Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Fell from the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down
  • globalti
    Free Member

I just couldn’t bring myself to trust that seat tube not to collapse forwards on landing after a big jump. The frame must be heavy thanks to the inefficient shape?

And five different places to stack your gear must make for a lot of faffing as you set up camp then pack. Give me a simple pair of panniers any day; well-packed and secured panniers don’t upset the handling on a hardtail.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is partly about the bike. You’d not get far on that Brompton on the HT550 would you?

whitestone
    Free Member

@globalti – no faffing at all really, you just organise your kit accordingly. On an ITT I’ll have one bag containing my bivy kit, one for spare clothes, food is in stem cells, etc. Depending on the distance, time of year, weather and strategy I’ll use the minimum set of bags needed.

This weekend is the YD200, looks like decent weather and I intend to ride it in one so I’ll just have two stem cells for food and a very small seat pack with some spare clothes and an emergency bivy bag.

Speeder

globalti – Member
    I just couldn’t bring myself to trust that seat tube not to collapse forwards on landing after a big jump.

I’m not sure “big jumps” are really on the horizon for any of these frames.

😆

slowoldman

Why are the seat stays dropped like that?

Standover height. Oh no, wait a minute.

d3carbon
    Free Member

It’s a statement bike rather than one designed for real use.

This^^^

I would imagine it’s the ideal mode of transport for the type of hipster who sits in the window of Starbuck drinking latte while using his electric typewriter.

I personally think it’s probably the most terrible looking bike I’ve ever seen.

hols2
    Free Member

I personally think it’s probably the most terrible looking bike I’ve ever seen.

Champion for Life

robcolliver
    Free Member

Whitestone – the Lauf’s do what they said on the tin. They are spot on for that kind of racing; light, reliable, comfortable.

I know some folk think they are ugly, but I sleep in ditches and wear my bibs outside my shirt when I’m racing, so why would I care what a fork looks like?

I’ll be on them again when I hit the race again……

molgrips
    Free Member

I would imagine it’s the ideal mode of transport for the type of hipster who sits in the window of Starbuck drinking latte while using his electric typewriter.

Not a chance. Hipsters don’t ride stuff like this. And they sure as hell don’t go to Starbucks. Not from London are you?

whitestone
    Free Member

Cheers Rob – was thinking about them for the HT550 and CTR.

robcolliver
    Free Member

HT550? CTR? I’d leave the Lauf in the shed and go back to a set of Reba’s for that one if I ever get the time to race them.
    Thats far outside the Lauf remit.

whitestone
    Free Member

Cheers Rob. Looks like the Pikes if I can’t find any 29er Rebas with 15mm axle.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Fell from the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down’ is closed to new replies.