Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Felling a tree.. how much ?
  • rickmeister

I know there may be a bit of MTFU and diy, especially as I have a chainsaw but I reckon its best to get a pro and their insurance in on this job.

In our garden are four evergreens in a short line, each 1m diameter at the base.
    3 obstacles in a U shape, the trees sit in the centre of the open side of the U.
    House 1, 10m away. Open end of the U, Right side
    Mains overhead power line, 15m away. Open end of the U, left side.
    Another house, 20m away against the closed end of the U

The 4 trees are mature and about 30m high…

Getting it wrong and they take out our house gable end to the right, the power line to the left or, for comedy value they go the completely wrong way and cleave my neighbours house in two.

What would be a guestimate or typical price to drop them by a tree surgeon ?

Zed
    Free Member

My parents just had 4 x 70’ish pine trees felled and taken away by a qualified arborist for £300, which I thought was quite good
    same situation as yours, houses very close, power lines etc.

rickmeister

Thanks Zed, that is a lot more reasonable than I thought, though I want to keep the wood as we have the mandatory woodburners. I guess this will probably up the price a little as the Arb guy wont make anything from the wood for himself…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You need to get the number of Zed’s guy. That is very cheap.

We paid £500 for a conifer to be removed and a chestnut to be turned into a totem pole (the neighbour didn’t want it cut down). And that was the most reasonable of the three quotes we got.

Zed
    Free Member

The guy was cheap and did a good job. my parents were sick of travellers knocking on the door every other day offering to cut them down for silly money so they got 3 local professionals to quote.
    the other 2 quoted around £700
    in Wiltshire if that helps 🙂

Del

in a restricted space they’ll be topped and brought down that way, rather than dropped as one lump i expect. if you still want the brash taking that’s where the other cost lies apart from the felling. the cost for that will to some extent depend on how much of a ball-ache it is to get that out of your garden to the chipper. money gained from wood as fuel is christmas beer money to a tree surgeon IME.

rickmeister

Thanks Del..

Getting a tractor into the garden is no problem neither would removing the timber be a problem. Its just dropping them safely thats the worry.. If the branches were removed it would be no problem if they were dropped full length away from all the obstacles… there is nothing to hit.

Happy to tidy up brash and stuff myself.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

I had some recent quotes for pollarding a sycamore tree. Quotes were anywhere between 600 to 1000.

I wouldnt expect any change out of 800 for what you are asking.

TooTall
    Free Member

Happy to tidy up brash and stuff myself.

What would you do with it? That’s the reason tree surgeons have chippers and high sided tipper transits.

footflaps

I had some recent quotes for pollarding a sycamore tree. Quotes were anywhere between 600 to 1000.

WTF. I took one down completely in about a day!

bol

We paid £250 to have a eucalyptus felled, chopped into log lengths and the rest taken away. Thought that was pretty reasonable. Got to be upwards of £500 for the three I’d have thought.

slowoldman

Like Zed we had several wildly varying quotes to take down 3 large willows and lop a couple of other trees. We got them done by a very professional outfit for £400ish. They chipped the lot and left us a wagon load of mulch. It would have been extra to have the stumps ground down but we advised not to bother. Providing they are cut very low they will die off. They have.

rickmeister

[quoteWhat would you do with it?[/quote]

Anything that will go in the wood burner will be doing so. I want to cut and stack as much timber as possible from these four trees.

Getting a good idea on general cost for this, thanks…

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’d be climbing them with a bow saw over my shoulder and cutting them down piece by piece from the top.

*Note to self – Never plant a tree near the house*

Pigface
    Free Member

Who you gonna call? McMoonter

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Which area of the country are you in?
    My brother-in-law could help if Sth Somerset/Devon/Dorset area, and i’d guess around £300 would be about right, possibly less if you don’t need it chipped on site.

TooTall
    Free Member

Brash is the stuff too small to burn – hence why it gets chipped down. I only mention it as my brother is a tree surgeon on Tyneside and I’ve done ground work with him a few times. When you cut all the branches off a tree and put them on the ground they are an awful lot of bits that are only useful for chipping.
    They are pretty big trees with a lot of brash.
    Don’t forget, with a proper tree surgeon you are paying for insurance in case anything goes wrong. Just get a couple of quotes – they don’t charge for them.

rickmeister

Exactly TT, thats why I was wanting to get a guestimate price as I dont fancy taking out the power supply or my own building.

I am hoping that the insurance etc etc are a fall back from skill and experience with a tree surgeon..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

IF you can have a fire, the brash should go in an afternoon. Note the IF, and it would be a big fire, whole branches.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Felling a tree.. how much ?’ is closed to new replies.