Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • FBK just qualified for the Mega!!
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Just a big hello the Neil (FBK) – just txt'd me as he qualified for the Mega on Sunday yey !!

Couldn't go 🙁 Looking after my wife after a major OP – there is always next year 🙂

Cheesy eh? 🙂

greasystain
    Free Member

Doesn't entering alone guarantee that you qualify?

cynic-al
    Free Member

They let him in on a Marin? 😮

steveh

Greasystain it guarantees you a final race but there are so many people now that there are 4 (i think) different groups and starts depending how you do. The proper mega/A final or whatever you want to call it goes to around the top 50 from each qualifying group.

greasystain
    Free Member

So would it be possible to sign up for the race, then fail to qualify and not get in one of the four final races?

poppa
    Free Member

Maybe the title should read 'FBK qualified for the Mega A final' to appease pedants.

*looks at greasystain* 😉

kimbers

no you get to ride the mega promo which is not mass start as such but as and when you get to the start
    you are still timed and its the same course

foxyrider
    Free Member

FBK qualified for the Mega B final – acutally checking TXT

grumm
    Free Member

Just got a text from my mate that they qualified in 49th, 51st and 76th in their groups – can't remember whether that gets them in the A or B final.

It must be getting easier 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh the other guys he went with qualified for the A Final says on my TXT I just got 🙂

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

marin? that's a whyte e-120 isn't it? A marin in wolf's clothing maybe

foxyrider
    Free Member

No thats his other bike – he's riding a Marin in the Mega 🙂 I used to have a Marin so I shall not enter the Marin argument 🙂 And for God's sake do don't call the Whyte Plastic 😉

njee20
    Free Member

no you get to ride the mega promo which is not mass start as such but as and when you get to the start
    you are still timed and its the same course

Wouldn't that be quite a lot faster and more fun than mass start? Clear lines and all that!

mildred

No, that's the mega affinity that you can show up for anytime until midday. The mega promo (B final) is also a mass start straight after the megavalanche (A final). Based on your time you're given a line letter (a, b, c, d etc). The fast guys are at the front with slower to the back.

After all the mega & promo racers have gone down the snow & glacier it's so cut up and beginning to melt, so no it's a lot slower. Also you don't have crazy French blokes behind you shouting encouraging words such as "alley fat boy, alley".

foxyrider
    Free Member

Allez not Alley 😉 V Funny though mildred 🙂

mildred

Yeah, that'll be the iphone automatic spellchecker that's currently driving me up the wall.

To get the atmos', you have to shout it out loud in an out of breath pseudo-French accent (think the Gendarme from Allo Allo). Then as the crazy fecker passes you, you see he is on a circa 1995 Vario death-trap of a bike, sporting 26×1.95 xc tyres and V-brakes, and you feel shit. However, the race is 43km long, and you'll inevitably pass him on the downhill bits as he lights up a Gauloise and fixes his tenth puncture, with his legs splayed out into the only racing line that you can sensibly take at the warp speed you're now doing (because your arms are too pumped to brake any more).

After doing 3 years of the mega I'm not there this year so I'm glum. Really glum.

I seem to recall Dirt magazine describing the Affinity race as the "Homeless crack addict's race". That made me giggle, having just done it.

Diawl
    Free Member

Don't forget the Germans. More mince than my local butchers.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Bunch of my mates out there, all qualified for the avalanche on Sunday 🙂 all in top 30 of heats too!! Great year for them compared to last year. Must try it myself sometime 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Definitely getting easier then!

M6TTF
    Free Member

nope, they're just faster this year, all of them trained hard!

5lab

there isn't a mega b final

there's a

megaavalanche
    megachallenger
    megaamature
    megaaffinity a
    megaaffinity b

in order. i'm in b as i didn't do a qualification run 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Thought the second one down was Mega Promo?

mildred

It is – I called it B final, because that's effectively what it is.

Unless 5lab is describing changes for this year's race, then that's a format I don't recognise.

5lab

how'd he get on?

i did a run of 1:52:21 in an affinity race – placed 136 of 400 affinity riders. Recon I could have stripped at least 15 mins off that without a broken hand, but had to take it dead easy as it was (still a dumb idea to race at all). Maybe next year!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

This year there were new categories and qualifying positions. Can't remember the exact numbers from the challenger down, though.

