Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Feel anxious after a brew?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m getting a 24h ecg and a ultrasound next week as my hearts had a few weird palpitation moments over the last few months – but day to day now I actually feel fine apart from whenever I have a single cup of tea I feel quite jittery and anxious after it – weird type feeling in my throat… strange because I used to drink a fair bit of tea and coffee and never had this nervous feeling… safe to say I’m giving a rest to the brews but just wondered if anyone else had this happen to them randomly?

steeveydoesit
    Free Member

I went for an ECG once for the same symptoms. Nothing showed, even though I had papitations all the time. The second time I saw the doc, he told me to leave out coffee/tea and E numbers. It all stopped! I still drink tea and the odd energy drink, so when I get jittery and my heart starts doing a tap-dance, I know it’s just due to what i’m putting in my body.

koolkurt
    Free Member

Caffeine.

I avoid coffee for this reason. Tea however , in moderation , i seem o.k with. perhaps some of us are more sensitive to it than others. Im guessing it could also be indicative of some underlying anxiety disorder.

steeveydoesit
    Free Member

Im guessing it could also be indicative of some underlying anxiety disorder.

I used to suffer from panic attacks, usually after alot of caffiene. I had one in the car once after a can of Monster. Some people are just sensitive to the stuff though. Maybe you’re one of them mate.

rewski
    Free Member

weird type feeling in my throat

Sounds more than caffeine intolerance, could be a thyroid problem, I had similar symptoms. Now on levothyroxine for life, fine now, I have regular blood tests though, maybe get a blood test too.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Could just be acid reflux. Does it feel like you’ve just swallowed something which hasn’t quite gone down?

rewski
    Free Member

This could be turning into one of those bad advice threads – just go see a GP.

user-removed
    Free Member

If I punch myself in the nuts…….

alexxx
    Free Member

Haha classic STW mixed response 🙂 I’ve had full bloods from A+E – The GP didn’t say they showed anything but said to be safe go for a ultrasound and the 24h ecg (as the one they did also showed nowt).

I live in Morzine so as you can expect the most chilled out guy ever! no underlying problems.. just how many times shall I ride my bike today type questions 😛

I never used to have any reaction to tea or coffee tho – infact total joe average reaction and like I say I used to drink quite a bit of it all – got jittery off coffee but in the classic good way.

The throat thing – nope more like you can feel your pulse just up from your collarbone in your throat kinda tickly.

I am going to get one of those hair strand tests for allergies just so then all bases are covered.. just found it weird that a simple brew could make me that anxious!

butcher

Could also be indicative of anxiety. As are palpitations – though always good to get them checked out.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

whenever I have a single cup of tea

Drink two then you eejit.

Have you recently quit smoking? Nicotine disrupts the way you process caffeine.

steeveydoesit
    Free Member

My wife gets a strange sensation in her throat sometimes. 😆

alexxx
    Free Member

hahah 😀 and nope not quit smoking – well i havent smoked anything for about 2 years

restless
    Free Member

I had a heart scan and ECG monitor for the same reasons; palpatations and the ecg’s i had at the doctors were all over the place so got sent to hospital and they were still all over.

it was all put down to anxiety and the stress of having the ecgs made it worse.
    when i wore my own monitor at home i didnt pick any abnomrality up.

still worth checking out thought to put your mind at rest. it could be anxiety or you could have a heart rythmn problem.

rewski
    Free Member

anxiety and the stress

restless, how apt 😀

funkrodent

Now that the latest DailyMailical advice is that too much tea will give you prostrate cancer, I’m sat here eyeing my tea askance with a finger up me bum. Just another lazy Friday afternoon then…

yunki
    Free Member

I always feel anxious before a brew.. it’s how I know that I need to put the kettle on..

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sweeteners did exactly the same thing to me so now I try and steer clear of them. Hopefully you will find out its something simple like an allergy or reaction to caffeine.

maccruiskeen

<variation on old joke>are you remembering to take the spoon out</variation on old joke>

spacemonkey

Yep, could call for GP and blood tests if you have no joy. Probably only caffeine related … you really don’t want something connected with thyroid problems.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Feel anxious after a brew?’ is closed to new replies.