Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ferry to France as a foot passenger with bike , advice good bad etc
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

Thinking of going Portsmouth st malo as a foot passenger with my bike
    But just a little worrried about how it will be stored/ secured during the crossing

Just after people’s advice or experience

Thanks

Pigface
    Free Member

If Ferries in Canada and Denmark are anything to go by you should be fine, bikes get put up against the hull normally where you disembark on a RoRo. Well out of the way of things. Usually first on and first off as well. Ramps can be steep and slippy, watch out for trucks coming past you at warp speed as you try and figure your way out of the port.

luddite
    Free Member

The bikes are lashed to “bike hoops” like you get in bike sheds, ropes are provided but usually very greasy.
    I usually take my own strap to tie it down. I also use an old Velcro watch strap around the brake lever to limit the amount of movement, works on trains too.
    If your not loaded up, pannier etc, you might want to take some form of padding (pipe insulation is light) to protect the paint.

meehaja
    Free Member

Portsmouth/caen you get to board first, everyone is watching as you “attack” the ramp so hit it fast. Look out for the steel plate as you enter the hull, its slippy as hell and often wet! Once on board my bike and a few others were lashed to railings with some rope and pipe lagging to protect frames. I took some bungy cords just to make sure nothing moved around and a small lock to be sure.

fr0sty
    Free Member

I travelled with a road bike and huge suitcase and they lierally wanted me to ride the bike onto the ferry. After much protestation and a speaking with the supervisor I convinced them that this was impossible and frankly a ludicrous proposition and was allowed to walk the bike on like a normal passenger, suitcase trailing in one hand and the bike in the other.

When on board staff were helpful and I was able to lock my bike directly to the luggage rack inside the little luggage storage room where you keep your cases. This room was then locked for the duration of the crossing. Nice!

It was an expensive carbon road bike so you can understand my concerns.

This was all from Portsmouth to St Malo and I had the same experience minus all the initial faff on the way back.

Hope this info helps. If in doubt put your foot down 🙂

Fr0sty

TPTcruiser

Our family of four took the Poole-Jersey-St Malo Condor route. Went on first, tied up well in a good secure area. Worked out fine. Left most of our panniers on the bikes.
    Same on the way back apart from swapping boat in Guernsey.

flatfish
    Free Member

Off to France next month Via Caen so this thread is perfectly timed.

plumber
    Free Member

I did dover calais once – ride up the ramp – tie off against a wall near the cars – ride off the ramp

The deck guys were very good at keeping motorists well away from me and giving me clear instructions

I would have no issues about doing it again

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Fr0sty- what did you do at the other end with the suitcase??

fr0sty
    Free Member

Put it in the car that was waiting for me!

fr0sty
    Free Member

Needless to say I wasn’t touring 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Cool thanks all , sadly it will be a big all mountain bike so no luggage to protect it
    But that tip with the brake lever sounds great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ferry to France as a foot passenger with bike , advice good bad etc’ is closed to new replies.