• This topic has 43 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Lloyd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Few roadie questions… First road bike.
  • Lloyd
    Free Member

Hi, ok well i’m looking into getting my first road bike and taking advantage of both the cycle to work scheme and Edinburgh cycles offers at the moment. I’m sorry if these have been asked loads of times before…

I’m 5ft6, 30inch inside leg, and seem to be in between sizes at 52 or 54cm.
    I’ve got the usual cap of £1000 to spend.

My choices are down to the Defy 0(£799) and the Allez Elite(£712)/Comp(£900).

I think i’ve made my mind up on going for the Specialized, feels and looks a better frame. Ok the groupset isn’t as good but in the long run I can always upgrade. I tried the 54cm Specialized tonight but sadly the Leeds store doesn’t have a 52cm in at the moment. What’s the general rule when it comes down to sizing up? Is it really worth me going for the Defy 0 for the better group set?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

eshershore
    Free Member

Defy frame is better quality.

Geometry different between Defy and Allez.

Always get the smaller frame you can be fitted to, allows movement either direction. Bigger frame fit has to be shrunk, can run into reach issues very easily which cannot be resolved without messing up the handling.

Both good bikes… cannot go wrong really?

atlaz
    Free Member

Buy what feels best and fits best, you have to ride it. If you’re happy with the lower-spec groupset because the frame is better for you, that’s the right choice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

Any ofvthose will be fine. A good shop will fit the bikevto you having measured you up. Fit is key, all those bikes will be fine.

anagallis_arvensis

Buy what feels best and fits best, you have to ride it.

The first bit is tight the second not. If its a first road bike you wont know what it should feel like

mooman
    Free Member

At 5’6″ and 30″ inside leg I would be surprised if a 52cm wasn’t too big for you.
    As others have said – get fitted for it.

Dilemma you may have though is a less than reputable LBS may tell you a certain size fits – if that’s the only size they have in stock (happened to a former work colleague), and as already been said; if it’s your first bike, you won’t really know what fits best …

hammerite
    Free Member

54cm seems quite big for someone who is 5′ 6. Giant road bikes used to come up quite big too in comparison to others. It’s easier to make a small bike fit than make a larger bike fit.

wilburt
    Free Member

Ignore shop fits they’ll tell you whatever they have in stock fits.
    Ignore the web its full of nobs
    Buy the one that looks the best to you.
    Ride it lots.
    Buy new stuff when you don’t need to ask.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’m between 5’8″ and 5’9″ with a 29″ inside leg (yes, I know I’ve got short legs) and have just ordered a 54cm Specialized, which is just right for me.

I suspect the reach may be a bit far on a 54cm for you.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

54cm seems quite big for someone who is 5′ 6.

This.

Getting a bike that’s too big is a classic rookie error. Try a 52 or even a 50 before you commit. Stems can be lengthened and seatposts can be raised, but there’s very little that can be done with a frame that’s too big.

Lloyd
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, like some of you have mentioned because it’s my first road bike the 54 felt ok to me, i’ll ask them to get a 52 in and see how that feels.

eshershore
    Free Member

My alley was 56cm and too long. I am 5’10” with 32″ inseam and relatively long arms.

Allez cracked and lovely people at Specialized could not replace the frame so upgraded me to Tarmac. Was offered sizes, got a 54cm, much better fit.

However, I can easily ride a 52cm. Try both sizes with an experienced sales person or bike fitting technician

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d say at 5’6″ you’d be better on a 50cm specialized, I’m 5’11” with a 32″ inside leg and can happily ride a 54cm Spesh.

My actual road bike is a 55cm KTM.

Personally I’d get the one you like best irrespective of comments, as you’ll regret not getting the one you wanted in the first place, just get the right size.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I ride a 56 and am 5ft 10. I could and have ridden a 54 but wouldn’t ride a 58. Would have thought 54 would be too large.

If the Allez is the smartweld version I’d get that over the Defy for sure.

iainc

I am 5ft 10 with 30.5 leg and on a medium Defy. My son is 5ft 2 with 28 leg and on a small, which is too big for him. He sized at an XS at Christmas time, but at 13 yrs old he’s growing quick.

rp16v
    Free Member

I’m borderline 5’7 30inside leg I’m a really odd shape and ride a small defy 0 25 miles a day commute really is a great bike on spesh us be a 52\50 depending on your shape

martymac

I also am 5’10” with a 30.5″ inside leg. I ride a 54cm road bike. fits me very well

hammerite
    Free Member

And to add weight to this… I’m also 5’10 and usually ride a 54cm frame.

TiRed

As above. For your height and inside leg, you want a small Defy. I’m five inches taller and spent the winter riding a small with 130 stem, just to see how it rode. I also ride a medium with 120 stem. As for the Specialized, slightly different geometry means a steeper front gives a longer top tube. I’d still go with the smaller frame and a stem that gives a little elbow bend on the hoods.

Pick on colour they are both fine choices

onandon
    Free Member

The actual size 52,54,56 means very little. You need to look at the geometry chart really.
    Some 54s can be the same as their 56 in all measurements other than head tube.

For the record, I ride a 51 Cervelo s3. 5-10 with a 33 inch inside leg.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’m 5ft7/8 and ride a 54cm cannondale. No idea what my inside leg is but if you listen to people’s daft ideas, being a woman I should have a longer inside leg than blokes. Fits good, only thing I’ve had to do is flip the stem round so it’s a tiny bit up and back sweep as I was getting back ache.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

6’0″ – I ride a 56 allez.

rOcKeTdOg

6ft 2″ & ride a M/L defy

globalti
    Free Member

Always get the smaller frame you can be fitted to, allows movement either direction. Bigger frame fit has to be shrunk, can run into reach issues very easily which cannot be resolved without messing up the handling.

