Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Few questions for myprotien.com customers
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Looking for something to use instead of torq recovery stuff, what can you recommend? Do you mix your own up?

Also what are the gels like? Don’t like the torq yogurt like ones, but do like the SiS watery ones.

Anyone tried the protein bars? Are there any minging flavours to avoid?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the gels, but I mix my own energy and recovery drink with stuff from Myprotein.

Here’s a recipe for a recovery drink I got from a friend which seems to work well for me too. It’s based on between 1 and 1.5 grams of carbohydrate per kg of body weight, so adjust for yourself…

— 50g Maltodextrin
    — 50g Dextrose
    — 30g whey protein (flavoured)
    — 5g glutamine
    — approx 500ml water

Do not try & use the unflavoured whey, it’s grim!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks pedalhead, sounds pretty good. Wasn’t sure about the flavouring, was tempted just to try some Nesquik milk shake flavour in there.

Jason
    Free Member

I have had a couple of packs of their Recovery powder in the strawberry flavour in the past. Taste is pretty good, I have normally mixed it with milk. It is actually very drinkable, unlike some other recovery drinks.

I haven’t tried their gels, but they look to be very similar to High5 Isogels. I have used the High5 ones and they good and easy to eat/drink due to the high water content. However downside is they are slightly more bulky due to the extra water, so not as good if you are trying to cram loads of stuff into your pockets.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I just use a few spoonfuls of maltodextrin with either whatever cordial we’ve got, or if its hot some electrolyte tablets. I also make smoothies using unflavoured whey, banana, peanut butter and milk for recovery.

Edit sorry just actually read OP first sentance is for riding, second recovery 😳

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Not sure about the peanut butter thing though, sounds very wrong!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the gels, but I mix my own energy and recovery drink with stuff from Myprotein.

Here’s a recipe for a recovery drink I got from a friend which seems to work well for me too. It’s based on between 1 and 1.5 grams of carbohydrate per kg of body weight, so adjust for yourself…

— 50g Maltodextrin
    — 50g Dextrose
    — 30g whey protein (flavoured)
    — 5g glutamine
    — approx 500ml water

Do not try & use the unflavoured whey, it’s grim!

I don’t usually bother with the maltodextrin and dextrose in a recovery drink as I have usually been chucking that down my neck for the past few hours on a ride any way.

For training rides where I ride from home I whizz up a mixed fruit smoothie in the blender and use the 30g of unflavoured acid whey protein plus 5g of glutamine. If I am out on an event somewhere I usually use flavoured impact whey protein plus the glutamine in a shaker at the end of the ride. Getting those BCAAs into tired muscles really helps speed recovery.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Few questions for myprotien.com customers’ is closed to new replies.