Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Fergals most excellent Adventure? Scotlands untapped potential
  • balfa
    Free Member

Well those guys managed the Aonach Eagach with their bikes, strapped to their rucsacs for most of it apparently, does that count as riding it?

Not much else a sane person could do on the ridge proper though. Its not like its ever going to get ridden fully. Those guys are not the only people who have ridden/taken bikes up all the munros either. I have utmost respect for anyone that has done it. Just my 2p though.

fergal
    Free Member

@Heatherbash well the plan was to ride down to corrour bothy, well as much as possibe, the ghru is surely a push/hike boulderfest. I have never heard any one extoling the virtues of riding the ghru, apart from the last descent, you know otherwise?

PS i will concede perhaps you do know otherwise, i’m fully aware it maybe a duffer, but it is only recently persons latched on to the likes of Etchachan on Macdui no?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

It’s all relative…

What you are proposing really isnt worth the considerable exertion required to get up there (and across) in the first place.

>but it is only recently persons latched on to the likes of Etchachan on Macdui no?<

No and there’s hundreds of others that were bagged many moons ago – they’re just not repeated on here.

fergal
    Free Member

I’m sure there are hundreds that were bagged many moons ago, if they were good, i want to know where they are!

Braeriach next on the list.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m a walker/skier/biker, so I’ve been up most of these so I know which ones I’ll bother to take a bike round and which I’d rather do with feet/ski’s. I really don’t see the point in humphing a bike up something when the reward is to humph it back down. I’ll leave ticking boxes to when my biking days are done and it’s time for bingo.

bajsyckel

😆 @ bingo playing (must remember that) – pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

fergal
    Free Member

Messiah I hear you got bingo wings already 😯

I live in a land south of the misty mountains in a place called England, hence my inquisitive nature for all things mtb north of the border, if you don’t want to share knowledge don’t post.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

messiah – Member
    … I really don’t see the point in humphing a bike up something when the reward is to humph it back down.

Completely agree. I have no issue humping my bike up Munros providing they are 90% ridable on the way down. I’ve done 5 Munro descents that I don’t know of anybody having done before. 2 probably have been done and the other three probably haven’t, and another couple of probable virgins planned for July if the weather holds.

IMO don’t see the point of doing them just to tick the box, but if they are good descents, the satisfaction of getting the bike to the top plus the long, long descent is a real buzz that keeps me going for days.

>but it is only recently persons latched on to the likes of Etchachan on Macdui no?<

No and there’s hundreds of others that were bagged many moons ago – they’re just not repeated on here.

Exactly that

fergal
    Free Member

Hold your horses a god damn minute, who said anything about going cycling in the mountains to tick boxes other than Messiah?

I am merely trying to discover good rides/descents and am totaly of the opinion that the descents are as near as 90% ridable, why do you think i am asking on here to glean whether they are worthwhile ffs.

THE RIDES I AM ASKING ABOUT I HAVE NOT DONE! (deep breath)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

And breathe.

fergal, I don’t think anybody was aiming the tick box comments at you, but at unspecified people who may do such a thing. Looks like there is general agreement on the fact that the downhill rideability needs to be comensurate with the uphill effort

fergal
    Free Member

Ok agreed. 😳

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

So… I’m living in Kinlochleven for the moment~ anyone willing to share experiences of rides in the area~ in particular, got my eye on the Na Gruagaichean ridge.

Vader
    Free Member

the south cluanie ridge was ok, we did it a few years ago now and like a lot of similar rides I doubt i’d ever repeat it. We went up from the inn, up the old tarmac road to the highest point then started carrying. There are some lovely sections on the way but essentially it was carry/push the ups, roll the downs. The final off was ok, long but nowhere near the best scotland has to offer. There are a ton of variants though, the trail into the glen to the south looks interesting.

Like others have said, if you walk or climb a lot you come across gems all the time. The tipping point is something like 70% rideable, 30% push i think, maybe less if the descent is spectacular but i guess it depends on you misery threshold. The liatach ben eighe descent is a good example of that…

On the other hand if you are off on a mission i always try and remember its about getting somewhere awesome, and maybe having a decent ride on the way.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Fergals most excellent Adventure? Scotlands untapped potential’ is closed to new replies.