• This topic has 33 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Ferrets as pets
  • sputnik
    Free Member

We are planning to get 2 ferrets as pets . Anyone here have some experience and care to share some knowledge and advice.
    Some Q’s I have is would it be better to get males or females? We will get them neutered/spayed as it is essential for their health ( females especially) and helps with their smell. What I’m wondering is if there is a big difference in the personalities of the two sexes?
    Any tips and advice welcomed 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

My only advice – don’t do it if you’ve got (or are planning to have) young children – get something more docile instead – like a guinea pig!

konabunny
    Free Member

A friend used to have ferrets. They *stank*. Don’t know whether that was due to the owner’s slovenliness or the animals’ innate characteristics.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The neighbouring apartment were I used to live kept one as a pet. It was always escaping from his cage. He bit me when I tried to pick him up as he ran over my balcony. Eventually the caretaker said he had to go as the smell was attracting rats. Sorry if this all sounds negative, I’m sure they are a nice animal but do seem to need more care and equipment than other small furry pets.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

I used to have 2 – females. Can’t remember if they were spayed or not.

They were quite smelly but lived outside in their hutch in a sheltered spot. Had them when they were young so quite tameable and did not use to bite. To train them I used to wear a medium weight pair of cotton gloves and shove my finger down their throat when they bit.

They used to spend quite a lot of time inside running around – they occasionally did their business inside but, as the floor was not carpet, pretty easy to clean up.

They were really good fun as pets – watching them going mental running after a table tennis ball was great. They would fall asleep on your lap but expect a smelly jumper.

We took them ferreting once – but the sight of a rabbit bolting from an un-netted hole screaming like a baby with a ferret clamped on its eye was a little unsettling.

sefton
    Free Member

they stink – BIGTIME!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Used to have a complete hob as a house pet – the smell issue is overrated, its not that bad as long as you have a hutch outside for them to sleep in (cat flap straight into hutch), and they’re lovely to take for a walk round the woods/park with a harness and extendable lead 😀

best pets ever – especially since they have a real sense of humour – there’s nothing quite like walking into the kitchen in the morning, bleary eyed, and having a ferret pounce on your sock and nibble your big toe 😆

project
    Free Member

Fancy rats are a lot better, a lot of intelligence in a small body, and big teeth if they get upset, had quite a few, lovely funny,athletic and freindly little things they are, they hardly smell, and some women love them, and strangely a lot of blokes are afraid of them.

Never ever mix male and female, as they breed faster than a chav family on benefits.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Next door neighbour has got a couple in a cage in the garden. Can’t for the life of me think why though.

sefton
    Free Member

they stink – period!

I often see a ferret club at the county shows – the tent stinks and there’s lots of purple spiky hair around (the owners look less groomed than the rodents)

plumber
    Free Member

Brilliant to visit peoples homes who have ferrets but I wouldn’t want to keep one myself

sefton
    Free Member

dont worry chaps – just trollin 😉

love to all ferrets & ferret owners (even the purple haired ones) 😆

mastineo
    Free Member

Fabulous pets, once they’ve had the scent glands removed.
    My two were house pets and litter trained, so no more messy or smelly than a cat. Very affectionate and playful, tabletennis balls were always a favourite. Only ever got bitten properly once, I wiped a bit of sawdust out of its eye and it latched onto my nose! It was swinging by its teeth with my blood running down its face, I got on all fours and it let go once it was on the ground. Still gave it the remnants of the goose, it was Christmas Day after all.

beanieripper
    Free Member

My next door neighbour has one which frequently goes for a walk and comes into our garden. He is extremely friendly, is handled by loads of kids and has never bitten anyone. He was neutured and doesnt smell at all. loves to play like a kitten. He has actually completely changed my opinions on what i thought ferrets were like..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Email me if you have any Q’s, I’ve kept ~10 of them them as pets for over the last 15 years, both male and female and rescued a few including some rather unpleasant hunting ones which will get through a welding glove with ease!

