Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • favourite steam engine
  • racefaceec90

this for me

love steam engines (my uncle used to work at gwr in swindon).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its got to be Mallard for me too but to be honest, any steam engine is awesome.

JulianA
    Free Member

A4s are beautiful.

Saw this loco at Dobwalls 15 – 20 years ago. Amazing piece of engineering. Love to see a full size one!

Drac

Valve’s

Northwind

These are ridiculously bad-ass, claimed to be the most powerful ever built, just barely shy of 8000hp. Ugly tender but there’s something really right about the engine, like it was machined out of a solid lump of Powah.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

This one at New Lanark. It was one of our apprentice projects, almost needed time team to dig it out of the ground at the front of that hall. Unfortunately we never got it running on steam, wished I’d paid more attention at the time as we treated it all as a bit of a jolly, never really going to get the chance to do something like that again.

oldnick

I was going to post up my Mamod from when I were a nipper, but NW’s 8000HP pushes it close…

JulianA
    Free Member

Went to Kempton Steam Museum the other day. This was awesome:

Philby

Mallard or Flying Scotsman

aphex_2k
    Free Member
    mattbee

The Manchester Regiment.
    Odd reason. My dad was a civil engineer working for Monk. He also built models trains, as a hobby at first and then after leaving his job for a living. The Manchester Regiment in 00 scale was the first he sold, and was gifter back to me by a collector from the states when he found out my dad had died. He even made a couple of models for the museum in York when that opened….

Harry_the_Spider

Have you got any pictures of your dad’s work?

bencooper
    Free Member

How about some traction engines?

Hydro-Electric Brochure 28 by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

mogrim

I’ve always wanted one of these:

globalti
    Free Member

When I lived in Rossendale the East Lancs Railway engines used to chuff past my house, close enough for the exhausts to rattle my windows. One day the Nigel Gresley came whizzing past and my neighbour Rita exclaimed: “Eeeh! Did ya see that? It were that Nigel Dempster!”

In a similar vein I once asked her son Jamie what she and her BF liked to drink because I wanted to thank them for looking after my house while I was on trips. He replied that they enjoyed the odd glass of whisky, and when I asked him if he knew the brand he replied: “It’s the one with the duck on the label”.

bencooper
    Free Member

The nuclear one – yes, definitely 😉

I’ve got one of the conventional ones about somewhere – I should dig it out for the offspring to burn herself on.

epicyclo

This one.

I found it in the bush near an abandoned mine about 150 miles from Mt Isa. (outback North Queensland, edge of the desert)

midlifecrashes

Sandwich

The Kew 90 (beam weighs 32 tons) the largest still under steam. The building it is in quite good too.

epicyclo

I love Victorian cast iron work. It’s industrial art IMO, and they didn’t know the meaning of obsolescence. These things were built to run forever.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This one:

“Yeah, that one!”

PiknMix
    Free Member

Mine is the 1943 8F 48305, quite unremarkable in every sense except this is the engine my Dads ashes went into. Steaming over Cropston reservoir on the Great Central I nearly lost the bloody urn in the firebox due to the draw on it.
    It should have been a sad day but riding that footplate was one of the best experiences of my life.

bencooper
    Free Member

I love Victorian cast iron work. It’s industrial art IMO, and they didn’t know the meaning of obsolescence. These things were built to run forever.

Absolutely – on a much smaller scale, I just got an old spoke machine:

No idea of the age, could easily be 80 years old, still works perfectly.

sharkbait
    Free Member

had hours and hours of fun with one of these as a lad – still got it. Shame they don’t let kids play with meths anymore!

scaled
    Free Member

I could ask my step dad, I’m only here until Saturday though, so it would be unwise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5P1dUZdbBcmVWQxSkFPRTNHOU0/edit?usp=sharing

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    Absolutely – on a much smaller scale, I just got an old spoke machine…

That looks like the model that can handle car and motorbike spokes.

I have a similar age one, but definitely bike only. Got it about 40 years ago from a bicycle shop that was closing down and which had been on the go since the 1880s. The old guy said he thought that and the vice i got from them were from when the shop opened.

Swelper
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6MO8hU–Io[/video]

Steam engines. Love em all

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

mallard’s pretty cool. but Sir Nigel Gresley works and regualry runs on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

Tornado is always worth a mention as the last steam train built in Britain, and just built as a hobby project by a bunch of nutters enthusiasts.

For Harry Potter fans, there’s the Jacobite, but that’s probably more about the trip (Fort William-Mallaig) than the train

But for futuristic style, it would have to be the Duchess of Hamilton

Although the Waverly has a pretty neat 2100 bhp three-crank diagonal triple-expansion marine steam engine, which is nice if you like that kind of thing

bencooper
    Free Member

That looks like the model that can handle car and motorbike spokes.

I’m sure it could with different dies – at the moment it’s got a 14G die so perfect for bikes.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Pretty much the original “modern” train, a bit of local history and one of those things that’s simple enough that you can figure out how it works* whilst still being an awesome feat of engineering:

*as a non-engineering type.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

When I was a kid we used to help clean the engines at worth valley. It was quite thrilling for a 12 yo, clambering right on top of the fire box and boiler to clean the funnels, can’t imagine a couple of kids being allowed to do it now.

epicyclo

Swelper – Member
    Steam engines. Love em all

That looks very much like the little brother of the one I found in the bush.

Great to see the wheelies at the end of the drag. Pure torque… 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Took our lad for a ride in a brake van towed by this chap the other day. It was THE MOST EXCITING THING EVER!

bencooper
    Free Member

Would steam turbines be pushing my luck?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5oDRK5]Turbine Diptych[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Old Parsons ones especially are lovely:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6Wuw15]Tullis Russell 17[/url] by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Nobby

Sir Nigel Gresley +1

Also have a soft spot for this:

D0NK

igmc

mattbee

Couple of pics of The. Manchester Regiment, scratch built plus another of a little GWR loco that was customised from a kit for a collector who wanted that specific loco. Got a couple of others but they are in the loft. Wish I’d inherited his model making abilities!

Plus two more.

PePPeR

Mines this one

I even get to drive it! 😉

Its the big bugger at the front and its a Fowler Z7 imported back from Africa in the Seventies and restored.

tuffty
    Free Member

This is my favourite. I was lucky to live near “Steamtown” Carnforth as a kid and this is where she used to live in the 70’s, they used to do footplate rides at weekends…………..oh the good old days

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘favourite steam engine’ is closed to new replies.