Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • ferries to the continent
  • mrmo
    Free Member

looking at maps at the moment and considering options for what may happen.

Booked accommodation in Verbier, just need to get there.

From where i am and looking at map i am wondering if Portsmouth Le Havre makes more sense than going to Dover and across to Dunkirk/Calais.

Has anyone done the Portsmouth Le Havre and to the Alps? any issues to be aware of, costs etc????

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

The journey time is about 5.5 hours from Portsmouth. I used to work on P&O ferries when they operated the route.

when we went to the alps we used the channel tunnel. It was so easy and fairly cheap if booked in advance. Once you factor in all the traffic getting on and off a ferry time wise the tunnel cant be beaten

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the route from Calais is a lot more direct than from Le Havre (which involves routing “around” Paris). Unless the journey to Portsmouth saves you lots of hours, I’d be heading for Calais myself.

Oh and +1 to the tunnel.

mrmo
    Free Member

when we went to the alps we used the channel tunnel. It was so easy and fairly cheap if booked in advance. Once you factor in all the traffic getting on and off a ferry time wise the tunnel cant be beaten

to a point i agree, but i have to get past London and the M25,

100miles to Portsmouth or 200 to Dover, hence my question. I have done Portsmouth to Cherbourg in the past and used it as a chance to sleep. Just want as many pros and cons on this one.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Oh, and I live in Portsmouth but would still do the calais route!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Google maps from Portsmouth to the Alps directs you through Dover. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tunnel would still win for me, quicker easier and less issue if the weather acts up. Done early morning and evening tunnel trips and both worked fine, the evening one then drive for an hour and kip in an F1/ibis or something then drive the rest of the way the next day. No real issue with the M25 in the evenings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ferries to the continent’ is closed to new replies.