Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Favourite spoon, fork cutlery etc etc – am I quite mad, or normal-ish?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So,

I’ve had this for years. When I moved out of my folks place, it’s one of the very few things I took with me. Eating breakfast without it just feels odd.

The balance, solidity, rounded edges and the thick metal all combine to make it a spectacular spoonish experience 😀

Am I the only one? Pics of yours if you feel similarly.

Also, is this

a fork or a threek?

everyone
    Free Member

You’d put a box of frogs to shame! Cutlery either works or it doesn’t, I can’t see how you can have a favourite.

colp

I think you need to get a handle on it before it’s too late.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Oh contraire , @tout la monde!

I have a favourite butter knife that I pinched from my mum’s house when I left 24 years ago. I am quite particular about cutlery. But I have spent a whole career in the Catering business.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it’s just you, or just you thats been released back into the community.

You clearly have some form of emotional attachment to cutlery, that’s not right.

bearnecessities

Totally on board with this.

This is Florence. Her ergonomic handle and dainty pointy bits make her my go-to receptacle for consumption of my daily lunch. My ‘usual’ cutlery (viners, natch) isn’t a patch on her turkey piercing capabilities.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, I am quite fussy about this sort of thing! Spoon too big will ruin my pudding. Tea spoon to deep = rubbish yogurt experience.
    I could NEVER use that abomination of a fork up there (gfs’s one)! Needs to be flat and smooth with 4 prongs! (like bear’s… phwoar! that’s a beauty)

I am quite weird in that I have no photos of my cutlery though.

johndoh
    Free Member

My 5 year old daughter has to have her special spoon for breakfast or she gets quite cross.

She is 5 years old.

prongs

[pedant]tines[/pedant]

breadcrumb

There are certain knife’s and forks that I prefer to use. No emotional attachment though.

nealglover
    Free Member

You’d put a box of frogs to shame! Cutlery either works or it doesn’t

Only if your not bothered about how your food tastes 😉

http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-2-21.pdf

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

fork up there (gfs’s one)

Sir! You wrong me most deeply. That is a photo of a silver threek from an auction site! I am more of a

Viners of Sheffield England Viners of Sheffield England
    kinda guy [right-on, bn].

Cutlery either works or it doesn’t

Yeah, I guess, but this works especially well for my gob, ergonomically it’s pretty good. Nuance my friend 😀

She is 5 years old.

I can survive without it. On Monday I was eating baked beans from the can [on the train on the way to MNPR] and I had to use a nasty thin stamped fork. I didn’t complain, no siree.

Dobbo

I get the OP’s fork but not the 1970’s British Rail spoon.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

1970’s British Rail spoon

Is it really?! That’s amazing! My oldschool leftwing status deepens beyond even my ken!

willard

I have a favourite spork, so I can understand you on this. I also have a favourite mug at my mum’s house that I insist on using every time I go there. She keeps trying to get me to use something else for tea, or to take it home with me, but I’ve had that mug since before Uni (mid-90s I guess) and I just like using it.

It’s not even a flashy mug either. It just holds the right amount of tea.

oxym0r0n

My favourite knife, until I discovered the Fabric Scoop flat

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not all our cutlery matches but I will admit, there is a particular style in there that I favour.

Northwind

This is actually the Perfect Teaspoon. It’s just kind of a shame it’s for feeding babies with, you feel a bit selfconscious using one as a 35 year old.

Cougar

I have a favourite mug. It’s just a bit bigger than normal, and used to belong to my grandfather before he died.

a fork or a threek?

Is a triple-tined fork not a trident?

padkinson
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say I have a favourite fork/spoon/knife, but there are definitely ones that I dislike. Like the stupid curvy Ikea ones they have at my girlfriend’s house, or the plastic handled ones we have for camping.

mogrim

I wouldn’t say I have a favourite fork/spoon/knife, but there are definitely ones that I dislike.

Me too: some horrible square (x-section) plastic handled cutlery that my wife bought for special occasions, horrible things. Nasty to hold.

