Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Festival of Speed
  • blaggers
    Free Member

I'm off there tomorrow for the first time. Any tips for a first timer hoping to get some good photos?

I'm only visiting for the day, so plan to get their early to avoid traffic, but when do the events actually start? Gates open at 7am, but if theres nothing running until later i dont want to be sat around bored.

How far is the rally stage from the arena? I can find any maps of the place to work it out.

Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rally stage is a bit of a walk – 10-20m?

When I went (2006) rallying started in the afternoon IIRC so you could get a good place for the hill climb and stay there for the morning.

What I regretted was not bringing a heap of food & drink and something to sit on – it's a long day to eat average overpriced food without somewhere to sit. For me the rallying was much more fun to watch. A wonder round the "pits" and static stuff will fill in any quiet time.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

10 or 20 meters is hardly "a bit of a walk" . . . . 😯

Will the Red Arrows be there? 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    blaggers
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, I had been warned about the food, and that it was worth taking a radio to tune into Goodwood FM for info on the drivers/cars during the day.

cynic-al, I was planning to take a small picnic blanket, but would you advise one of those fold up chairs?

tron
    Free Member

I'd seriously recommend going to see rallying at a proper stage. It's nice to see the super exotic stuff knocking around en masse at these shows, but you don't really get close enough to take decent pictures or get a good view.

I'd sooner go to a club level rally and get pebbledashed by a Subaru 😆 No safety tape, get as close as you'd ever want to etc.

That said, Perez did enter his Stratos in the RAC a couple of years back, which was rather fancy.

As for chairs and the like, take a yank style coolbox that you can sit on. Or cheap Ikea exam style chairs. The camping kind last about 2 hours before they break.

cynic-al
    Free Member

blaggers – yes – you may find that those by the tracks are standing so you'll have to as well to get a view! When I was there it was easier by the rally track.

tron – this is the only way to see historic rally cars doing their thing. There was lots of interesting stuff the year I went.

tron
    Free Member

this is the only way to see historic rally cars doing their thing. There was lots of interesting stuff the year I went.

I don't think it is. They have plenty of Historics at Chatsworth's show, Race Retro and any number of others. These kind of days are probably the only way to see the actual cars that were driven to wins back in the day used in anger, yes.

But, there are plenty of other historic rallys are around (the RAC for one), with plenty of old machinery. I'd sooner see a replica / same spec car being driven flat out at close quarters than the car that won XYZ going fairly steadily.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Festival of Speed’ is closed to new replies.