Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Feeling terrible and want comforting!
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I cut my wee boy’s ear while cutting his hair tonight and I feel awful. He’s such an innocent and amazing little fella and the scissors neatly snipped a tiny sliver along the top of his ear! We’ve been to the doc and it’s not below the sub skin layer and there won’t be any scarring, but I can’t even look at the wee chap’s beaming beautiful face without welling up right now!

He cried for 5 minutes when it happened, but once I got an eye patch wrapped around it he just turned into the most smiley nice wee boy ever. He thought the drive to hospital after his bedtime was a big adventure and has loads of stories of the things he coloured in and ate in the waiting room.

In typical good luck style, the car smacked into a pothole on the way home and flatted. I stupidly crawled onwards until we got home, but I couldn’t face the prospect of trying to deal with things on a cold wet and windy night, toddler overdue his bed and dinner in the back seat, 3 day old baby at home and a wife that’s unable to take full care of her right now as she’s recovering from a c section etc etc, but the relief I felt and outburst of whatever took control of me a bit.

I’ll never take scissors to his hair again, so it’s either clipped crew cuts or hairdressers from now on!

I am just amazed at how well he behaved through it all. Took the doc cleaning and inspecting it like a boss, unbelievable. I hate myself for it all though!

revs1972
    Free Member

I trapped my boys fingers in the door frame. Think I cried more than he did.
    They are pretty resilient though . Speedy recovery to yours

bearnecessities

If I was an ickle baby, I’d rather my Dad was the sort to accidentally knife me cutting my locks, than not take an interest.

Chill 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

As long as you weren’t giving him an unforgivable bowl cut at the time.. You are forgiven

legend
    Free Member

Unforgivable – who wants their parents cutting their hair?!

anagallis_arvensis

I clipped my sons finger when he was a few months old with the nail clippers!!! Ooops

perchypanther
    Free Member

it was an accident. Chill.

Wait until you do something really unforgivable that will scar him for life.

Like embarrassing him in front of a teenage girl or cutting off the wifi.

Edukator
    Free Member

It might upset him more even if you don’t cut it again. I cut junior’s hair last night before he went back to uni.

RustyMac

Wouldn’t worry bout it too much. I’ve done a few things by accident that have hurt out little lady – stood on fingers, nipped finger in oven door, cut her finger when she wriggled as I was trimming her nails.

She has scratched me so hard on the face I was bleeding in 3 places, shut my hand in her bedroom door and just yesterday reverse headbutted me and has given me two black eyes.

As he grows up he will get his own back don’t you worry.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Take him fishing! (just leave the filleting knife behind) 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Planning to spend some time down the canal with him once spring is underway, but he’ll only be 3 by then and probably not keen on spending long enough for the groundfeeding to work!

PJ266
    Free Member

Fishing has its risks. My old man hooked my eyelid whilst casting when I was about 7, maggots on the hook and all 😀

Dont think he told my mum til a few months afterwards.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it. I’ve trodden on or knocked over my kids so many times we’ve lost count. Last misdemeanor was hitting one with an errant golf ball. They still love me.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fishing has its risks

Yup.. My Dad smacked me in the face with a Weever fish when I was a kid. Accidentally of course.

Luckily the spines didn’t get me.

piemonster

Bear speaks with unexpected wisdom

cbike
    Free Member

Chillax man, you are an amatuer. – My mother zipped up the end of my willy in a sleep suit.

Just a wee nick, mind but one of my first memories.

JoeG
    Free Member

cbike – Member

Chillax man, you are an amatuer. – My mother zipped up the end of my willy in a sleep suit.

Just a wee nick, mind but one of my first memories.

😯

*crosses legs*

CountZero

My mum slipped while holding my brother when he was a baby, dropped him and broke his arm! Good thing social services weren’t like they are today…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My mother manged to accidentally shut the car door on my brothers finger (he was sticking them in the door) he was the sort of person to never let her forget that – until he did it to his daughter. Shit happens get on with life

oldnpastit

The wife of a very good friend and neighbour did exactly the same to their son when he was about 18 months old.

He’s currently going round the world, waiting to start at Oxford University next Autumn.

I’ve never heard him say the missing bit of ear was a problem.

chewkw
    Free Member

Dude use a small Wahl clipper next time or the one for trimming beard.

Toddlers’ hairs are very soft so no need heavy duty clipper.

Never anything sharp near the toddler head or face dude as s/he can move unexpectedly.

takisawa2

Wait till you dislocate his elbow putting his gloves on. That’s a toughie. 😳

Congratulations on your new addition.
    You have permission to make a fuss of the wife & children. Everything else can wait.
    Who said this Dad lark was easy then…

Poopscoop

glasgowdan-

What absolutely seeps through your first post is how much you love your boy.

Your obviously a good Dad. He’s a lucky kid. Don’t beat yourself up about it.

Wait till he falls off a bike one day trying to keep up with you as you’ve corn come over completely selfish and just want to cane down a rather muddy hill at speed…. Only to look behind and see your lad is nowhere to be seen as he is on the floor covered in mud way up the hill…

Not that I’ve ever done that.

Ahem.

chestrockwell

My 3 year old has a spare dummy if you want comforting mate. He’ll be fine, relax.

