• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mos.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Feels like I'm going to go over the bars
  • mucker

Out today at GT on newly built up 2010 Turner 5 spot with 140mm Pikes at the front, 630mm wide bars and a 90mm stem.
    Feels like I’m close to going over the bars when coming down from drops and going over table tops and doubles.
    What changes to the set up will help to get weight further back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats the head angle on that?

At 630mm bars do your thumbs overlap the stem?

Some of it could be down to how your riding it, where is the saddle?
    Whats the 90mm stem for is it to make the bike fit?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Try a shorter stem and wider bars and check your saddle fore/aft adjustment. Also, saddle height may have a bearing, I.e. Is it too high?

coatesy
    Free Member

Might be worth trying a bit more low speed compression on the forks to reduce dive.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Wouldn’t Wider bars would move the centre of gravity forward?

Gnnr

A taller fork would help a lot, I have the same bike and have found 150 revelations to be the sweet spot, I’m experimenting with fox 36 floats at the moment but reckon that they will need to be set to 150 due to the axle to crown height, I did have a set of 140mm travel forks to start with and I felt the bike was too steep.

Wider bars will also help.

househusband

Wouldn’t Wider bars would move the centre of gravity forward?

My thoughts too. I’d just start with a shorter stem.

rickon
    Free Member

Generally sounds like you’re front heavy on landings. So…

As above really, I’d check your fork pressures, once you’ve set sag right, dial in some compression damping to stop bottoming out.

Next I’d look to turn your brake angle, so they’re almost flat, and horizontal to the floor. If they’re pointing down, you’re going to be pointing down.

Once you’ve done that, you can drop your wrists, so you push through the bars, not down.

Then, drop your heels. Same affect as above, and you’ll lower your centre of gravity.

Shorter stem will help, wider bars won’t. But they’ll make the bike feel less twitchy, 630 is very narrow, very narrow. However, I’ve seen guys riding narrow bars very well indeed.

granny_ring

Shorter stem = wider bars doesn’t it?

rickon
    Free Member

I should also add, changing setup is pointless unless you change your position with it.

Drop your heels, drop your wrists, and adjust the controls to suit.

klumpy
    Free Member

Reading the topic I had this vision of the poster typing on his phone while riding and hoping for a reply before he stacked. 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Shorter stem = wider bars doesn’t it?

Well, yes.

With a 70mm stem and 630mm bars the bike will feel bonkers twitchy. However, the affect that has on you landing front heavy is nothing compared to bad position, poor fork setup and a loooooong stem.

Also, look up when going over drops. Not down in front of you, as the weight of your head will again tip your forward.

mucker

OK that all sounds good, except for the change in the fork setting as its when I’m in free space I feel the weight is too far forward, not when I land.
    The change in the brake position sounds interesting.

nosedive
    Free Member

That change in brake lever position helped my riding a lot

granny_ring

Good point about the brake level angle rickon, got mine sorted via jedi and it makes a big difference.
    OP try a 70mm stem and wider bars for a start too.

Northwind

New bike… Parts changing might make sense but give it some time too, you’ve got to learn the bike.

pinetree
    Free Member

New bike… Parts changing might make sense but give it some time too, you’ve got to learn the bike.

+1. What bike did you have previously? It could be that you’re used to having to push the front end into things (not always a conscious decision, once you know the bike) and this new bike responds differently to that kind of riding style.

Give it more than 1 ride before you start messing around with it too much 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

A dropper will sort it out if you don’t already have one on. Nowt wrong with a 90mm stem though the fashionistas will decry otherwise. I use 60mm stem ATM with wide bars but tbh I think I preferred a 90mm stem with slightly narrower bars.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

have you played around with your rear shock rebound yet?
    Slow it down and see if that help.

tmb467
    Free Member

If you’re out of the saddle when jumping and dropping, then there’s not much you really need to do with your set-up.

You’ll probably get more from learning to move your body to the right position first.

Hip movement and getting low will help more – you’d need to post a video of your position but I’d bet you’re standing too tall, arms locked straight and your shoulders forward / back curved. This will throw your weight forward no matter what you do set-up wise. Move your hips back to straighten your back and get lower towards the stem – heavy feet / light hands will allow you to move around the bike better too

Unless the frame and set up is way too big or small then it’s more about body position than anything else (if you’re not seated)

Some good stuff here

weeksy

Yesterday i felt like i was going over the bars too… mostly because, i was going over the bars… Owwwwww.

mos

I am suprised that no one has suggested that maybe your frame is too short?
    It took me years to realise that my problems of going over the bars was actually down to having a long torso & whilst the bikes i were riding were ‘right’ for my height, ther were probably about 2″ too short in the TT.
    Now i ride a 21″ frame with about 5″ of seatpost out & a 90mm stem & i feel like i can finally ‘gleam the cube’.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Feels like I'm going to go over the bars’ is closed to new replies.