Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ferrari – what do you think?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I like it. Do you and why not?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Looks like every other F1 car of the last 20 years.

mboy
    Free Member

Christ, hadn’t realised exactly how much wing the new rules were mandating! Certainly looks like it’s going to make a difference, and a welcome return to slick tyres too.

druidh
    Free Member

Looks unbalanced with the huge front wing and tiny rear.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Like most of us 😉

Drac

It’s certainly strange looking but not bad, very different to 640 from 20 years ago.

Pickers

Sorry, don’t like it.
    Front 3/4 view on BBC website just looks silly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7812490.stm

scotabroad

Front end reminds me of a fish slice

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Formula 1 is a joke of a sport, its incredibly boring and a complete farce.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

According to Massa who did a couple of laps in it today, its very much the same size as a formula 3 car – Just hope the racing this season offers the same level of excitement..

nasher
    Free Member

So what are the big differences / ever changing of rules then?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whoever said F1 cars were pretty? 599 please!

40mpg

With the noses getting higher and higher, don’t the drivers find the blood drains from their feet?

mboy
    Free Member

nasher – Member

So what are the big differences / ever changing of rules then?

Mainly centred around the aerodynamics, to reduce downforce primarily. There are other changes too though, to compensate for reduced aerodynamics, proper slick tyres are back in, cars are now narrower track (should be less draggy through the air), they have to have an “energy recovery system” fitted (think like the way when you brake in a Hybrid car such as a Prius energy “recovered” from braking is used to charge the battery) which then allows them a “boost button” which gives them a few more horsepower for a pre-determined number of times to promote overtaking moves.

Fingers crossed, all the changes SHOULD make for more overtaking and a more interesting race series, that said though, at what cost. It seems a very expensive way of going about doing something that could be acheived by much simpler rule changes, or even just capping the bloody budgets allowed by each team! Cap each team’s budget at £10m for the entire year say, and it’s going to be a much more effective leveller than most of the new rules are going to be, cos as it is the team with the biggest budget that allows them to get round the new rule changes most quickly, is likely to win. In other words, don’t expect anything other than a Ferrari/McLaren show all year long.

glenh
    Free Member

They will never go with such a cost capping system because the big players will pull out, since they would no longer have the advantage of their cash. Less big players means less revenue, so why would F1 go that way?

Philby

Looks very, very thin at the nose section, though a bit unbalanced with the relatively small rear wing and large front wing. Nice to see the demise of all the aerodynamic add-ons that the cars seemed to grow over the last couple of seasons, which made them look ridiculous.

Hope the racing builds on the (relative) excitement of last year. Be nice to see a few more challengers to the title than last years two horse race.

coffeeking
    Free Member

yuk

allyharp

looks terrible with that rear wing

chewkw
    Free Member

The battle of funny cars. 😆

Dibbs
    Free Member

Far too red for my liking.

Badger
    Free Member

F1=boring

Touring Car championship – now thats more interesting – at least there are some overtaking manouvers and …err.. the odd crash.

But best of all is Truck Racing – watching from near the apex of a major corner is great – 4 trucks going hell for leather into a space only 2 can fit! much better than the primadona filled bling silliness of F1.

Badger
    Free Member

oh and that ferrari looks vile.

jfeb
    Free Member

The rear wing (particularly on the BBC photo) looks ridiculous. If it makes the racing more interesting though I am all for it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

BTCC looks to be a tad thin on entries so far. I’d prefer it if they went back to the early to mid 80’s. Alfa spoilt it (IMO) when they started spending megabucks and wings / splitters came in.

Hopefully F1 will be better and we will see more banzai overtakes and back ends sliding round corners

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

looks like some chavs have been at it with some halfords bits

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

they should have a draw for grid positions for every race. Otherwise it just appears to be (for the non-fan) a 70 odd lap procession with little overtaking and some dubious results.

stumpy01

Erm, when has an F1 car ever been designed to ‘look nice’? Surely it’s probably the strongest candidate for function over form?

Looks probably like most of the other cars on the grid will look like this season just in different colours.

