Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Ferry prices to the scottish isles.
  • ton

anyone use the ferries onto any of the isles this summer?
    if you did, what were the prices for man and bike.

teacake
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

Aren’t they listed on the Calmac website?

ton

i tried the cakmac website before asking on here.

teacake
    Free Member

Every timetable states the price, eg: Barra – Eriskay Timetable

ton

so it is the top price i.e driver/passenger. and bikes go free?

teacake
    Free Member

That’s the one. I think you’re a passenger regardless of your mode of transport.

If you’re considering the Outer Hebrides, from memory we bought our ticket at the start and it was valid for a week or so. £45 got us from Oban – Barra (all the shorter between islands) then from Stornoway to Ullapool. 2004 that was though!

Bikes free as far as I know.

Have a great time! Harris/Lewis are fantastic – pack for 4 seasons.

ransos
    Free Member

If you’re visiting several isalnds, the hopscotch tickets are good value.

ton

cheers fella’s

marty
    Free Member

did a bit of island hopping the other week. bikes free on the CalMac and Argyle and Bute Council ferries – even the very wee ones…

Wee Ferry

IMG_6986 by martysavalas, on Flickr

Wee-er Ferry

IMG_7013 by martysavalas, on Flickr

Even Wee-er Ferry

IMG_6934 by martysavalas, on Flickr

Wee-est Ferry

IMG_7110 by martysavalas, on Flickr

dewydd
    Free Member

Marty
    Where’s the last ferry?
    1 Oban – Lismore
    2 Oban – Kerrera
    3 Port Appin – Lismore
    4 ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

4 is Easdale.

marty
    Free Member

Correct – similar/same type of boat to the Easdale one operates on Seil – Luing too.

IMG_7041 by martysavalas, on Flickr

PaulMcG

That 2nd pic is my pal Duncan’s boat! – Gylen Lady.

Duncan’s my co-conspirator on the Craggy Island Triathlon held on Kerrera (next one 31st Aug and 1st Sept 2013 fact fans!).

glupton1976
    Free Member

Marty – I’ve driven both. (Father inlaw used to be the ferryman at both of those places).

ton

looking to have a weeks of riding and drinking around the isles next september, with the lads.

any reccommendations for good watering holes will be greatly appreciated……… 😀

bri-72

We did our now (self) proclaimed “pointless way up” few years back Barra to Stornoway. Did the week long ticket thing as described above. We wild camped but had some good food n beers in tarbert and lochmaddy. TBH think they were both pretty much 1 or 2 pub towns so recommendations less of a issue, you’ve nae much choice!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think they’ll need a bigger boat, mind if I tagged along?

ton

moonter, you are more than welcome. pace might be a bit steadier than what you are used to tho.
    and i hope you like a drink, or 2 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thats not the 1st week In September is it Ton?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers Ton, I’ll keep it in mind, September can be a good month weatherwise.

Mellow riding is my thing, I’m not a big drinker, will I need to brush up on sweariness too?

ton

it will be the week after the kids go back to school.

moonter, no this is a older gentlemans trip. 8)

marty
    Free Member

Glupton – Cuan Sound must get a bit “interesting” at times…

glupton1976
    Free Member

It does. Wind against a spring tide is a bit spicey. But the ferrymen still take their perpendicular line and go for it.

marty
    Free Member

When you’ve got that much raw power at your disposal, you might as well… 🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We did a cycle trip in the summer, got a hopscotch ticket as we went from Skye to Lewis and down to Barra and back. If you’re just going one way, can I recommend going south to north, the other way means horrible headwinds – we averaged only 27/28 miles a day going south, then 41 miles in a day heading north!

druidh
    Free Member

On my Barra to Lewis trip we had a constant headwind

gooner666
    Free Member

Ton,

if you want somewhere to stay on the way/way back I am now living 25 miles west of Aberdeen or if you have a spare space I would possibly like to join you

ton

martin, thanks for the offer mate, and when did you move up there.
    not seen you on here for a long time, hope all is good mate.

i thought someone might mention the wind, and i was gonna ask about the best direction. so it looks like south to north.

druidh
    Free Member

🙄

ton

also is Barra to Harris doable in a week?

ton

If you’re just going one way, can I recommend going south to north,

never argue with a lady colin…….. 😆

druidh
    Free Member

We did Barra (including Vatersay) to the Butt of Lewis, back to Ullapool and cycled to Inverness in less than a week.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/barra-to-butt.html

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We did Tarbert down to Eriskay (we didn’t actually go over to Barra in the end) and back up to Lochmaddy in I think 8 days – and we did have a day extra on Harris cycling without all the luggage and a day down on Eriskay doing the same. We took our time and did detours/stopped to look at anything interesting, no point in just rushing from one place to another 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

We had a headwind when we did our barra to lewis tour.

druidh
    Free Member

Somebody else got a headwind…

Western Isles ‘circular’

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I do believe the prevailing winds are south westerly, hence the general recommendation for the south-north option. That doesn’t mean to say the wind can’t change – occasionally. 🙂

dewydd
    Free Member

4 is Easdale

Bloody racking my brains with that one. I’ve even used it a couple of times 😳
    Talking about wind direction. Did a weeks tour about 10 years ago. Five days from Oban to Ullapool into a really strong northerly. Day 2 was an absolute slog, Lochailort – Mallaig – Broadford almost at crawling pace. The last two days made up for it all though. Stornoway – Tarbert, hit about 60mph coming down off the Clisham with sheep darting everywhere. Tarbert – Lochboisdale on the last day, 70 odd miles of wind assisted cruising 8)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Ferry prices to the scottish isles.’ is closed to new replies.