Also got some steak knives a bit like this, too thin for my liking:

andytherocketeer

have a favourite egg cup
    it has a picture of a hare sitting on the back of a tortoise dangling a carrot in front of the tortoises nose
    it’s at least 40 years old

cutlery is all the same. comes in a 24 pack.

lunge

Oh yes, I have favourite cutlery. For a start the knife and fork (and spoon if in use) all have to match, my wife just uses any that comes to hand, I don’t like that at all.

The cutlery need a good weight and to be a good size, fork needs long tines, knife needs good serration and a thick handle, for a spoon, size is the key, that spoon the OP posted looks spot on.

Yes, I am a sad, sad man.

ThePinkster

Gentlemen, you talk of Viners as if it’s something special.

Anyone who really appreciates cutlery would have Arthur Price way above Viners on their preferred list of tabletop tooling.

bearnecessities

Anyhow. What knife for cutting up today’s office cake offering?

YES! 😀

somafunk

I have a favourite Vargo Ti spork i tend to use for pretty much everything, i have other sporks but the size of the tines on this particular one are just perfect, i use it for scrambled eggs in the morning and more often than not i use it for all other meals as well (dependant on what i’ve cooked).

My new favourite mug is the Aplkit Kelvin, just feels very nice in the hand and to drink from, with the lid fitted it keeps my tea warm for ages

I also have a favourite plate and pasta/stir fry bowl……..i guess it’s no surprise that i am single 😀

tang
    Free Member

We were given a Robert Welsh Iona set from Granny, not bad.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a preferred teaspoon for my boiled eggs. Spoon must be small and sharp enough to go in through the opening and dislodge the egg white inside once Ive finished the dunking bit.

EDIT

tang – Member

appropriate name given the subject!

mogrim

Anyhow. What knife for cutting up today’s office cake offering?

Damn you bearnecessities, you and your delicious looking cake 👿

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

And he only had to complete a few simple physics puzzles to get it!

daftvader
    Free Member

i have a favourite set of chopsticks… snowpeak titanium and birch ones that take down…. these ones…

cchris2lou

I have a favourite spoon that I use all the time.
    It is a Robert Welch that I borrowed from first class in the Eurostar.
    Perfect shape and weight.

Cougar

I have a favourite Vargo Ti spork

That’s not a spork, it’s a foon.

righog
    Free Member

We somehow acquired a Knife similar to that horrible steak knife ^^^^.

It then proceeded to get itself co mingled with our day to day knives.

Last week I picked it up once to often, It now resides in the plant pot underneath the kitchen window.

tthew

My yoghurt spoon disappeared from the drawer a few months back. 😥 It was from the MCC, stamped on the handle. No one will admit to loosing it.

somafunk

That’s not a spork, it’s a foon.

Pfttt, if you can stab yourself in the back of the hand it’s a spork in my book, and Vargo describe it as a spork so that’s good enough for me 😀

chvck
    Free Member

I dont have a favourite fork/knife/spoon per say but I have various “models” (types, I dunno) of them and I have a favourite model. Until quite recently there was only one “model” I could use at my parents, I just couldn’t use the others.

aa
    Free Member

I totally agree with gofasterstripes.

I absolutely have a favourite yoghurt spoon that I’ve had for 16 years (but is currently missing….) fabulous flat handle and spoon bit.

If anyone knows of a uk seller of nest cutlery I’d be grateful.

amedias
    Free Member

I too have a preferred yoghurting spoon that I keep in my drawer at work, I won’t say I *must* use it, but it’s certainly a preference and if it goes missing I will pursue it around the office until I find it again.

which is how this came to appear on my desk one day after a particularly fretful few days of badgering my co-workers to find out where it had gone.

plumber
    Free Member

I’d never though of this before but I too have this affliction

perfect size and heavy dining plate my dad ‘acquired’ from a local pub when it was being refurbished 40 years ago – the only thing I took from the family house – perfect for cheese sandwiches above all other things

original style alpkit Ti Spork – for stirring tea and yoghurt eating there is nothing better

Also have a morrisons metal bowl for making salad dressings

Complete weirdo now I come to think about it

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, I do have preferred cutlery. Trouble is, I haven’t found the ideal knife, fork, spoon set.

I do like some of the modern Arthur Price items.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Favourite spoon, fork cutlery etc etc – am I quite mad, or normal-ish?’ is closed to new replies.