I used to love F1 when it was Prost, Mansell, Senna, Piquet and they had 1 fuel load for the race so just pitted for tyres.
    I think they are bringing back 1 fuel load, which I think is a good thing. Time will tell whether these changes make any difference, but F1 has been pretty boring for the last 15 yrs or so at least.

I’d much rather go and see touring cars or Superbikes.

gingerflash

“Alfa spoilt it (IMO) when they started spending megabucks and wings / splitters came in”

Maybe, but it was still pretty great in the early to mid90s with BMW, Volvo, Ford, etc. It became a bit boring when Audi started winning everything and the winner-ballast thing came in. It’s a real shame so few want to enter at the moment.

With F1 so dull and nerdy and Loeb almost unbeatable in rallying, where should we look for exciting high level car racing?

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

“where should we look for exciting high level car racing?”

British GT? Brit F3? the new F2 chamipionship & GP2

or stick with Club level racing
    Classic and Sports Car Club – everything from Jags (like watching aircraft carriers do battle, very entertaining) to 60’s tin tops

750mc

Caterhams

Ma5da (MX5 racing)

any one of these will provide far better racing – alot available to view of MotorsTV if you have sky/cable

nickc

they have to have an “energy recovery system” fitted

It’s an option only. McClaren (for instance) are having both KERS and non KERS chassis built. It’s not clear whether the added boost on some circuits is worth the extra weight to lug about. Don’t get over excited about 2009, it’s not going to be a whole load different to last year for overtaking, drivers have gotten used to no traction control, and the cars still can’t run very close together, as the aero regs revisions were badly drawn up. Having said that, major regs changes always makes for an interesting first couple of races (as long as the Big Red have it right, if not, expect lots of Italian foot stomping, and quickly drawn up rule changes)…

gingerflash

Summerisle – we went to watch touring cars a while ago and while the BTCC races were fun, it seemed the “lower” down the classes you went and the less suited the cars were to track racing, the more exciting the racing was. single seaters were all a bit boring, touring cars were pretty good, vectras better still, and the bog standard fiestas were great – lots of two wheel action, dozens of broken door mirrors littering the first corner, every car leading at one point or another, loads of crashes and some even rolled. top stuff.

thepurist

New Toyota revealed today – quite different to the Ferrari in some areas. I’m loving the smooth lines of this year’s cars – and the new rules seem to be generating some different design solutions which is going to be ‘interesting’. McLaren launch tomorrow so we’ll get to see what Hamilton’s gonna be cutting corners in this year 😉

hora
    Free Member

Boring. 2009. Hamilton wallops all comers, still isnt popular in England (as no punters can identify with a successful coloured-lad (unless hes foreign then they can offer faint-praise).

thepurist

Personally I don’t think a lot of the anti-Hamilton-ness derives from race, not in the UK anyway. It’s more to do with his media image and in some ways is similar to the way Schumacher was perceived in this country when he started showing his talent – with Schu his arrogant image apparently came about because of his relatively poor English, so he spoke in a simplistic Germanic way and it didn’t go down too well. As Schu’s English improved he became more relaxed and started to show a bit more humanity. Didn’t stop him cheating of course, but he was a quick cheat.

With Hamilton I think a lot of it is due to his dad’s poor management of him – had Hamilton taken on a new manager in 2007 they would probably have gone on a PR offensive to give him a different image than that which he ended up projecting. When he’s relaxed and off-guard Hamilton can be a genuinely affable, likeable guy but when he’s on-duty he comes accross as too much of a company man and that stifles his personality. Still frickin quick tho!

hora
    Free Member

When Schummacher broke down in tears in a post-race conference I did warm alittle. A tiny glimpse of the pressure that he faced.

Hamilton is scarily quick when he focuses. I think when he does move to Ferrari he’ll become more complete with exposure to company approach/management-style

Yetiman
    Free Member

I like it. The design changes are for the better I think. It’s the steering wheel I’m concerned about, check the size of it

Ferrari testing

jahwomble
    Free Member

I refuse to bother watching traffic for "fun".:)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ferrari – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.