Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Feet problem…..spd v flats?
  • ton

only been pootling about for the last few years so I gave up on spd pedals and shoes, because I didn’t really feel the need for them.
    back to normal riding now, so I thought I would try some again.
    bought some shoes and pedals, and used them on a weeks tour.
    my feet are knackered from using them. sore ankles and arches.
    the stiffness of the shoes seemed terrible.
    so the question is, what shoes (flat) would be good for commuting/touring/offroading.
    in the past I have used 5/10 and hated all their cycling shoes.
    used teva links which were comfy, but too flexible.
    used spd shoes and pedals for years prior to last weeks tour, and set them up like I always have.

any ideas please.

devash
    Free Member

Why not try a softer SPD shoe?

dooge
    Free Member

One thing I found was the SPD shoe I had a few years ago really didnt fit my feet for just pedaling. The width was wrong and therefore putting my arch in the wrong place. Also if you have been used to using flats and having your feet in a position that you dont get with SPDs then you are bound to have sore feet whilst you get used to them.

lawhitey
    Free Member

I thought id have another go with spd’s the other week and now I know why I give up on them before, I had a nasty off only the 2nd time out on them due to not being able to unclip in time and I know if id have been wearing flats id have been fine, might be rider error but thats just my opinion. Now I haven’t been able to go out on my bike for a few weeks, the flats will be going straight back on and i’ll just carry on struggling up those hills, for me that is the only benefit I see in wearing spds.

Gilesey
    Free Member

Started with Shimano shoes and pedals and never got on with them, sore everywhere.

Moved to Specialized shoes and first eggbeaters, then Time pedals and have never looked back. Spesh shoes and a floaty pedal just seem to suit me better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Feet problem…..spd v flats?’ is closed to new replies.