• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by rj.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Few days aways – Barra, what's it like?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Need to plan a few days away for the whole family.

No bikes – just relaxation planned.

Avoiding the obvious / “traditional” city break type thing and come up with…

Barra.

Anyone been?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

It’s very small. There’s really only one place to eat and no tourst attractions. But if you plan a trip up the islands from there you will find a few more sites.

Personally, I’d go for Harris/Lewis which has some interesting archeological sites, proper hills and some nice beaches.

Waderider
    Free Member

Yes. If you get good weather, 10/10. If you don’t, well……..Vatersay is nice also. Best to go in the months with the best chance of good weather, meaning April/May, August and September.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rkk01
    Free Member

Small enough not to need a car?
    Or would no car mean being stranded in Castlebay (or elsewhere)?

Would be for October. Not expecting blazing sunshine, but that would be nice. Windswept and bracing is good. Rain / drizzle might be a bit of a downer.

Waderider
    Free Member

Don’t think you’re being realistic. Wind swept on Barra in autumn can mean an inability to stand, and rain is best described as regular. Weather changes real fast so at that time of the year you are best with a car. Of course if you roll the dice and they fall for you, you may have the best short break ever……

rkk01
    Free Member

Don’t think you’re being realistic.

Quite likely true – hence the questions on here…! to get info from anyone who has actually been to Barra.

I’m very aware that October is late in the year – might well be case of right place, wrong time.

Davesport

I worked there for a couple of months & have been back on holiday several times since. Barra has a unique feel to it when viewed alongside the rest of the Hebrides. As already pointed out, getting the weather is crucial if it’s to be enjoyable. The “main” road is basically a 14 mile roundabout. The beaches are of the usual Western Isles variety. IE miles of white sand. If I were going I’d prefer to have transport once there. Good weather & bikes would be sufficient. Bad weather & you’ll be needing some good weather gear or a car.

If you like the Islands for what they are, it could be a break you’ll never forget (for the right reasons) It’s an enchanting little place.

Watch out for the Emu 😀

D.

rj
    Free Member

My family’s originally from Barra, so I’ve been a few times. As has already been said it’s stunning when the weather’s good, but don’t count on it, especially in October although you might get lucky. There are a few places to eat; Castlebay Hotel, Heathbank, Isle of Barra Hotel and Cafe Kismul (which does a cracking curry). I’d definitely take a car if you don’t want to get stuck in one place.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Few days aways – Barra, what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.