This is the opposite of the advice I was given by Craig at Ride-On, who used to build his own frames. His reasoning was that with too small a frame you will have too great a height difference between saddle and bars, which is fine for a trained professional but not for an amateur rider.

In the end the best way to decide is to test ride both bikes and take along someone with an experienced eye to check out your position on them. They will feel very different. A Specialized dealer will give you 12.5% discount if you ask nicely, or give you that in accessories. First thing you will need to do is put some decent tyres on the bike so allow £50-60 for that.

freeagent
    Free Member

5’10” here and ride a medium Defy.

I also bought a medium Arkose 6 months ago, which on paper should fit me perfectly, however I’ve never been as comfortable on it as I am on the Defy.

As the Arkose has ended up as my wet weather road bike (the gravel/CX thing wasn’t for me) I’m beginning to wish I’d bought a Defy disc instead, however I couldn’t see beyond the Hydro-discs on the Arkose for the same money.

ransos
    Free Member

This is the opposite of the advice I was given by Craig at Ride-On, who used to build his own frames. His reasoning was that with too small a frame you will have too great a height difference between saddle and bars, which is fine for a trained professional but not for an amateur rider.

Dom Mason, when I was wondering whether to go for a 52 or 54, told me to go for the smaller size for the reason the other posters have outlined. Spacers, stem and seatpost can all adjust the fit more easily on a smaller frame.

avdave2

I’m the same height as you with the same inside leg and ride a small Defy with a virtual top tube of 53cm I think off hand. The fit is perfect. All I’ve changed from stock is to remove the spacers under the stem.

lee170
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 7 and ride a 52 cm cannondale. The 54 felt way to big for me.

Moses

Just to be awkward, at 5’8″ and 30″ or less, I ride a 49cm Kona Major One (CX) and a Genesis 52cm CdF. The former fits me better. A 49cm Spesh Langster was too small by far.

tillydog
    Free Member

Just to muddy the waters, I’m 5’6 with a 54cm diverge (on the same sizing guide as the Tarmac, Roubaix, Venge, Allez and Langster).

The guide puts me on a 52cm. The shop had a 49, a 52 and a 56cm in. Their advice was that the 52 was a little small (it felt very small), and the 56 was too big (felt OK coming from a MTB only background).

They ordered in a 54cm for me, and while it initially felt a little small, I now think it is spot-on. Very comfortable. Apart from saddle height, I haven’t felt the need to change anything on it.

I would caution looking at the actual geometry, though, as reach, etc. doesn’t seem to scale linearly with frame size (for Specialized, at least).

bluebird
    Free Member

Fit wise you really need to sit on a few bikes. What other people ride is pretty irrelevant, it’s down to your arm/leg/torso length and your flexibility. Fit is very personal and everyone has a different take on it.

As for the bikes, personally I’d see if you can get a better frame with a lower spec group set. I know it’s £100 over budget but Evan have the Trek Emonda S 5 for £1100, for example.

taxi25
    Free Member

Ignore shop fits they’ll tell you whatever they have in stock fits.
    Ignore the web its full of nobs
    Buy the one that looks the best to you.
    Ride it lots.
    Buy new stuff when you don’t need to ask.

this hits the nail on the head !! You’d be ok on either size wise, just get the one you like the colour of the most.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Craig at ride-on sounds a bit clueless. You’ve got 30-40 mm adjustment in bar height on a bike that’s too small (or similar on one that’s the right size). You’ve got pretty much **** all on a bike that’s too big.

dragon
    Free Member

with too small a frame you will have too great a height difference between saddle and bars

I’m in this camp from experience of having had both a too small and too large frames. I could never get my position right on the too small frame and it put a lot of pressure on my hands, not an issue on a larger frame.

Mind far better to just get a frame that fits, based on reach, not leg length.

Leku
    Free Member

I’ve just bought my first road bike. An Orbea Avant. I did a bike fit first to get my ‘ideal’ stack and reach.

The Orbea is nothing like the ‘ideal’ numbers but feels fine. Find a good bike shop, try a couple, buy one.

biglee1

6’6″ and ride a XL Defy 1 😉
    I’d go for the Defy at that price and upgrade the wheels and tyres with some Ultegra wheels and whatever tyres you fancy. I got Michelin Pro4 service course for my front and Pro4 Endurance for the back. CRC are doing these tyres with free inner tubes as well

funkweasel
    Free Member

I’m about 5’9 with a 3″ inside leg. I don’t know exactly what it is – probably 28″, but ET seems to have longer legs than I do.

I fit a 54cm Cannondale CAAD10 frame, and 54CM Roubaix frame just nicely, but I’ve taken 10cm off the stem length for comfort, before I buy a slightly more relaxed geometry bike.

Leku
    Free Member

5’6″ and 51cm Orbea.

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway, frame sizes can be very misleading. My 52cm Mason actually has a 54cm top tube, for example. It pays to have a good look at the geometry charts.

amedias
    Free Member

Anyway, frame sizes can be very misleading. …. It pays to have a good look at the geometry charts.

Indeed, of the road bikes I have/have had, 54cm, 52cm, 49cm, 50cm, 53cm, 54cm, 55cm, and all ‘fit’ but all had different geo and in some case the smaller labelled frame was actually bigger than one of the bigger ones!

5’7 (and a tiny bit!) and short legs long upper body.

I’m in the size down if unsure and adjust with stem/bar reach camp.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Few roadie questions… First road bike.’ is closed to new replies.