• This topic has 55 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Fed up with all the mud – think I am becoming a roadie
  • Shred
    Free Member

I’ve been enjoying my road riding this year. I’ve been mainly on road so far this year and did a sportive yesterday (in the rain). I need to do more on the mtb now for an event later in the year but I think I will continue with the road bike.

I’ve enjoyed my time on the road bike so far this year. It helps living in a place where the motorists are aware of cyclists and there are quieter roads.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Find quieter roads

In the South East of England?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of someone claiming that it’s not the SE of England, I used to work away in Harlow from time to time. Although Harlow itself is slightly devoid of charm, there are some beautiful – and quiet – country lanes for taking the road bike on. I used to get out for an hour or two after work and see very few cars. I know this is a busy old island, but once you get out of the big towns and cities there are some beautiful peaceful roads to ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes stilltortoise that is near my neck of the woods and there are miles and miles of nice quiet country lanes for road riding.

Been getting quite into it this year, but a few days in the Lakes enjoying firm rocky trails last weekend has set me back on the path of righteousness.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

My most enjoyable rides this year were on the mountainbike,frozen mud around Rivi in January & a sunny day out in the Yorks Dales in May, but I’m doing more roadbike miles than ever.
    Like a lot of people on here I enjoy riding both,but with all the rain & mud the mountain bike has been gathering dust,at least with the roadbike you can get out after a downpour,going out on the mountainbike means getting covered in mud again.
    I love the convenience of the road bike,just get out the door & go.I wouldn’t look forward to riding on the road in built up urban areas,but around here (West Lancs)there’s good riding on quiet country lanes.
    I reckon we’ll get a dry Autumn so I’ll enjoy the mountainbike then,dusty trails eh?

avdave2

I’m still on my winter bike, rigid forks hub gears and mud x tyres.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you’ve lost your mtb mojo then either

1) change things- ride new places, ride at night, try singlespeed/rigid etc
    2) embrace having found your road mojo. When you get back into mtb you’ll be fitter than ever.

techsmechs
    Free Member

It got me thinking a bit, you wouldn’t go fast on a motor cycle with a live frame would you? Maybe it’s time for the road bike suspension revolution..

Fast vintage racers

carbon337
    Free Member

It was a few combining circumstance that led to me virtually quiting MTB.

Cost of fuel getting anywhere inc local woods. £10 of fuel a few times a week adds up.
    Time to get away on mtb after having our first kid
    Started it and realised I’m actually pretty damn good at roading
    Lost 4.5 stone in about 14 months
    In lat 2 days I’ve done about 100miles of roading from my door at 20mph + avg work out the calorise from that.

I downgraded my MTB as it was just sitting there, MTB mates all told me I was mad but it allowed me to get a super road bike and I love it an don’t miss my five at all. I’ve got a c456 if I fancy the odd day.

Be carefull though the money you save on fuel for MTB trips you will spend on gear that makes you look like a total tart. I love all the aesthetics part of roading and I’m fully signed up to that.

If I was to return to MTB it would probably be the whole euro xc stuff and dabble in xc racing.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I really enjoy riding in the winter, it’s really great to get out on a crisp winters day, or head out on a night ride in the mud (and finish in the pub).

then comes summer, there is the longer days and good fitness from all the rides in the winter which mean really making the most of those lovely dry, fast trails and long days (finished in the pub of course)

except everything is still 6″ deep in mud, and to be honest – i’m not enjoying it, it’s upset my natural rhythm, as much as i’ve enjoyed winter, it’s knowing summer’s round the corner that makes it fun

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Get in! Just Got a PB on Strava, looked through my history, in march my local climb was taking 8:11 tonight 4:04!

oldgit
    Free Member

This forum seems to be mostly populated by roadies these days.

Lets see what an Indian summer brings. Or what happens when the clocks go back, or when it’s sub zero, icy and snowing.
    Even this Sunday spending four hours in the p***ing rain stopping to fix mates punctures and trying to stay upright on diesel coated roundabouts wasn’t that great.

jwmlee
    Free Member

@captain-bastard. Yes, agree totally.

binners

captain_bastard +1. Well put sir!

I don’t mind putting all the layers, waterproofs, Sealskins socks etc on for a dark, cold January night ride. I just expect it. Like I just expect to get coated head to toe in filth

In this miserable summer though, I find I just can’t be arsed and make lame excuses. After all, why the **** should I? I’ve earned my dry dusty trails with all that dark, cold winter riding.

As a result, over the last few years of absolutely lousy summers, I’ve ended up doing more miles in the winter. Hey ho

Actually, the best riding for the past few years has been October/November

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree with OP – the thing that is bugging me at the moment is the rate of equipment failure in these conditions. Getting tired of trips to LBS. Need to sort out broken spokes this morning, but just felt “FI” lets just stick to the road this week and forget MTB for a while. Too bl@@dy expense with the constant repairs.

Oddly, I actually enjoy cleaning a really muddy bike, there is more of an incentive to do a good job. Its too easy to not bother if the bike is only slightly dirty.

I wonder how sales are going this year? With this weather I am so glad that I have held off on new bike. The sound of local mud and sand grinding away at my gears is bad enough on old faithful.

igrf
    Free Member

+2 Cap’n B’stard, the reason I took that monstrosity out yesterday was because I’ve got bloody SAD syndrome and it’s s’posed to be summer, but in truth for me Mountain Biking has always been pretty much a winter sport, the trails round here get so nettled up, we have so much narrow single track, but even the bridle ways have closed out with this amount of rain, the nettle growth has been mental.

This is what temporarily alleviated my melancholy, a bit of weirdness tbh, but it did convince me road biking is still as wrong as it ever was..

Edit, it has rat traps not SPD’s so I haven’t totally transgressed.

FOG

I have just replaced the entire drive train on my HT and I just don’t have the heart to go out and begin the process of reducing it to rusting sh*te again. I actually chose this time of year to do it on the naive assumption it would get a few months of stress free use with barely even a clean before winter kicked in. It’s so wet I can hardly be bothered to go out on my road bike, it takes 3 days for my shoes to dry out! So instead I have been buying stuff I won’t wear and books on the internet. Going up to wharfedale next week and was looking forward to big climbs and great views but debating whether to take the bike at all now and just walk [or hang about in pubs]

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Fed up with all the mud – think I am becoming a roadie’ is closed to new replies.