Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Fear…….
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

what makes you genuinely scared?

I’m talking totally irrational, crippling fear?

I have the totally rational crippling fear of ending up in a care home

lemonysam
    Free Member

I also have a massively irrational fear of my glasses falling off – especially when looking over a cliff. I must look down a hundred times a day and then never come off but put me atop a cliff and I’ll be clutching them to my face like grim death.

cheers_drive

lemonysam – Member
    I also have a massively irrational fear of my glasses falling off – especially when looking over a cliff. I must look down a hundred times a day and then never come off but put me atop a cliff and I’ll be clutching them to my face like grim death.

I have that one too, same with things I’m holding like cameras or phones.

I’m scared of any water I can’t see the bottom of and being gagged (I can’t breathe trough my nose).

gravity-slave
    Free Member

That plughole? You think they’d stick a bit of guarding around it?

That’s the one. There are boats on the res too – I guess it’s no boating when it’s in full flow but all there seems to be is a line of buoys!

I have recurring dreams about getting swept down it.

Freaks me out riding past on a night ride, mid winter when it’s in full flow!

scandal42
    Free Member

Another for heights

When I was younger I had to sit down to go down really steep, high steps. I **** hate looking down the middle of spiral / office type stairs.

The only time I have successfully climbed is in Vietnam in Halong Bay, I was as drunk as a skunk and climbed successfully to the top of one of the tall limestone stacks, god bless the lack of any type of health and safety in Vietnam.

Pigface
    Free Member

I was walking my dog about 15 years ago at about 9 at night, the path I was walking on runs parallel to the road up to the car par at Cwmcarn, suddenly on the other side of the valley above Abercarn a fire started, it was a stolen car being torched I guess but it sparked a real primal fear. Pitch black then these flames just appearing on the mountain. I hurried home and locked the doors. Made me really uneasy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Malham Cove

I was never bothered by Malham Cove until I started climbing and learned that there were routes on it. Simply thinking about what it must be like climbing it really shits me up.

In some ways it’s a rational fear, because it’s pretty damn difficult and exposed (huge overhanging cliff if you don’t know) but it’s really quite irrational since there’s no chance I’ll ever attempt it!

Big victorian engineering gives me the heebie jeebies, things like big dams, water works, the water wheel at styal, that massive plug hole thing at ladybower

I do my weekly lunchtime run in London with two mates who work on the other side of the river. I cross at Tower Bridge because I think it’s cool.. I guess you’d take a different route 🙂

CountZero

I have that one too, same with things I’m holding like cameras or phones.

oops! Me too. Especially the first time I went onto Clevedon Pier, a beautiful old Victorian structure. I was fine taking photos, until I noticed the decking boards had gaps between them. Gaps just big enough for an iPhone to fit through…
    …and directly below is the River Severn.
    I had cramp in my hand from gripping the damned thing by the time I left.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a rule that any expensive piece of kit MUST be secured by strap or lanyard at all times. So if anyone borrows my camera they must use the security provided.

I see tourists all over London holding their expensive SLRs in their hands, which irritates me. My mate removed the lanyard on his first expensive SLR because he thought it made him look like a tourist. He then dropped it in a stream….

hairybiker84
    Free Member

I used to be an Aircarft Engineer and had to do a fair amount of work in the fuel tanks, not the most popular place amongst the other guys didn’t bother me at first. Had guys turn the lights off on me whilst I was in there, no worries I just went to sleep! One day I’m deep inside a 747 wing tank, scraping sealant off some bolts that hold the engine pylons on so the NDT guys could come and check them for cracks (before they break and the engine falls off!) – I must have been contorted in this tiny space for about an hour or so, getting cramped up every now and then, shifting positon to try and get comfortable. Time for tea break – I couldn’t get out! Tried everything I could think of but I couldn’t get myself through the access hole in the tank baffle – I was really losing it by this stage. Had to shut my eyes and try to chill out, eventually worked out how I’d got myself in there. I remember dropping out of the access hatch and seeing some of the guys I worked with, had this strange feeling because they’d had no idea what I’d been going through in there.
    Someone else on another shift lost the plot while he was in one – they had to get a nurse from medical to stab him in the leg with a sedative to calm him down, still don’t know how they managed to get him out!

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Fear…….’ is closed to new replies.