Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fettling tip – buy a set of imperial hex keys
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

If your bike has US-designed or made components, buy an imperial set of hex or allen keys. I learnt the hard way by rounding off the pad retention bolt on my Avid Elixirs and had to drill it out and buy a new bolt.

That's all I have to say on the matter for now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are you sure?

I've an imperial set and the only thing I've ever used them for was changeing the clutch on the midget.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Yanks still use imperial, so US components are not metric-sized.

coatesy
    Free Member

Thought they farmed out production to the far east(to a factory where they don't/can't bleed the f***ing things properly).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

my elixirs use a 2.5mm bolt as a pad retainer

CHB

In 15 years of bike and car faffing, frigging and fettling, I have never met an imperial hex bolt. My FACOM metric set however is well used.
    Only time I could imagine using imperial is with cheap metric components where they are made to poor tolerances, so that the correct allen key is a loose fit?

Drac

Use avids here and other american bike parts metric tools with no problems.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Weird then, as a 2.5mm key is definitely too small and a 3mm too big for my Avids.

TimS
    Free Member

I use imperial allen keys every day 🙁
    (I work with lasers, and lots of US components have 'english' threads)

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim – if your bike has US-designed or made components, buy an imperial set of hex or allen keys.

that'd be why park tool allen key sets have a mix of metric and imperial on the same carrier.

ampthill

Avid is part of SRAM

are all SRAM and Rock Shox stuff imperial?

ampthill

Avid service guide

Avid service guide says you need metric Allen keys

Drac

From Avid Elixir service instructions.

1. Remove pad retainer bolt
    Start by removing the “E” clip on the wheel side of the caliper, then unscrew the retainer bolt using a 2.5 mm hex wrench. Remove the retainer bolt all the way

TooTall
    Free Member

Are you SURE they aren't TORX head bolts on there?

househusband

😕

In building and maintaining several mountain bikes over the last fifteen years using components from all over the world I do not recall ever using anything other than metric hex keys, with the exception of Torx!

mudmonster
    Free Member

Bought some Ti bolts, my 5mm allen key doesn't quite fit but my pedros 5mm fits fine. Never quite worked it out.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Got a set,Never used them.Its all metric

nonk
    Free Member

you have just fekked it i reckon.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Someone once tried to convince me that there were tolerance differences between Japanese nd European versions of metric for both tools and fasteners.

Have to say, I checked the date wasn't 01/04 for that but he was adamant it was true.

Olly
    Free Member

i have NEVER found an imperial bolt or nut on a bike.

though we have a 50s cruiser here and cant get the wheel off as its whitworth, which needless to say, halfords and the bike shop, do not stock (boo)

walleater

The only time I have found imperial allen bolts on a bike was on my 1990 Bontrager Competition fork crown clamp bolts.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Someone once tried to convince me that there were tolerance differences between Japanese nd European versions of metric for both tools and fasteners.

This is partially true but I've never seen it on a bicycle component as they are only small size threads. Motorcyle bolts are different tho. M8 bolts (normally 13mm hex head) are usually 12mm and they use a lot of fine metric threads too.

As regards allen keys there is a standard and sizes are defined in ISO 2936:2001

T1000
    Free Member

lots of US made products quote metric tool sizes, however I've found particularly for Fox that the Imperial size is a better fit eg 1" AF sockets for fox 32 topcaps & 1 1/4 AF for fox 36 topcaps

also the schrader valves in talas 36's are held in by 7 /16……

rule of thumb is the metric sizes work fine if your careful…

I suspect the sliding drop out adjuster bolts on my Lynskey are imperial.
    I haven't checked the threads, but a 5/16 AF spanner fits better than an 8mm one.
    Something for any Lynskey owners to bear in mind if you ever need to replace the bolts.
    Don't try to force an M5 bolt in what I think is probably a 3/16 UNF thread in the frame.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fettling tip – buy a set of imperial hex keys’ is closed to new replies.