Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fenwicks airtight – how's it work?
  • quantockspaul
    Free Member

I run out of Stan’s and so has the lbs, so they sold me fenwicks airtight. 2 days later and several hours invested and I’ve still got 3 flat tyres that are looking like they need tubes to do this weekends xc and til I can get some Stan’s. £20 down the drain it seems unless anyone can give me any tips, please.
    1 tyre is a brand new cross mark exc on a roval el, and the other two are part worn medusas on Stan’s crest rims. One of the medusas has a 5mm tear I’ve now discovered which is going to need a patch. They all seem to leak at the bead, the valve hole and even some spoke holes. I’m pretty sure the Stan’s would have sorted it but this blue gunge doesn’t seem to set or get ‘drawn’ and forced through the leak.

austy
    Free Member

I got somer of the same stuff and found it really thick took ages to seal up a set of Specialized Fast Track tyres. I was getting punctures each ride I was out and thought it was just bad luck.
    Looked on the box and it said “water soluble” so poured some water in gave it a more water consistency and able to splash about sealed a puncture the first time I was out with it watered down and sealed a set of new purgatory tyres super quick too.

just pop the bead off wcopp of water in slosh it ain’t gonna hurt and costs nowt.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

Cheers austy, I’ll give it a go.
    One other thing I wondered was the thixotropic bit – which is supposedly thicker viscosity until agitated when it becomes runnier. Maybe I should shake the bottle really hard to see if it gets runny, then it might slosh around more and get in all the little holes rather than being blobby sludge in one place.

PJM1974
    Free Member

In short, it doesn’t work. I’ve tried everything to get it to work and have failed miserably. It also stained my patio/riding shorts/garage blue.

I switched back to Stan’s and my puncture woes came to an end.

antares
    Free Member

Could never get it to fully seal the sidewalls of my nobby nics. Spent 3 days trying, laying the wheels on their sides for hours at a time. Gave up in the end and bought Stans, poured it in gave the wheels a shake. Done.

66deg
    Free Member

I have it in UST rubber queens and it works fine , when i was looking into it i found a review which said it was fine for UST because the extra layer of rubber on the inside of the tyre means that the thinner fluid has a deeper hole to seal into and the fluid will last for the life of the tyre .
    If you are on tubeless ready then i think it will not seal properly and Stan’s is the best solution.

Hope this helps.

muddyground
    Free Member

Hated the stuff. Got it to work eventually but the process of getting there was horrid – still got blue stains on stuff. Guess if this is the first product you use, you’d follow the instructions but coming from Stans’ you make assumptions. Oddly enough on reflection I’d still use it, but as an additive to Stans.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fenwicks airtight – how's it work?’ is closed to new replies.