Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Favourite sets of stairs and other obstacles? cheeky urban riding!
  • kaesae
    Free Member

There are quite a few sets of stairs in edinburgh that I love, the set at the blackford hills/royal observatory are fun and the sets at Arthurs seat are also superb.

Ever since I started biking I have always been into riding stairs and other urban features. Does anyone else have any cheeky urban terrain they like to ride. If so where about and do you have any photo?

Also are there any in and around Edinburgh, I should be looking to ride?

Stoner
    Free Member

the escalators at moorgate tube station

Garry_Lager

There’s a good set of stairs down from Spylaw on the water of leith, round the back of the main path when it goes through the tunnel. Cheeky wee bend to them that can give you pause for thought.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

There’s a few sets round my way. Can’t help myself. There’s a nice big big set that drop down to the canal with a beer garden on the other side. Always good to come flying down on a hot summer’s day. 😀

BoardinBob

The stairs down to Milngavie Train station from the pedestrian bit of the town centre. Feel like Steve Peat blasting down them but probably look more like a clumsy, mincing oaf.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve commuted to the shop a few times by heading along the Water of Leith, then the canal to Tollcross. By this point, I’m usually pretty mud-splattered. Then the actual, proper, cycle route goes through the Scottish Widows building, Conference Square and across the Western Approach Road ending in Rutland Square. The planners have thoughtfully included some ramps on the route, but it’s more fun launching down the steps – usually to the amusement/chagrin of the pedestrians

kaesae
    Free Member

The stairs at the water of leith are cool, some are spaced out so a bit more tricky.

Stoner, the escalator photo rocks! very nice!!!

Is it ther escalator going down or up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I ocasionally commute along the South Bank….Which is nice.

psychle
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlF4nRUbKmc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

If I could get a bike in here, I’d give this a go 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Steps from the canal to the WOL where the viaduct goes over the visitor centre.

Also a big set of steps in Stockbridge down the Colonies and the public baths, starting about here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=324692&Y=674881&A=Y&Z=110

BoardinBob

Do they still run that urban mtb race in edinburgh? Some of the stairs on that looked 😯 and I’m sure there are pics of someone going over the bars on them

druidh
    Free Member

Kit – Member
    Also a big set of steps in Stockbridge down the Colonies and the public baths,

“The Snakey”. That’s what we called it when I lived there (45 years ago….)

druidh
    Free Member

BB – that was just a one-off.

The stairs are still there though…..

Stoner
    Free Member

The escalator was going up K. We reckoned it would be safer than have it contributing to my speed picking up going down 🙂

You cant brake a lot and thee leading edge of those metal stairs is quite sharp.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This set at Westferry Circus. Actually easier to ride them fast, which looks more impressive to any bystanders.

Pic doesn’t make them look all that impressive though.

These ones on the north side of the Millenium Bridge are good too, but you need someone at the bottom to warn anyone who might want to walk up.

Oh, and all steps should be ridden on a hardtail. Full suss is cheating…

DezB
    Free Member

I may be on my own here, but I think riding down stairs is rubbish.
    Obviously there may be exceptions like really steep and uneven stairs, but mainly it’s brrrrrrpppp and done innit. (Apart from going back for your dropped water bottle) (or teeth)

brakes
    Free Member

psychle – loving that!

Junkyard
    Free Member

not really urban though

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Dez; it looks impressive to bystanders, in town. Stairs are harder than a soft earthy trail, and the steepness means you can pick up a lot of speed. A big long set can be quite exhilarating.

The penalty for failure can be much pain, loss of teef, and far, far worser; public humiliation.

There’s a risk of Babylonian Interference, too. It’s ok if it’s just Chocolate Teapots, you can just laugh and ride off, but if it’s Full Fat Feds, you can be in trouble. I once had to hide in the Barbican when some C of L 5-0 spotted me doing something naughty on my bicycle. 😳

warton
    Free Member

theres a set that goes from the castle in newcastle down to the quayside, steep, twisty and slippy. only cleared them once dab free…

Then of course there’s dog leap stairs in newcastle, balls of steel needed, high, and slippy:

BoardinBob

the big steps in Park Circus in the west end of Glasgow will rattle your fillings loose

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m not very adventurous when it comes to stairs, but there are a few cheeky little jumps to be had at St Vincent Place in Edinburgh.

There are a few easy sets around the Parliament / Dynamic Earth area too.

DezB
    Free Member

A big long set can be quite exhilarating.
    That’s where I disagree.

See there’s this set I used to ride on my old rigid – they go down to a subway, so there’s stairs-width of a path-wall. So it was brrrrrrppp! Brake! Quite fun. I look at them now and think Why?

Then, before I moved, there was a set by Hilsea ramparts, long, uneven, really rough old concrete slabs – never rode them, until the last time I was there before I moved away. Psyched myself up… went for it, brrrpppp. Done. Oh.

