Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Favourite spoon, fork cutlery etc etc – am I quite mad, or normal-ish?
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

this all sounds perfectly normal to me.

but my wife thinks i’m a weirdo.

btw, if anyone knows where i can buy a set of ‘ikea 365’ cutlery, i’d be very grateful…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Mrs ADH’s parents bought us a really nice set some time ago.

They have really heavy, though not overly large, artfully sculpted rounded-off square section metal handles.

The handles are so heavy they tend to give my puny fingers cramp, and the tendency to eject themselves from bowls or plates.

So I tend to continue using the single fork I have remaining from the pound-shop set I bought as a student 15 years ago … if I bother with a knife, I use one of the serrated kitchen knives that were bought for me by a uni housemate who was frustrated by me always stealing his.

A genuine first world problem!

Andy

Alveston by Robert Welch still as stunning as when it was designed in 1962 8)

bearnecessities

I’m having a comedown.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hair of the dog!

bearnecessities

“Red and yella and grin and blooo”

*hic*

welshfarmer

Yes, yes, and thrice yes. I have a knife (well a few of them really) that were my grandparents and which I coveted from a very young age. When the family of vultures were grabbing what they could when my Gran passed away, all I took was the knives. That was all I wanted. I use them every day and won’t use any of the others in the house. At least 70 years old, and still good. Sheffield steel see 🙂

Northwind

Hah, that’s exactly the same as ours. We inherited a second set from my grandma that have cheesy mother of pearl handles so they’re in the cupboard for spares. Spreading bread with anything else is just wrong

ourmaninthenorth

We have three of those. Handles a bit pitted from machine washing.

Yes, preferred butter and jam spreading knife – just the right amount of give in the hand.

Cougar

I’ve a couple too, and yes, unbeatable butter knives.

Northwind

Also the weapon of choice for separating stubborn lego bricks

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Errrm, we have two cutlery drawers, His and Hers 😳
    He doesn’t like mine, reckons it’s too heavy; I don’t like his, too light and too thin to hold comfortably.

froggy67
    Free Member

Guilty as charged, two full shelves and one mug tree, but the coffee doesn’t taste right unless it comes from my special mug. Mrs F can’t understand why I will keep recycling only one mug rather than get another out of the cupboard

pictonroad

I stole this one, the sin/saved loop has caught me out.

slowoldman

You’d put a box of frogs to shame! Cutlery either works or it doesn’t, I can’t see how you can have a favourite.

Good cutlery, crockery and glasses make a huge difference to the enjoyment of a meal. Unless you class McD as a meal.

Robert Welch “Palm” here.

CountZero

I have a favourite knife, not unlike welshfarmer’s, been in the family longer than I have, possibly eighty-odd years old, and as Cougar says, just perfect for spreading butter on crusty bread.
    I’ve also got a favourite spoon, ‘acquired’ from work, after the one I took with me when I started there went missing.
    This one is really heavy, and very smooth and tactile. I’ve never seen another like it, with the wavy contoured stem:
    [/url]Untitled by Adrian Hillier, on Flickr

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There’s some fantastic responses on this 😀 I am especially jealous of the Jesus-spoon; you’d better be careful not to use it to eat shellfish though – I don’t think god likes that*.

It’s good to know I’m not alone, next meeting same time next week?

*or was it gay shellfish? I forget.

Scapegoat

Jeez, where do I start.
    1. Sunday best is Arthur Price
    2. Spoon. I have one spoon left over from a previous set. It’s the right shape for eating my porridge. If it’s not in the drawer I have to find it and wash it, the replacements are the wrong shape completely. The comforting feel of its beaded-edged handle soothes my morning mood immeasurably.
    3. Knives and forks. This is the cause of endless discussion chez scape. It is wrong to eat any food with a knife and fork which are not both proper dinner-sized; the smaller forks are for puddings, and the smaller knives are for sideplates. A combination of different sizes will spoil my meal, no matter how mad you make me out to be. I didn’t reach this age and status by eating with incorrectly sized cutlery. On the subject of forks, I have “appropriated” a selection of cheap canteen style forks for you kids to take to college to eat your lunches with. If you take the large matching dinner forks with you and then leave them festering in your college bag, don’t expect to start eating your evening meal until they have all been accounted for, and are present and correct, on the table, with a corresponding dinner knife. And yes, it does matter dear. You chose to buy a cutlery set with only four knives and forks, and I will not allow us to descend to a situation where we have a ragbag of mis-matched cutlery on the table.
    4. Spreading butter. The narrow tipped dinner knives we have now got in the drawer are great for cutting and eating meat. They are not the right shape for spreading butter. The one remaining beaded edged one from the same set as my porridge spoon does the job nicely.The other one, the one with the square-edged handle, would have been great, but the tip is the wrong shape after you used it as a screwdriver. It was crap for eating with though, as the end of the handle dug into my palm.
    5. I like my red mug, because it holds an adult portion of tea and coffee. Those stupid white porcelain mugs are not the right size or shape for drinking out of, although the are great for measuring porridge oats and water in the morning. My red mug does NOT need putting in the dishwasher every time you find it on a table, work surface, or next to my armchair. I will use it through the day, rinsing it if I have to, but it gets washed every morning and then can be re-used as and when required.

D0NK

we have bits of several cutlery sets, I prefer the knife from my wife’s set (wide blade, smooth edges good for spreading) but the spoons are too thick, can’t get a good scraping action around the edge of dishes, prefer spoons from one of the other two sets, not much in it. Forks I’m not too fussy about except the black handled set, only 3 tines and spaced too far apart, madness. Teaspoons, with kids we got through/lost loads so bought several packs, cheap teaspoons are short changing you, they’re shallower, you need to up your sugar count in brews.

I most definitely have a favourite mug, about one and a half time oversize, handle was broken off ages ago but I put up with it. Perfect size and shape, easy to get the tea/milk proportions spot on and filled to the brim. Family have bought me several replacements for it but none have made the grade.

slowoldman

Scapegoat understands. I agree re. correct and matching knife, fork, spoon.

Oh and I have a lovely little Sabatier paring knife which a “friend” of mine discovered wasn’t ideally suited to opening a tin. I was NOT impressed.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Favourite spoon, fork cutlery etc etc – am I quite mad, or normal-ish?’ is closed to new replies.