They only smell bad if you don’t keep them washed once a week (they LOVE a bath and will float around in it relaxing!), much like a dog (and yes, dog owners, your dogs stink when you don’t wash them too).
    No vet in the UK is supposed to de-scent gland them as it’s unfair and un-necessary – the really smelly scent glands are never used unless they’re terrified (like a skunk) and the normal smell is so minor it’s lost with a wash, so the surgery is considered a cruel owner-centric waste of time.
    Some do have a more nippy character but they can be trained out of it fairly easily unless you get them in a group – when in groups they tend (more so) to keep their animal instincts and you always get one more friendly and one more bitey.

Rats are not attracted to them, quite the contrary.

Furrits can be box trained and are happy to live outside and come in for playtime.

They’re fairly sensitive souls and very intelligent – come to their name, ask you to play with them, learn tricks, will be friendly and snuggle on your lap if they’re out for a long time.

They are, however, escape artists and DO NOT like locked doors – they’ll remove the carpet and door frame if you try to lock them in 🙂

What I’m wondering is if there is a big difference in the personalities of the two sexes?

Depends what you want from them. Males are, generally, MUCH bigger and stronger but also more playful and inquisitive IME. Females are quieter and more timid and loving (though still may never sit still when out so don’t rely on it, get a cat if you want that!). Either are fun but I think I’d get more males if I were getting more of them, they do tend to smell slightly more but the females seem to get more tumors/diseases more easily. Even so ours have always lasted >7 years.

Poor old Maggie died not long back, here’s our last photo of her asking for a hug:

Maggie by j.buckle, on Flickr

stuey
    Free Member

What coffeeking said – but they will also break into your fridge and hide yoghurt pots, eggs and roast beef behind your curtains.

<Favourite small pet>

mastineo
    Free Member

No vet in the UK is supposed to de-scent gland them as it’s unfair and un-necessary

Never knew that, this was recommended to us by a vet who did it at the same time as the neutering. It was 1995 though and back then things like tail docking was a generally accepted practice.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never knew that, this was recommended to us by a vet who did it at the same time as the neutering. It was 1995 though and back then things like tail docking was a generally accepted practice.

Yeah, I think it used to be fairly common practice but had a stop put to it, often people don’t realise that the glands that make them smell on a day to day basis are not removable (thre’s a few about the body). In the US it’s still common. The smell when you scare them can literally make you gag 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Stink.

And if you have other small animals will kill them for a laugh if they can.

The 2011 massacre of the baby rabbits at work after a convict escaped is testament to this.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They will indeed eat other small animals, like frogs, slugs etc. They will pester cats and launch at dogs too – great little critters.

Don’t stink unless you’re a lazy owner.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

It’ll be a child’s next time …

A cute one for balance

coffeeking
    Free Member

In that top pic it’s yawning, but I like the amusing photoshoppinh all the same 🙂

CountZero

My bro’ and sister-in-law have had several, and from my experience, they are far less smelly than many dogs that I’ve encountered. Including their retriever Honey, who farts all the time, smelly bitch. I’d love a couple of polecat ferrets, gorgeous colouring, and so much fun to play with. Given space, I’d really like a skunk, same family, and really sweet natured pets. Just avoid stressing them…
    Not so fond of dogs, the whole walkies thing ‘n’ all, and I’m allergic to cats, so one of the mustidae would suit me.
    Oh, and has anyone ever smelt a wet Old English Sheepdog? Thanks, but I’ll stick with the ferrets.

razor1548
    Free Member

“Poor old Maggie died not long back, here’s our last photo of her asking for a hug:”

Sooooo cute!

*hugs* for your little Maggie!

Edit: Poor little thing is just begging ‘play with me please’.

What a beautiful little thing! 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Had ferrets for years, great pets and the more time you spend with them the better pet they become. Below is a quick list of tips and precautions that spring to mind.

