Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • favourite steam engine
  • CountZero

Always loved the big iconic locos, but these little ones have a particular place in my heart:

When I was at school, Chippenham still had a marshalling yard, with one or two little Pannier Tank locos. A class-mate, Steven Light, was lucky enough to have a dad who drove it, so we’d often be found up the station train-spotting, and if he was up there, we’d get up onto the footplate, and spend a happy hour or two trundling around the station! Brilliant fun, and back then there was a spur that went to the middle of the Western Arches, Brunel’s bridge over the main road, and occasionally we’d sit on the bridge watching people and traffic below.
    Was most disappointed when the little tanky was replaced with a diesels shunter. Almost antiseptically clean by comparison.

unklehomered
    Free Member

mattbee is talking my language

My own absolute fave is the Collett Goods 0-6-0

but I love a small tank, 0-6-0 mind…

Klunk
    Free Member

truely revolutionary

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cotic853
    Free Member

High performance steam power in 1903 – 0 to 30mph in 30 seconds, Great Eastern Railway’s ‘Decapod’ built to prove steam could be as fast as electrics but sadly remained an experimental oddity

epicyclo

PePPeR – Member
    Mines this one…

Can you identify the one I found in Oz?

Also I didn’t realise they preserved Turbinia. Where is it on display?

shifter
    Free Member

Ben Cooper’s for me. Proper smooth engines 🙂

mogrim

Also I didn’t realise they preserved Turbinia. Where is it on display?

I was just going to ask the same thing, what museum is that?

bencooper
    Free Member

Turbinia’s in Newcastle, isn’t it? I love the story of the demonstration too, Charles Parsons was being ignored by the Admiralty so he turned up uninvited at Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee navy review, and charged about at high speed showing off, with a Navy boat trying and failing to catch him 😉

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    Turbinia’s in Newcastle, isn’t it? I love the story of the demonstration too, Charles Parsons was being ignored by the Admiralty so he turned up uninvited at Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee navy review, and charged about at high speed showing off, with a Navy boat trying and failing to catch him

I loved that tale too.

Imagine the greatest and most powerful fleet the world had ever known, and this mosquito buzzing through them and they couldn’t do a thing. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Southern Pacific AC-12 Cab Forward for me. Built in response to drivers suffocating in the huge snow sheds over California’s Donner Pass. Oil fired, so they could rotate the front part of the loco and put the crew in front of the funnel, and give them far better visibility. They’re massive too.

They scrapped 19 of the 20 of them, with one preserved in non-working order in Sacremento. Travesty.

Klunk
    Free Member

Turbinia’s in Newcastle, isn’t it?

yep she’s in the Discovery Museum though the engines are on display at the Science Museum London.

mogrim

Imagine the greatest and most powerful fleet the world had ever known, and this mosquito buzzing through them and they couldn’t do a thing.

I imagine they could have just blown him out of the water, but that would have been rather unsporting 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘favourite steam engine’ is closed to new replies.