Look at Junkyard’s pic. Now, which would be better, the stairs? or the grass bank on the right?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Not quite urban and not far from Junkyard’s offering

And no its not me with the lovely pink bell (standard on a Diva I think), I’m on the other side of the camera.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now, which would be better, the stairs? or the grass bank on the right?

Stairs. Looks more rad and gnarly.

kimbers

back when i only had a rigid kona the steps from the square at aber university were a challenge

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    stumpy01

On my drive to work I pass loads of pedestrian walkways over the road. Some of them are proper steps (and a separate ramp) that look good to practice riding down – especially the ones with 90/180 degree turns.
    Others have the long/shallow type of step & look like they’d be good to practice riding up.

Never ridden any of them though.

In Spain with Ciclo Montana last year we did a 2 day tour to Granada that involved a certain amount of urban riding in the evening. It was excellent fun, riding round the city centre in the evening in approximately 35 deg. heat.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6PnM095S0[/video]

How to ride steps properly.

😉

stevemtb
    Free Member

There’s a set in my work that I would absolutely love to ride. Problem is they’re in a building, we’re not allowed bikes inside and they end right by the security desk.

I also keep thinking about trying the set in my flat. It’s only about 10 steps then a tight turn, 10 more, another tight turn and so on. Get the feeling they’re that steep it would be straight into the wall but if it worked….

jedi

we got a big 30/30 double set to jump down, land on 2nd set and go under subway and use the next 15/15 set as a step up 🙂

ajf
    Free Member

the steps at the University of leeds are pretty good. Obviously I don’t do them the same justice as danny macaskill (12 seconds in)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdc8XEfZKbE[/video]

kaesae
    Free Member

Cool, psychle that was awsome! get one of your mates to fake a fit and sneak on with your bike 😉

Junkyard, those steps look very cool, I think I would rather do the steps than the grass verge 😯

As for all the other photo, cheers!

Has anyone done the steps up the top of Arthurs seat? I’ve walked down them a few times but I’ve never had a go at them.

13thfloormonk

Waterstone’s Close to Cockburn street for the mini gap set at the top, then the big fly off on the first of the three big sets, then just hold on for teh alst two sets.

Running parallel to Waterstone’s is Advocate’s close, lots of irregular sets ending abruptly in a 90deg bend.

There’s a great gap at dynamic earth, in amongst the big ‘colosseum’ steps. Greasy curved run in then a gap over a 4 foot set and running out into the bus turning circle. Do it quick before the security comes out!

A nice wee gap behind the george square library, but you need a spotter else you land it and shoot out onto the road. Also the steps off Princes St into the Waverley train station have a potential three gaps, only one of which (the easy middle one) I did myself, but I saw the top one being done, and know of the third one being done also.

Spent lots of time at uni dinging rims and bending pedal axles 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

Royal mile, is always good! 😀

dunsapie
    Free Member

Nice set of steps from Dunsapie Loch to Duddingston Loch. First rode them on a fully rigid ’90s bike when I first moved up to Edinburgh. Can go a lot faster and jump a few on my full sus, nice little drop off near the house near the bottom, turn left and go to the Sheeps Heid for a pint.
    Another set by Pollock halls, take the path on the left from Queens Drive just as the road starts going down hill, a set of steps takes you down to one area of grass then another set of steps down the bank to the next level of grass.
    Also some interesting looking steps at Asda at the Jewel.

slugwash
    Free Member

We’ve got a lovely wooden floored velodrome in our town……

dangriff
    Free Member

I’ve designed a serious set of stairs shortly to be built in Port Talbot. It’s at the pedestrian access to the Tata steelworks at the bridge over the railway. Will be 5 flights of 13 steps, dropping 8m with only a 35 degree dogleg part way down. It’s the most current regulations will allow.

I’ll be “testing” it before the bridge opens, and have made sure the Tata steelworks security turnstile is after the stairs, therefore putting the stairs on the public side 😀

Macgyver

Greenwich or the Woolwich foot tunnels are quite good to.

kaesae
    Free Member

dunsapie – Member
    Nice set of steps from Dunsapie Loch to Duddingston Loch. First rode them on a fully rigid ’90s bike when I first moved up to Edinburgh. Can go a lot faster and jump a few on my full sus, nice little drop off near the house near the bottom, turn left and go to the Sheeps Heid for a pint.
    Another set by Pollock halls, take the path on the left from Queens Drive just as the road starts going down hill, a set of steps takes you down to one area of grass then another set of steps down the bank to the next level of grass.
    Also some interesting looking steps at Asda at the Jewel.

I did those steps at Arthurs seat on tuesday, I’m having another shot in about an hour and I do the ones at asda every few days when I leave the car and take my bike 😀 Still the steps up the top of Arthurs seat someone must have had a go at those?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Favourite sets of stairs and other obstacles? cheeky urban riding!’ is closed to new replies.