of this winter's big freeze, the RSPB has said.

These results highlight the importance of feeding and gardening for wildlife, especially during prolonged cold periods

But surely this colder winter is more "back to normal" for the UK, so the previous small bird population was artificially high and by providing alternative food sources we're helping to sustain an artificially high small bird population?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Loads in our garden. And we've got a lot of goldfinches too. And a robin or two. Not many sparrows though 🙁

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I've had two tits on my nuts this morning…..and a robin.

anagallis_arvensis

But surely this colder winter is more "back to normal" for the UK, so the previous small bird population was artificially high and by providing alternative food sources we're helping to sustain an artificially high small bird population?

Your making the asumption that the habitat quality has stayed the same and that numbers were high before when in fact they were I expect historically low. Also if you have loads in your garden it may just mean that a few are all crowding into a small area of suitable habitat rather than there actually being lots of them.

Drac

Plenty still post on here.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Waves!
    Can't recollect seeing any coal tits this winter and the family of long tailed tits seems about half it's normal size. Judging by the noise this morning the sparrows have done ok.
    Started hearing skylarks again 2 weeks back which always makes me think summer's here.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Saw a nice pair this morning, looked in very good health.

RustySpanner

'In the pink' as you might say?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

In the flesh might be a better description, Rusty.

zokes
    Free Member

It's the bearded tits that worry me…

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Great plumage?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fewer tits around?’ is closed to new replies.