• This topic has 45 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 69er.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Feeling a little underwhelmed by my first sportive…
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I think it’s fairly pointless paying to do a sportive on roads you’re familiar with. I’ve done a few but always outside of my local area and like the fact there’s some backup there, stuff is mapped out and there’s some new faces to ride with. They are a rip-off though and I don’t like the trend of recent sportives that they try and go up every hill in a 30-50 mile radius of the HQ, they should be a challenge yes but not torture :p

traildog
    Free Member

They’d be ok, if it wasn’t for the price. I really don’t see how they can justify it. Clubs have been getting together and doing similar rides for nothing for years and Audaxs have been going for next to nothing.

xiphon
    Free Member

What’s to stop you turning up, and riding ‘public’ roads for free?

leffeboy

What’s to stop you turning up, and riding ‘public’ roads for free?

Nothing I imagine, just like there is nothing to stop you riding somewhere else that day. Oh, it looks interesting and it’s already marked you say….

singletracksurfer

couldn’t make the event myself but would have liked to.

Just makes doing a big ride nicer, more interesting, easier and different. you’ve also got the back up if something goes wrong, you get to meet new riders, and ride new trails (possibly). also enables me to book a whole day off for riding, with Mrs STS.

they’ve got to sign it, have insurance, marshals, refreshments, rider support, an HQ, promotion, 1st aid, timing chips, various admin, etc so think £17 odd isn’t too bad really.

p.s. I don’t like racing (now i’m older and slower now), but these type of events provide a challenge and friendly competition 😉

69er
    Free Member

For me the purpose of riding Sportifs in this country is to build up to ‘proper’ ones. Try La Marmotte, a Grand Day Out!

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Feeling a little underwhelmed by my first sportive…’ is closed to new replies.