• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • **** Sqeaky Saddle
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thompson Masterpiece seat post and a Ti railed saddle will not stop squeaking when I pedal. It is definitely the seat post/saddle interface as I can replicate the effect with the seat post removed from the frame and clamped in a vice. Do I :

A) just keep tightening the allen bolts
    B) Remove, clean and refit the saddle (again)
    C) Remove, clean, grease the rails and refit the saddle (again)
    D) Wrap tom duct tape around the rails and refit the saddle
    E) Throw the whole lot out the window and fit an i-beam jobbie

Keva
    Free Member

fixed my creaky Bell Air the other day by greasing the saddle rails and the seat post clamp. Miles better… silent bike again.

Kev

The-Beard

C)

Or pray for rain when you ride as that seems to stop my saddle squeaking.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just give it a light dose of WD40 around the rails.

smiffy

C. but make sure it’s Cu grease for best results.

smiffy

A. and D. are both daft and dangerous ideas

kiwijohn

D doesn’t work.

myheadsashed

lay off the pies it’s not squeaking it’s groaning :mrgreen:

shinsplints

what is tom duct tape ?

nickc

Bel Air and a Thomson post squeaking? cured mine by going with a I beam. before that it was WD40 every now and again.

yossarian
    Free Member

being running the same combo for ages without a problem. try putting a little spray of lube/grease into the area where the saddle rails go into the saddle shell.

PJ266
    Free Member

Aye, its the saddle rails going into the saddle which squeak on mine. lube it up!

PJay
    Free Member

Don’t just tighten up the rails. I’ve seen a couple of Thomson failures on the internet (at the top of the post) that have been blamed on overtightening, apparently the max torque value is under 7Nm, which is suprisingly little. For the Masterpiece it’s even less.

I find a squirt of GT85 helps mine. I’ve used copper grease in the past but this led to slippage but I reckon good old carbon assembly paste with its extra grip might help too.

— Edit —
    Have a look at the first news item here http://www.lhthomson.com/news.asp. The torque value for the Masterpiece is just 5.1Nm!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘**** Sqeaky Saddle’ is closed to new replies.