Done similar and a great big hug from dad always sorts it.

jamj1974

He will be fine. Most of us have unintentionally hurt one of our own. It feels crap but it will be ok. Without doubt you will still be his hero!

allan23
    Free Member

I used to get my hair cut by family, I was 17 when I last had a haircut and it’s taken until late 40s to start thinking about it again.

Been thinking about it for a couple of years now, might even do it this year, but the sheer terror and trauma of haircuts still haunts me.

Do you really want to put your kids through that? 🙂

boxelder

You haven’t had a hair cut for 30 years?? 😯

OP – my wife cut the end off baby No.1’s thumb with nail clippers. He doesn’t remember, but she does 😕

Gunz
    Free Member

I broke my lad’s arm a few weeks ago as he attempted to save one of my patented rocket penalties. He’s inordinately proud that he saved it and has a cast to show off (I’ll make sure I chip the ball in before I comfort him next time).

geoffj

I clipped my sons finger when he was a few months old with the nail clippers!!! Ooops

+1

codybrennan
    Free Member

Mrs CDB once went to get a wee bit of stoor or something out of our eldest girl’s (now 13, then 3) left eye. Mrs was cooking at the time.

She was sure that she could see something in both of our daughters eyes, though, and had each of her thumbs just holding down the lower eyelid while she had a look in.

After about 10 seconds or so, the wee one began to gently whine, which quickly rose into a full-blown scream- she pulled away from her Mum and shot off to the bathroom.

It was only then that I noticed the chopping board, knife, and wee pile of chopped chillies that the Mrs had been cutting up when the wee lass came in to the kitchen

:/

retro83
    Free Member

I had my little 2 year old on my shoulders running for a train we were about to miss. (Non transferable ticket, cost a lot, impossible to get another ticket as all fully booked for xmas…).

There were lots of low beams and doorways and stuff. I carefully stopped and ducked under each.

Last thing before the platform, I had to go through a little wooden beamed room. Under the first beam carefully, no problem. Loads of space.

Under the second beam carefully, again no problem. Picked up the pace a little.

Third beam…DUUUNNNNNNGGGGGG … WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The next thing I see the crowd of people who all saw it happen wince massively and shield their eyes.

Turns out the floor in that room was sloping an undetectable amount uphill but the ceiling wasn’t.

kimbers

My bike fell over on my son when he was 6 months, bars clipped his head, he howled, my wife started crying, my other son started crying, all fine in the end, but i sat with him the rest of the night to make sure he was fine. bike maintenance was banned from the house after that.
    He is four now and has accumulated some impressive scars all by himself.
    A tiny cut on the ear is nothing !

thecaptain
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about the ear but did you really have to waste the NHS resources in such an irresponsible manner? Hope they made you wait the full 4h while they dealt with proper heart attacks and things 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

so it’s either clipped crew cuts

My 19 year old son fancied a crew cut so I said I would do it, I wanted to buy some clippers and starting cutting my own hair anyway.

So got the clippers, cut his hair, all very tidy apart from a wee bit at the front that I missed so tried to tidy it up using the clippers without the guard. I managed to shave a penny sized bald spot into the front of my sons hair.

He was remarkably easy going about about it.

globalti
    Free Member

When I was a kid and everybody smoked a lot my uncle accidentally burned me twice with his cigarette while larking around. I know it was twice because I’ve never forgotten it, 55 years later.

The silly fat oaf crashed his car into the ditch twice while drunk but got off because he knew all the Police from the pub or the Knights of St Columba or something. Eventually he drank himself to an early death.

ransos
    Free Member

Did the same to my daughter. She wasn’t too impressed…

theotherjonv

Just wait till you have to ‘hurt’ them on purpose – giving them a real bollocking, or telling them they can’t have something / can’t do something.

That really hurts, but in truth it’s what parenting’s about.

mintimperial

Sent my boy off down a nice grassy hill on his balance bike, aged 3. He’d been riding for ages and was good at controlling his speed with his feet, but for some reason he just lifted them, let rip and got a really good head of steam going very quickly. Bump, tankslapper, massive crash, much screaming.

“I think I broke my arm and I need a big plaster!” (It took Bangor hospital over eight hours to figure out the exact same thing, mind.)

That was over five years ago and I still go cold thinking about it. He can’t remember a thing, naturally. They mend fast, don’t beat yourself up.

seadog101

I’m not one to enjoy others misfortune, but it is reassuring to read that I am not the only one to have cut the end off a finger when trimming nails of the little ones. Daughter, now twenty, tells me it still hurts. I think she lies.

scud
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    Just wait till you have to ‘hurt’ them on purpose – giving them a real bollocking, or telling them they can’t have something / can’t do something.

That really hurts, but in truth it’s what parenting’s about.

This is what i found hardest when my daughter, then 4 years old, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, having to inject her and prick her finger multiple times a day, but also the constant nagging at her knowing what you are trying to tell her or get her to do is for her own good.

My mum still feels guilt 38 years later, she left me in the room with an iron on ironing board, so i pulled on the cable and managed to stick the steam iron to the back of my hand. Ended up with multiple skin grafts and surgery, but it has never worried me, she didn’t do it in a malicious way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Feeling terrible and want comforting!’ is closed to new replies.