Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Few quick qs for Gordon Gecko types
  • finbar
    Free Member

Can anyone help me out with a couple of quick share-related questions?

If you sell shares after the ex-divided date, but before the dividend is actually paid, do you still receive it?

Also, I have two very small shareholdings that I have the paper certificates for (i.e. I don’t hold them via an investment platform). They are very small amounts – £250 and £50 – and neither are in companies I have much hope will grown in the medium/long term. I presume I’d need to transfer them to my HL account and pay dealing fees to get rid of them?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep… you’ll still get the div…. you may have seen the share price open down about the same amount as the payable div on the ex date.

Certs are a pain in the bum and will I’d imagine expensive to De-materialise… ask HL how much ??

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks Ro5ey, that was what I thought on the divided.

I figured as much on getting rid of those paper certificates, but I might as well try a get a few quid out of them as I don’t think Morrisons and TUI travel will be star performers in the next few decades 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As above – OK on divis

http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/vantage-service/transferring-your-existing-investments/frequently-asked-questions

Might help you other questions – trading in £50 lots is uneconomic Im afraid

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks – that actually looks like I could transfer them to a (non-ISA) dealing account for free, which is slightly better than I thought.

Share certificates

Can I add share certificates into my Vantage Fund & Share Account?
    To add a share certificate held in your name to your Vantage Fund & Share Account, simply complete a Fund & Share transfer form and return it to our freepost address along with the original share certificate(s).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

yes I was referring more to dealing costs

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Hl transferred a small paper shareholding ( c £2k) to my trading account for free. Phone your platform provider and ask.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t ask if the owner funded/supported Brexsit!!!

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can dematerialise for free with First Direct for one. You will still have a 10 quid dealing charge. Selling in certificated form will cost a lot more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are various ways of selling paper certificates but if you can transfer them for free to your share dealing account that seems a no brainer.

BTW £50 worth ‘isn’t small (coigh) , due to an admin error (overlooked a dividend paid in a single share !) I left myself with share holding worth £6 😳

finbar
    Free Member

BTW £50 worth ‘isn’t small (coigh) , due to an admin error (overlooked a dividend paid in a single share !) I left myself with share holding worth £6

😀 Car-boot sale? Put it on the classifieds?

poolman
    Free Member

I d gift them to charity i think they batch them up to sell en mass.

Divis paid to all shareholders at 0800 hrs on ex divi day, sell them at 0801 you get paid the divi.

Those mozzer shares will take a while to recover to where they were, i bailed out of sainsburys last week tired of waiting. Retails a tough market and going to get worse, inflation is heading our way and wages arent going up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Few quick qs for Gordon Gecko types’ is closed to new replies.