Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fettle Fail Alert! – RS Rev Coil U-Turn knocking, any ideas?
  • mirage

I serviced my 2007 RS Rev Coil U-Turn fork and have 5mm ish play in direction of travel ie just moves up and down kind of knocking before damping which is annoying to say the least. I spoke to TF and they recon it could be negitive spring missing but I don't know how I could have lost anything like that. Mate of mine recons it could be an o ring that is hard to see missing from the lowers?

Anyway I would really appreciate any advice anybody could give me or maybe let me know where I could get a drawing of all parts in cut away view or some thing like that.

Thanks guys

Rio

Try the service manuals on the SRAM site for drawings etc – I've found their instructions pretty good. I've had mine apart several times and can't recall any o-rings that could be the problem.

mirage

thanks rio, I will look again but have already tried there more than once and couldn't find anything for the coil sprung fork

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is no negative spring on a coil Rev. You've somehow managed to put it back together wrongly, that would be my guess….

mirage

thanks at least that sorts out what it is not, I gathered I had put it back together wrong but any ideas what it could be anyone?

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you tightened the bolts at the bottom of each leg properly? Also the spring at the top? Did you remove any seals at all? There's not a lot to go wrong in a RS coil fork, TBH… 🙂

Rio

Try this one – http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-4310-745-000%202006%20Tora%20Service%20Guide.pdf – it's for a Tora but the insides for the coil U-turn are the same as a rev (or at least they're the same as my revs!)

Edit – problems with making the link linky, you may have to cut & paste it…

mirage

Thanks again

Stuff I have tried so far

Checking for play in headset
    Any loose bolts, lowers or 24mm tops on both damping and spring side
    No fork oil leaking

All works fine except for this little bit of play indirection of travel

Think I am going to ring SRAM and try to get a decent drawing and of course when I get time take the lowers off and have a look

I am starting to think that it night be a damper problem?

bugger

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

personally, i'd strip and rebuild – and just double check the lot against the SRAM diagrams.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nahh, not a damper problem, I doubt that. It might just be play in the u-turn on the spring. Wind the fork all the way in (Or out) and see if it goes away.

mirage

ok thanks guys I will try winding it down then take the lowers off again.

unfortunately i don't have a diagram to work from, checked the SRAM website again and they don't have diagrams just air uturn service manual with pics, doh!

Rio

Another one for you to try – the full dealer service manual – http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/TM_MY08_E.pdf – definitely covers coils…

mirage

Thanks again guys, i am thinking it might be an oil problem as I only put 5wt oil in the lowers on spring side. we will see, i'll give it a try

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fettle Fail Alert! – RS Rev Coil U-Turn knocking, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.