Get both sexes neutered as soon as they mature and that cuts down on the smell and aggressiveness that a full Hobb or Jill can display

As a first time ferret owner start with an older pair (say 2-3 years) as they will be calmer and nip trained. Probably best to get them from a local ferret rescue organisation as they will match you and ferrets.

Ferrets do not need regular baths, it dries out their skin too much.

Diet also contributes to smell, get a proper ferret complete biscuit and that keeps poop smell to a minimum and ferrets healthy. They can be litter trained as well, most get the idea of a reward for a poo in the right place and become masters of the “touch and go” visit to the litter tray.

Indoor or Outdoor?

Outdoor make sure it’s sheltered from wind, heat and rain – look up ferret court.

Indoor, get as big a cage as you can afford and make sure it’s populated with blankets/hammocks and hidey holes. Water and food must be available at all times. Lock them away in this when you are out or asleep.

Ferrets are good climbers but poor descenders so make sure there are no big falls they can get at as they can injure their backs easily. Ferret proof your house/rooms as you would for a small child, so child locks on cupboards, esp bleach and medicine area’s. Make sure that the bathroom is off limits (ferrets and loo’s are not a good mix).

Remove anything with fleshy rubber/foam (TV remotes) as this will be eaten, hopefully passing through but if not prepare yourself for a £500 vet bill.

Also before turning on dishwasher and washing machine check where they are. REALLY CHECK!

Indoor Ferrets need claw clipping about every two weeks (easily done – rescue bod’s should be able to demonstrate) and keep an eye on ear wax build up and lots of head shaking (usually ear mites – treat with Canaural or similar from vets).

You will discover the merits of Ferretone and Ferretvite

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, both positive and negative. It would appear that all the positives came from people who have kept ferrets or still do, and the negatives from people who have not kept ferrets themselves 💡 .

Will mail you coffeeking, still have a lot of Q re feeding.
    We are going to fetch the ferrets on Saturday and will take some pics to share with you, hopefully not one with a ferret hanging from my nose!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

No email from you yet – just in case you’ve got round to it and my hotmail account has binned it without telling me – just a heads up.

Did you get them? 🙂

CountZero

Re: ferrets and other pets, my bro’ and sis were in town Saturday and I asked how the new puppy was. (18 weeks old, 30Kg. Pyrenean Mountain Dog). Spark out on the kitchen floor, exhausted after playing with the ferrets for ages.

sputnik
    Free Member

Yes CK we got them! At first me and my wife were asking ourselves what the blazes did we let ourselves in for…but they are soooo adorable 🙂
    They are a handful , compared to looking after cats. But we are coping so far.
    The two are only about 5 months old, female and very playful. We got them with a huge cage that we keep in the house. We let them out for a couple of hours at a time and then just can’t stop laughing at their antics. They play fight a lot and love to sniff, rummage and investigate.
    Both are potty trained and use their litter trays.
    As for their smell, yes they do, but not in a bad way. It is a musky sweet fragrance and definitely not a ‘stink’.
    CK , I will email you over the weekend with some questions.
    Here are a couple of pics, but they are so hard to photograph cos they are so active.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Very cute and yes taking photo’s of ferrets (not asleep) is like trying to photograph lightning!

DO NOT let your missus look at the ferret couture website 😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Starbuck and boy does she live up to her name…….

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a woman down the road from me who takes 3 ferrets for a walk on leads.
    I didn’t know this until the day I was riding back from taking my dog out. I ride back with her off the lead as she just runs next to me.
    This day, suddenly she accelerated towards this woman standing be a tree! The dog pounced, the woman screeched and lifted this furry thing up by its lead! What the hell is going on, I thought? My dog would never go for a puppy! Oh, silly moo is walking her ferrets!
    We must’ve been about 20 metres back when my dog smelled the ferrets (certainly couldn’t see them). So I reckon they do stink. Like prey…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Not funny, either for the ferret owner, ferret or dog. Dog’s have been known to suffer horrific and very expensive nasal injuries when taking on ferrets.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t think it was funny. Just a bit bonkers!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Ferrets as pets’ is closed to new replies.