Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Few questions in relation to Nutrition/training for Dyfi and beyond
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Number 567 in Dyfi this year and I really want to get in better shape than I was last year but also beyond, I’d love to be more consistent throughout the year and get involved in other events.
    Although I managed to get enough training done, I struggled with massive cramp last year,
    This year I want to get more down to a far stricter regime combined with a rigid body weight workout at home (refuse to pay for gym!) and a much better understanding of nutrition.

My current riding abilities are somewhat poor, Riding 10-14 miles in an hour (3-4 miles of that on road) on a singlespeed around local trails (Bestwood Park, Nottingham)

I can do a full loop of Cannock Chase in under 2 hours,
    A 15 mile ride in the Peak district would be a struggle.

I guess just getting out as much as possible is key?

As far as nutrition goes,
    Can anyone recommend any impartial literature?

With an all round body weight program in mind,
    20-30 minutes of circuit training after riding 3-4 times a week should do the trick?

Does anyone use gels? I used them on bigger 20-30 mile rides,
    Anything shorter is surely just ignoring what my body already has?

Thoughts on any of these questions on the back of post below 😉

footflaps

I used to take a few gells on the Dyfi, mainly gave them away to other riders on the year they put in an extra loop for the first 50 riders, was a bit of a shock to some as we all thought we were near the finish, only to be sent off on yet another climb!

As for single speeding, one year a SSer came 3rd, which was pretty impressive on such a hilly course.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Was that the extra bit where they have the beer? I made an on the spot decision to do the extra, That climb killed me!

I’m only training on my SS! I’ll be riding my full suss this year.

footflaps

Was that the extra bit where they have the beer?

No beer on that year (2007, just found the results sheet). I think Matt Page was the SSer in 3rd..

tacopowell
    Free Member

I think Matt Page was the SSer in 3rd

Yeah, I’m no Matt Page but we can but dream!

mrsmigginspies
    Free Member

I did a degree in sports science, worked for Nuffield health for 10 years, BUT all I’d recommend is do 60% of your shopping in the fresh Isle, get out on your bike as often as you can, head for every hill you can (and see them as something to ride over, not just up) and don’t smoke (if you do).

There’s over 8000ft of climbing on the Dyfi so just build on what you have obviously got, half the battle on the Dyfi is the mental toughness to just keep going when you are knackered.

Good luck. Might just see you there.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’d recommend is do 60% of your shopping in the fresh Isle

Easier said than done when working opposite shifts to MrsTaco but yup, I’m already feeling the benefits of eating more fresh produce!

if you do

Not for 4-5 years, best thing I did,
    Really don’t understand cyclists that smoke, you see them at the top of a massive climb, totally counter productive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Few questions in relation to Nutrition/training for Dyfi and beyond’ is closed to new replies.