Mega Avalanche- 1st-38th out of a 200 person quali (I got in that- well chuffed)

Mega Challenger (39th to 78th ish)

Mega Amateur (70th to 114th ish)

Mega Affinity 1+2- everone lower than 114th (ish).

foxyrider
    Free Member

That makes more sense – I guess Neil was in Challenger as he said it was "B" group 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

The video on Dirt's website is great!
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/week-megavalanche.html

kimbers

what was the course like

was it teh same as last years?

id heard rumours they were gonna make it more DH with less climbs, the vids ive seen didnt seem to show that though

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Getting in the challenger took some doing, bet he's very pleased with himself.

5lab

the course was (I think) the same as previous years – some dh in it but mostly pretty tame. There was a lot more snow than before though – maybe 3 miles at the top, which made things interesting..

I think the group you qualify for is highly dependant on where you are on the start line. I didn't do qualifying (broke my hand 4 days earlier and wanted to rest it to give it the best chance for the race) but watching it, after the fireroad start there were probably only 10 places or so that could be easily made up – ie if you start at the start, there's a reasonable chance you'll finish there. If you start from the back you have to overtake 160 people before you're in the top race, on a 20 min course that's mostly singletrack. There's also a lot of luck involved – I saw a pilup on one side of the fireroad at the start of a heat that probably put 50 riders back 50 places..

incidentally, there's loads of pictures on

http://www.photobreton.com/

select 'megavalanche 2010' in the top box and put your rider number in the bottom.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It felt like 3 miles, but my speedo seemed to think it was only 1.5!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Getting in the challenger took some doing, bet he's very pleased with himself.

Well he was 93rd in his qualifier out of 166 so what that make?

Sorry he was 40th in the Mega Amateur 🙂 Just looked 🙂

Brycey
    Free Member

I'm not sure if there's any truth in it, but I was told if you put a club or race team name on your entry form (or I suppose if you use a race license rather than a doctor's letter) you get a better qualifying start position. I put a club name, and was on the fourth row so it's possible. There are some big bottlenecks, but I don't reckon qualifying starting position would stop you getting in to at least the Megachallenger if you were good and fit enough.

Conor
    Free Member

I DNFed in quali after two crashes, two punctures and a broken brake rotor.

Mega = fast guys
    Challengers = good/average bikers
    Amamtures = mostly average riders and some mincers
    Affinity 1= 100% mincers, and 90% English 🙂
    Affinity 2 = 80% special needs roadies and 20% riders that didn't finish quali.

I finished 13th in the special needs race lol 🙂

Conor
    Free Member

Brycey – Member

I'm not sure if there's any truth in it, but I was told if you put a club or race team name on your entry form (or I suppose if you use a race license rather than a doctor's letter) you get a better qualifying start position. I put a club name, and was on the fourth row so it's possible. There are some big bottlenecks, but I don't reckon qualifying starting position would stop you getting in to at least the Megachallenger if you were good and fit enough.

The front row is reserved for teams and certain riders and groups, the rest is determined by the order in which you registered. Last year I was on row 2, this year row 4, year before row 5. Mates registered at the same time through the one activesport account and they were one number apart and on the same row. So it's down to order of registering.

The row on which you start isn't as critical as you think. Mate Danny started from the back row two years ago and still qualified for the mega. Mate nick had a fall at the start line and was pretty much last by the first corner, he managed to climb back up and finished 45th iicr.

It's all down to agression and pedalling at the start. You can make (or loose) 50 places in a couple minutes.

Watch me pass about 50 riders (2 rows) in a few hundred metres before crashing out (entirely my fault, a mincer got in my way!)

Brycey
    Free Member

My problem was too much aggression off the start. I was so physced (sic) up I went off like a loony when the tapes went up and was on my head after four bike lengths, then hanging out my hoop for the rest of the run.

Totally agree though Conor, your position is decided by how you start, I was on Row Z for the Megachallenger, but finished 117th and that was with people passing me on the climbs; so I must have made 200+ places on the snow!!!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘FBK just qualified for the Mega!!’ is closed to new replies.