Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 420 total)
  • few questions about DE razor shaving……
  • mooman
    Free Member

I really don’t see how a OC will solve your problem. Especially if you shave almost every day.
    Silly question – but are you still weary of the DE?
    When I first started using them I would use them very gently. Now I am confident to really press hard and get into every angle.
    I moved on from a red tip to using a Slim on a full 9 setting, and have never cut myself.
    As said though – the OC New irritates my skin.

Only 10 razors? I got more red tips than that lol

sadexpunk

Yeah, still a bit wary, I still cut myself from time to time when using them, especially with a feather blade. I’ll try a milder blade next time I think. It is really just the size and shape of the head that doesn’t agree, although I still intend trying a red tip. You selling any of yours yet? 🙂

Cougar

That PAL looks like the thing I use to scrape the cooker hob.

mooman
    Free Member

I think that may be your problem. You using the Feather blades, with their rep of being very sharp … they prob just too sharp for you!
    Standard Astras just perfect I find.

As for head size. The Fatboy is prob as tall/chunky head as you will find – but as long as you not scared to move it about a bit, it gets into every bit of face you want. I was a bit nervous doing around top lip/nostrils area … but not a prob now.

I sold a couple doubles earlier this year. Got the years I wanted now, and in the right condition too … so not selling anymore now (not buying any more either).

If the head size of the flare/Slims not suit. The Red tip won`t either. The head of the Reds are similar height of the Fatboys.
    Again though – with confidence, the chunkier/taller head won`t make any difference to get into the harder to get places.

The Techs and News have an almost identical head size. They are both much flatter, but are same width as the TTO`s.
    I really do not see OC making any difference though.

Stick to one razor. Maybe swap to a milder blade, and just get confident using that.

I am 3weeks into my cx-beard. So won`t be using mine till next February 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I took this selfie yesterday. This is the result I’m getting with :

Bluebeards revenge pre-shave oil
    Taylor of Bond Street cream
    B/rev balm
    Merkur 25c open comb
    Wilkinson sword blades
    B/rev badger hair brush

This was a two-pass shave. Hot towel first, mid-shave rinse in the “dirty” water.

Making sure the weight of the razor ONLY is used across the stroke, NO PRESSING!

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve just started wet shaving at the ripe old age of 41 (I’ve got by on a grade 0 with Wahl clippers all over my head and face til now)

I’m going for the hot shower first and aqueous cream route for simplicity and man points..
    I have a couple of questions though –

What are we saying about direction and pressure?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pressure: see above.

Direction: first pass with the grain.
    Second pass: Across the grain.
    Third pass (if you do) Against the grain.

My face fuzz growth direction is all over the place, you may find that the above guide varies in relative directions depending how patchy the growth direction is…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just dropping to show off my Darwin Safety Razor (and a cheeky classifieds mention). Think will always always be bearded, shaving is unpaid work! 8)

sadexpunk

well, the schick type E ^^^ has arrived….

experimented tonight, tried the it for the first time. i think ive finally found what im looking for!! 🙂

had a great shave, the head felt just the right size and shape (much the same as the cheapo disposables), i certainly wouldnt want more aggressive thats for sure. but i think i can finally start thinking about selling some of the other razors now. my face is the smoothest its been for a long time!
    a PAL adjustable in the post will let me experiment again with different aggressiveness i hope, and i may even look for a milder schick too.

thanks for the advice folks, its much appreciated.

sadexpunk

just an update for those still interested…… 🙂

im pretty much sold on the schick injectors now. the silver PAL adjustable up there ^^^ came, had a loose adjustment, shaved like sh!t so was returned. ive got 3 schicks at present, the E type up there ^^^, a G type (supposedly milder but i dont find it so) and a ‘schick grip’ which is based around a tennis racquet handle 😯

this schick grip is a lovely mild, smooth shave, by far my favourite.

lately ive been doing 50/50 shaves, shaving half my face with 1 razor, the other with a different one, mixing and matching every day. this is to try and work out what small differences they all have and to find out how they compare to each other. every now and then i slip a DE razor in there but they just feel so big and clumsy compared to the injectors now.

i now know im going to sell my DE collection on, so theyll be in the classifieds as soon as i sort out pics/info/prices etc.
    ill also be selling on the Ever Ready 1912 single edge, plus another 1912 that i took the safety bar off to make it more like a shavette (an idea i got from badger and blade, a ‘sevette’ apparently) 🙂

once these have gone ill start looking for more injectors, just cant help it eh? 😀

annoyingly, i keep throwing in a half shave with the plastic blue disposables. its still the smoothest, easiest shave of the lot grrrr >-( so at some point ill probably buy a nice looking schick thatll take the tracII cartridge heads.

s’all for now shave fanz……

theotherjonv

Update.

After the naysayers telling me the latest 5 blade disposable placcy jobs gave the best shave available – i’ve been on holiday for 10 days.

I took the shave brush and cream i always use, but as i was hand luggage couldn’t take my DE plus blades. So i bought a Gillette 5 blade thingy to use.

The shave is far easier, and I’d suggest with one pass is almost as close as a 2 pass or even 3 pass with the DE. If that were the only thing.

Because I now have my recurring problem of ingrowing hairs under my chin, very red and sore, which had been completely cured by my DE.

We all vary, some will find the faff of DE too much and will never suffer from other issues, in which case I can see why disposable multiblade systems have their fans. But it’s DE for me, all the way.

stumpy01

theotherjonv – Member

Because I now have my recurring problem of ingrowing hairs under my chin, very red and sore, which had been completely cured by my DE.

This is the main issue I have with ‘normal’ multi-blade razors.

Sore red bumps & ingrowing hairs on my neck that then end up getting cut the next time I shave, which makes them more irritated and painful.

Since using a DE razor I don’t get this at all.
    The cut isn’t as close as my Mach3 but I think this is the reason for the ingrowing hairs; they are so close to the skin that they get caught and grow underneath, rather than remain poking out of the skin as with the DE razor.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

faff

See, to me it’s not a faff. The whole process is a pleasure at the front end of every day, even more so if I combine it with a seriously hot shower and a three-pass shave.

Ritual, perfumes and the way the face and neck skin feels as it passes through each stage…

sadexpunk

See, to me it’s not a faff. The whole process is a pleasure at the front end of every day, even more so if I combine it with a seriously hot shower and a three-pass shave.

Ritual, perfumes and the way the face and neck skin feels as it passes through each stage…

thats exactly it.

for anyone interested, ive put a few of my razors up for sale in the classifieds now. decided to stick with injector razors, so my collection of other razors is going.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

With regard to your neck curve – have you tried this? With your free hand, use the fingertips, placed below the shave area, to pull down and stretch the skin. This will flatten out the area you want to shave.

sadexpunk

tried all that mate, stretching skin to get closer shave etc. problem is i cant remove the curve between neck and jaw 🙂 to get a close shave i need to go in the direction of chin to ear, right under the jawline where the curve is.

im pretty much committed to the injectors now anyway, they give me a better shave than the DE’s. just had the best shave ever tonight with a schick type E injector. aggressive yet smooth 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Soooo… No love for a laser Razer?

sadexpunk

Nope 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member
    … and a ‘schick grip’ which is based around a tennis racquet handle …

That’s a very nice looking Schick Grip.

gofasterstripes – Member
    Soooo… No love for a laser Razer?

Nope. I am sticking to my DE safety razor until the end of my life. Currently I am shaving with my barber pole heavy Tech in record speed as it is so easy to use and forgiving. I think might have to forget about the idea of stainless steel Feather for now.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘few questions about DE razor shaving……’ is closed to new replies.